Best Spyderco for Self Defense.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I started carrying a delica when I was 13, carried it every day for the next 4 years. I used it every day to, never once for SD. A blue or grey FCC delica is quite a nice pocket knife.

For SD at your age, you would be far better served by doing pushups and running every other day, and carrying a modest impact tool. Their non-lethal, and are likely to be more effective in providing a window for a quick escape, which is the essence of any good SD strategy.

I reccomend an orange plastic kubaton as sold by countycomm, or a sturdy flashlight such as a maglight 2x aaa Led, or Inova x5. Then Download some kubaton training stuff and practice practice practice.

Remember dude there's no shame in running away. Discretion is the better part of vallor.
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

kawr wrote:the so called "responsible adults" telling him to get a SD knife when clearly he has no need for one when he spends all day in school.
First off the main knife that people have recommended has been the delica, which is by no means the most SD style knife spyderco makes. Not to mention the TS listed a few knives he was already considering in his first post.

Delica wave
Delica ffg
Endura wave
Endura ffg
stretch
manix 2

No where in the thread did I see anyone offering up any models from Spyderco's actual MBC line such as the Yo, Gunting, Chinook, Ayoob, etc. The suggestions presented by most members, if not all were, knives which are ideal for every day usage but of course can double as a SD when needed (and in reality which knife can't ?).

As for him being a minor, we dont' really know his age. He could be turning "adult" very soon. Maybe in 5 months he will no longer be considered a minor and he is doing his homework on which knife he wants to buy as a self present. Yes this is an assumption but so is all the other foundless crap being spouted off.

Lastly he never said he was going to carry in school and school only takes up a good portion of his time. There is always Weekday evenings and weekends to consider which is plenty of time when the TS isn't going to be in school. Plus the most important fact you aren't the need police and have no right to make such an ignorant statement like you have.
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

It is a good thing Gerry McGinnis didn't come here seeking advice from a couple members otherwise he would probably have been chased away from one of his future careers. I mean if a minor inquirying into knives raised this much of an uproar image the flack a 15 year old wanting to learn how to make knives would get. Because everyone knows this dude just wanted to make a sweet piece which he could brandish in his hood...the snot nosed lil punk.

http://www.crkt.com/gerrymcginnis
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: Many things considering, if you are asking only about folder knives for personal defence, i suggest definitely ENDURA4 WAVE PE . . . . You have to sharpen it, at least, at 40° inclusive to consider it as a possible defensive weapon . . . . And it is very fast as i think you already know . . . . ;) :spyder:
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

bada61265 wrote:sorry to offend with the snot nosed remark and the hood comment not being of a politically correct mindset is one of the things i like most about myself. i abhor conformist but am conservative enough and outspoken enough to defend my views, if the best way to attack my point is to cry foul about the language i use and ignor the meaning then you demonstrate the weakness of the argument in support of minors carrying weapons with intent. as kwar eluded too the point is this is or should be a topic avoided as minors dont have the right to carry weapons almost anywhere and in reality most adults dont have a right to carry weapons considered sd weapons like blades of a certain length or over most anywhere either. imo theres too much pussy footing around. pc is killing this country.
It has nothing to do with "political correctness", but rather jumping to conclusions and stereotyping. Using a term like "politically correct", which is very vague, and a concept that is abhored by most people (have you ever heard someone say they are proud to be "politically correct"? No, just that they are proud NOT to be) shows a weakness in YOUR argument. The same weakness you showed before--the fact that you are overgeneralizing and rushing to conclusions about people. Believe me, anyone who knows me would certainly not describe me as "politically correct", but I do call people out when I think that they are overgeneralizing or that their logic is faulty.

About him carrying in school--that's a separate issue. No where did anyone encourage him to do so, nor did he ever suggest that he was going to do so. And frankly, if he did, he'd just be wasting his $50+ on a knife that was sure to be confiscated.

BTW, how are you a "nonconformist" by encouraging him to CONFORM to the rules of his school (it's pretty silly that you can't have any kind of knife at all..I used to take my SAK to school, and never got caught)...it seems like an attempt to be POLITICALLY CORRECT when you encourage a kid not to carry a knife :D
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: Another thing that i forgot to mention previousely . . . . I carry knives since i was 5 years old (today i am 42) . . . . Laws are laws and they change often . . . . This is what my late grandfather used to tell me (he also was a folder knive user)-(i hope i can translate it correctly) "BETTER TO CARRY YOU 4 POLICEMEN THAN 4 PRIESTS" . . . . If you know what he meant . . . . :eek: :spyder:
kawr

Post by kawr »

*Cho* wrote:First off the main knife that people have recommended has been the delica, which is by no means the most SD style knife spyderco makes. Not to mention the TS listed a few knives he was already considering in his first post.

Delica wave
Delica ffg
Endura wave
Endura ffg
stretch
manix 2

No where in the thread did I see anyone offering up any models from Spyderco's actual MBC line such as the Yo, Gunting, Chinook, Ayoob, etc. The suggestions presented by most members, if not all were, knives which are ideal for every day usage but of course can double as a SD when needed (and in reality which knife can't ?).

As for him being a minor, we dont' really know his age. He could be turning "adult" very soon. Maybe in 5 months he will no longer be considered a minor and he is doing his homework on which knife he wants to buy as a self present. Yes this is an assumption but so is all the other foundless crap being spouted off.

Lastly he never said he was going to carry in school and school only takes up a good portion of his time. There is always Weekday evenings and weekends to consider which is plenty of time when the TS isn't going to be in school. Plus the most important fact you aren't the need police and have no right to make such an ignorant statement like you have.
He asked advice as a minor, so he should be given advice like hes a minor. Why is that so hard to understand. Its not worth the risk hes taking to carry a SD knife as a minor. There are too many places he could get into trouble for carrying one and he brings unwanted danger to himself by carrying a SD knife. Police would see him as a threat, teachers would see him as a threat, other kids would think hes a threat. Why risk it. Times have changed. Get a nice edc knife for home/work use and stick with that till he graduates high school. Maybe you consider yourself a real BA and above the law but that just makes you the ignorant one.
markg

Post by markg »

Why Spyderco allows discussions like this on their forum boggles my mind. We are giving advice to a minor on a weapon. Bad for them, even worse for Spyderco if not the industry.

Remember it was fear of "knife welding" teens that gave us our silly Switchblade Act... Also the reason most of you can't carry butterfly knives or buy a lot of martial arts weapons...
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Why Spyderco allows discussions like this on their forum boggles my mind. We are giving advice to a minor on a weapon. Bad for them, even worse for Spyderco if not the industry.
Maybe because Sal and company are AMERICANS and as such , think that the Freedom of Speech is a good thing as long as your not yelling fire in a movie theater or something stupid like that.

You may or may not know this -- there are WAY MORE EVIL websites then this here Spyderco Forum.

Most major "gangs" have websites be it the Crips , Bloods , Latin Kings , Hells Angels etc. etc. --- if this young poster was a "scumbag" --- then I HIGHLY doubt he would be HERE asking about a possable SD knife.
Remember it was fear of "knife welding" teens that gave us our silly Switchblade Act... Also the reason most of you can't carry butterfly knives or buy a lot of martial arts weapons...
That is CORRECT and the same with hi-cap magizine bans or "assualt weapon" bans ------- it is FEAR and LIES that the media and some politicians use to GET VOTES ----------- what better way to fight them then what we have posted here as replies ???

Some here may have been in Salem , Ma. in a past life as Witch Hunters , I think.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Maybe he is home schooled and lives in a rough neighborhood?

Could someone please link the law forbidding minors to own/carry standard pocketknives in LA? I can only find laws forbidding sale to minors.

Please for my education before we send the lawbreaker to Juvie? ;)

Not every kid under 18 carries a switch blade just like not every Chinese guy knows Kung Fu. That's called profiling. *wink*

Ps: 80s knife/ninja overreactions weren't just kids. You can still OWN all that stuff in most states and there is no rational reason a civilian NEEDS a Balisong to carry. A Delica wave is faster and not predominantly a weapon of intimidation. Oh...it does piss me off I can't carry nunchuku and shurikens. **** kids!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

over here (like every where else) its wannabe gang members, plain no goods and lying politicians that put tough laws on knives(not as bad as some places.) over here, theres no law preventing sales to minors, and if you are in posession of a knife and get asked why you have it by a cop, you need a legitimate answer and if they dont believe you its confliscated. you can carry a knife anywhere, just not in town
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Men 17-25 are both the primary perpetrators, and the primary victims, of violent crime.

This thread has gone to ****.

We should all do something else.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

mark greenman wrote:Men 17-25 are both the primary perpetrators, and the primary victims, of violent crime.

This thread has gone to ****.

We should all do something else.
AMEN!...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Any Model of the Manix is a lethal weapon!!! :spyder:
v8r

Post by v8r »

To the OP I carried a knife in Highschool , but that was 17 years ago. I was just a country boy that carried a knife simply as a tool. Lots of us even had our hunting rifles in our vehicles, some even in gun racks in the back glass of our trucks. None of us even dreamed of stabbing anyone with our knives, or shooting someone with our hunting rifles. It's really a shame society has become the way it has, but unfortunately lots of things have changed. I have no idea what the current laws are in your area, but I would look in to them. It really is a shame that you should have to even consider a knife as a weapon. I would encourage you to get some sort of martial arts training, but even that takes years to perfect. I think having a mindset that you will not be a victim and fighting tooth and nail if need be will get you far in life. The best defense is avoiding trouble whenever possible, and always be alert to your surroundings. If you have tried every other means to avoid a situation/ confrontation then by all means use whatever you have at your disposal weather it be a trashcan lid, stick, flash light, backpack, knife , or when you can legally carry it..... a handgun (please get a permit and training).
Even as some "Adults" fail to realize, it is still up to you to prove your innocence in the court of law if deadly force is used when attacked , it does not matter if you are law enforcement or a 16 year old. A good policy if you are attacked , and have to use deadly force is to immediately call the Police. Nothing looks more guilty than fleeing the scene of a confrontation, and not calling the police. Let's face it if you were a thug you wouldn't be hanging around for the police to get there, but if you were in your legal right to defend yourself you have nothing to be scared of.

For those of us here that call ourselves "Adults" we sure are acting a like a bunch of "kids" talking about our toys...... Just saying. If you ever called someone a Nerd in school , maybe you should step back and take a look at yourself and consider that you are in fact a knifenerd if you are on this forum!
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm still waiting for someone to link the laws regarding minor knife laws in LA. You can't really comment on school carry because I don't recall it being mentioned.

Please dig something up and redeem the thread with what's it's sorely missing...facts.

Thx.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Q: I want to know if minors are aloud to carry knives under 3.5 inches in california. I just would like to carry it for both as a tool and can serve as a defensive weapon if needed. If it helps I live in stanislaus county. thanks

A: There are no state laws regulating knife possession based upon age. It is illegal to possess switchblades or butterfly knives with blades over 2 inches long. PC 653k. It is illegal to carry dirks (which means any fixed blade knife) concealed on the person. It is illegal to have some knives in some locations (such as schools or public buildings). That is state law. There may be some applicable local ordinance (though such local laws may be preempted by State law). The Stanislaus County Code does not appear to have any knife regulations, but some city in the county might. You'll need to check on that.

REFERENCE:ask jeeves. The reply is from a guy with 30+ years as a criminal defense attorney.

The first part basically answers reapers question.
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

p'kal or a civilian.
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt
paisa777

Post by paisa777 »

The OP hasn't even posted again since starting this thread. I think we can drop this now.
DaRTH SfaRi

Post by DaRTH SfaRi »

for tha most part I agree minors shouldn't carry weapons...but in we dnt live in perfect world n scolding him is jus gonna make this forum look like a bunch of ignorant ranters...once again tha reality is he's only asking about a pocket knife that granted can end someones life but more than likely won't...anyone whose ever been actually raised in an urban environment knows that there is NO WAY to avoid physical conflict 100% of tha time...a pocket knife jus might save his life...i had a freind who wz jumped (he wz a small dude) n they basically beat him to death in frnt of his house n put his pops in tha hospital wit a concussion..things like this are rare but **** HAPPENS!....no matter wut lil mans prolly gonna get a knife an all he wanted to kno wz ur guys informative opinion on a SD folder...not to be chewed out cuz this is a good forum n he'll prolly never come back to it...sorry but in all reality kids are carryn worse things than folders
Perrin PPT*Tasman Salt*Leafstorm*Persistence*Kiwi SS Lockback*Stretch*Caly 3.5 Super Blue Sprint Run*Matriarch 2* SmallFly*Endura 4 FFG Orange*Schempp Rock*Endura 4 ZDP-189*