Spyderco Titanium Fluted Military Mini-Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco Titanium Fluted Military Mini-Review

Post by Mr Blonde »

Hard work is its own reward, but sometimes it’s hardly work and the reward can be amazing. I got this wonderful Military with fluted titanium handles recently and it is an amazing piece.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The fluted pattern on the handle transforms this otherwise large ‘working’ folder into an elegant gentleman’s knife. However, the ‘fluting’ of the titanium handle does more. The first titanium Military was a solid piece, a tad heavier than most expect from a titanium handled folder. I’m sure this is because the handle on the Military is much bigger than most other production folders. The fluting removes a lot of the weight. To me, the fluted Ti Millie handles like a regular g10 Millie.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I showed the knife to a few non-knife people and they all agreed that it was a ‘pretty’ knife. At least that’s one thing we agreed on when it comes to knives.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The lock on my version doesn’t feature the steel inset in the locking bar. It’s not an issue on this specimen, the lock is perfect and it hasn’t travelled since I got it. It probably went through a hundred or more opening/closing cycles over the past two weeks.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The blued anodizing is done by hand and has held up fine so far. The knife has seen about two weeks’ worth of pocket time and has been washed and rinsed thoroughly after some kitchen chores, the bluing hasn’t faded yet – but it’s still early. I did give the knife its first sharpening session yesterday. Not that it really needed it, but the edge wasn’t quite how I want it – so out came the Sharpmaker.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

And this is what makes this knife extra special to me; it was a gift from the Spydercrew for my work on the report of the new prototypes since the Amsterdam Meet. To which I can only reply: “You’re more than welcome, and thank you! Wow, seriously?! What a gorgeous Military!” Generally, I don’t like to show off, but for this one I make an exception. I think you’ll understand.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

If you like the Military design, this is the knife for you. The venerable design has been proven thoroughly over the years. The titanium handle adds a more durability and lock strength, while the fluted design and bluing add sophistication and class. Moreover, the fluting process also results in a rounded or ‘ 3D’ handle, it’s more comfortable to grip than the flat G10 slabs. Best of all, the weight and feel in the hand is close to the lightweight G10 version. This is a special knife and it will be produced in small numbers. IIRC, about 50 pieces a month.

PS The inspiration to use a mirror as a background for these pictures came from Whynot, if you haven´t already - check out his amazing picture-thread.
Senate

Post by Senate »

sweet knife!
i'm still on the fence about the blueing though...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
ScrimshadoW

Post by ScrimshadoW »

Very very nice.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Senate wrote:i'm still on the fence about the blueing though
me too and ewwww what if its more purple-ish too, i was told. every model is different.
so is this out this week and its done and ready to ship to dealers and that is why sal chose "this" model as your reward? cause we're ready to rock and roll on this model, huh sal?

i can't freaking wait to get one in my hand to see and feel the weight and look at it in the sun real good. i'm going to buy one of course, no matter what and i'm positive i will be happy! but seeing that above, with sal's personal touch again, makes me wonder if i will someday get something personal for my collection like that! a signed... anything....to keep, forever!
never sell it or use it.
a letter just saying "hi mark, how many you up to now? thanx sal"
oh well.... i do get a little jealous (sorry) when i see another "thanx much, sal" knife given out, but they only get sent to those deserving of it.

idk - if he spelled it "thanks much" instead.... i wouldn't like/covet it as much. ;)
something about how he writes it... even on the edge-u-cation inserts like that too! knowing the misspelling he still, everyday, sends out thousands of "x" spelled thanks inserts with the knives....
i wonder why he says it like that, the origin of it: "Thanx Much"

well, blonde did a great job and kept us glued to the forum for like 2 weeks.
i can't think of another more deserving forumite!

on behalf of the entire forum let me be the first to congratulate you on your new knife and i hope you enjoy it.
thanks for the quality photos!
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
KBR

Post by KBR »

That is one beautiful Millie....
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
MCM

Post by MCM »

This is a 2011 regular production model right?
Or should I rush out and pre-order?

Thanks!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Great review, Wouter. I think the anodizing looks great and I love how it makes each knife unique. If you think about it, this version of the Military may just be a "semi-custom" piece.

Although the Military is not my cup of tea, I do understand those who appreciate the design. I'm glad that your hard work was rewarded by the Spydercrew. I know that I always look forward to your reviews and pictures. Keep up the good work. :D
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Senate wrote:sweet knife!
i'm still on the fence about the blueing though...
As it is Ti, you could always take a torch to it and make it your own unique design.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Very nice Wouter! Beautiful knife, great gesture on the part of the Spydercrew, and well deserved, IMHO. Use it in good health.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Nice Wouter - we share several special pieces ;)

Put mine to work this first camping weekend!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

SmoothOne25 wrote: i do get a little jealous (sorry) when i see another "thanx much, sal" knife given out, but they only get sent to those deserving of it.
I know it's a cliche (but all great truths become cliches), but even more cool than this knife is having spent some quality time with Sal, Eric and the rest of the crew. They're full of interesting stories and are always ready to share experiences and ask opinions. That is more cool than this -admittedly wicked cool- Military.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Ted wrote:Nice Wouter - we share several special pieces ;)
I bet we do ;)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Mr Blonde wrote:And this is what makes this knife extra special to me; it was a gift from the Spydercrew for my work on the report of the new prototypes since the Amsterdam Meet. To which I can only reply: “You’re more than welcome, and thank you! Wow, seriously?! What a gorgeous Military!” Generally, I don’t like to show off, but for this one I make an exception. I think you’ll understand.
Well done, both Mr. Blonde's work and the 'thanks' from Sal.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Mr. B --- i'm not a part of the official Spyder crew but I'd like to say THANK YOU also for all the great photos and review that I've seen of yours. To a "newbie" like myself , they are VERY valuable in helping to decide what next Spyder we may want.

And now I WANT a Ti Fluted Military !!!!

Ps -- my wife hates you !!!! I do trust that you know i'm ONLY jokeing with that last statement !!!!