Larger Kiwi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
arty

Post by arty »

I would prefer not having a clip on a knife like this.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Darkish dark wire clip.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

no clip, thanks!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

If a clip, make it one that when removed doesn't leave unsightly traces. (Like on the Kopa.)

My suggestion for a clip would be one like Spyderco currently employs on the PPT. Frankly, I wish Spyderco would migrate the vast majority of its models to this style of clip.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Absolutely, no clip.
IMHO, small or medium size gents knife doesn't need a clip. Or at least the clip need to be easy removable like on Persian.
Or we are talking about new tactical/utility Kiwi? Wire clip with full G10 or FRN scales than.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Clip? On a Kiwi? Especially with bolsters and scales of natural materials? No, thanks. That would be a deal breaker for me.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
angusW

Post by angusW »

If it's going to be a bit larger then maybe a clip would be a good idea. Anything large in the pocket like a knife or flashlight is a bit uncomfortable but hang it up and it's very manageable.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

yablanowitz wrote:Clip? On a Kiwi? Especially with bolsters and scales of natural materials? No, thanks. That would be a deal breaker for me.
Agreed. Can't stand the clip on the Kopa and would not like it on the Kiwi--even if it is a bigger Kiwi. Here's to hoping the new Kiwi is not too big to fit comfortably in a front pocket.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

I think people may be overlooking one of the most beautiful things about having a clip... it can easily be removed if you don't like it. :)
dj moonbat wrote:If a clip, make it one that when removed doesn't leave unsightly traces. (Like on the Kopa.)

My suggestion for a clip would be one like Spyderco currently employs on the PPT. Frankly, I wish Spyderco would migrate the vast majority of its models to this style of clip.
I agree. The PPT clip would be the best compromise.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

PPT clip is too long...I think that for this knife a clip that is short would be best...like half the length of what the PPT has...
On the hunt for...
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:PPT clip is too long...I think that for this knife a clip that is short would be best...like half the length of what the PPT has...
I just meant the method of attaching the clip. The PPT's clip bolts on to the end of the handle, not the sides. That way, when it's removed, there aren't three holes on the side, like on an hourglass clip; nor those channels for the wire that the wire clips have. William Henry uses this method to attach clips on the few knives they make that have clips, and it looks very sharp.

I think I would still go for "no clip" on this one, but if there were a clip, I would want it to be one that didn't wreck the cool lines if I took it off.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
tpro68

Kiwi

Post by tpro68 »

Sal,
I enjoy all of my Spydercos, but the Kopa and Kiwi remain my favorites because of the bolsters and the variety of scales. I would love to see a large Kiwi with the notch, bolstered and hollow grind. The grind is the least significant to me. The bolstered scales in a series of exotic materials would be amazing. The three-flavor Kopa remains the prettiest knife I have ever seen. There is no reason that function and form cannot compliment each other. Thanks for the great work. Thomas
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

dj moonbat wrote:I just meant the method of attaching the clip. The PPT's clip bolts on to the end of the handle, not the sides. That way, when it's removed, there aren't three holes on the side, like on an hourglass clip; nor those channels for the wire that the wire clips have. William Henry uses this method to attach clips on the few knives they make that have clips, and it looks very sharp.

I think I would still go for "no clip" on this one, but if there were a clip, I would want it to be one that didn't wreck the cool lines if I took it off.
Ah yes, then we agree. But I think shorter too...one that is maybe only 1/3 of the length of the handle.
On the hunt for...
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Sal,

Please, NO clip. I have been carrying your knives literally for decades-and they're great. As I've gotten to be an "old guy" I've become self-conscious about the clips showing in my pocket. I have been removing the clips and carrying the knives in my right front pocket so they are not visible but can still be operated one-handed. I have also been gravitating towards the smaller models unless I've got some outdoor garden tasks or hiking on the agenda.

I carry Spydercos almost exclusively but also like traditional slip joints. I wish for a knife that has the easy operation, good materials and high quality of a Spyderco but with a configuration somewhat reminiscent of the more traditional styles. The Kiwi 3 sort of fills that role and I expect the one you're considering will even more. And, again, a strong vote for FFG.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

• Notched Wharncliffe Blade (distinctive design unique to Spyderco)
• Jimped Finger Choil (extra traction is always a good thing, especially on a smaller knife and effective selling point)
• Full Flat Ground (efficient cutting overrules original’s sabregrind)
• Bolsterless (lighter weight, easier for maker (Moki?) to build and fewer parts = less expensive and hopefully faster availability. ;o)
• G-10 handle scales (universally the best handle material - weight, strength, cost, texture, wearability, durability, finishing, etc.)
• Wire Clip (right-hand/left-hand, perhaps a single wire clip as will be used on Galye’s new design. If no clip use William Henry Clip Case.)
• Simultaneously develop a SlipIt version for to maximize worldwide sales.
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Notched, full flat, full scales, with clip. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Small and tasteful clip as in the Lum Chinese with the third screw gone.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Definitely no clip. And you can't just remove it, because than it leaves ugly holes.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

1. Deacon spine
2. Full G10 or CF scales
3. FFG

Removable low ride wire clip.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I started a poll with most of the options that have been brought up, govote please!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal