Best Spyderco for Self Defense.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGrim45Reaper

Best Spyderco for Self Defense.

Post by TheGrim45Reaper »

K. So I'm a minor and live in Los Angeles, CA. The laws here are any length folder may be carried, but under 3' can be open carried and over 3' folders must be concealed. So I have a lot of option but have to make the choice of easier deployment vs long blade. What do you reccomend?

Knives I am considering include, but are not limited to:
Delica wave
Delica ffg
Endura wave
Endura ffg
stretch
manix 2
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

(btw, i own none of the above lol)......delica ffg has a pointy and very thin tip, what id do is go on youtube and watch reviews on the knives by "nutnfancy", he loves tatical knives so that would help
TheGrim45Reaper

Post by TheGrim45Reaper »

razorsharp wrote:(btw, i own none of the above lol)......delica ffg has a pointy and very thin tip, what id do is go on youtube and watch reviews on the knives by "nutnfancy", he loves tatical knives so that would help
Ya I watched those, and he says delica is no good for defense but endura is.
Chibbi

Post by Chibbi »

Best Spyderco for SD ?,,, the one that's in your pocket ;)
unit

Post by unit »

Never mind.

I promised myself I would not get involved in these discussions again.

Please disregard...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
markg

Post by markg »

nutnfancy is not the first guy you should consult on knife combat. Having some cash, a YouTube account and a camera does not make you an expert. I am not knocking the guy, I watch his videos, but you gotta take things for what they are.

As a minor, the last thing you want to be doing is carrying a knife for SD reasons. You got a lot of life ahead of you, and a stupid decision, being in the wrong place/wrong time... Can derail an otherwise promising adulthood. The best way to get out of trouble is to never get into it. Cops are just looking for young men like you, not worth it. IMHO.
gb12549

Post by gb12549 »

TheGrim45Reaper wrote:K. So I'm a minor
The law & society are not going to be on your side. You could be a **** eagle scout choir boy organ donor Peace corp volunteer.....but until you hit a certain age, society has a way of looking at you like a pitbull off leash.
Carry sub 3" with bright color scales and focus energies on how to avoid every situation that you humanly can.
FlaMtnBkr

Post by FlaMtnBkr »

The best defense is being aware of your surroundings and your feet to run as fast as possible away from the source of the threat.

Unless you have extensive knife training its not worth taking a chance to fight with a knife. You will most likely end up hurt pretty bad and if you kill someone, in jail for the best years of your life.

If you still must have one I would go with a wave model and probably the Endura for extra blade although I like the Delica better for an EDC.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I personally would keep a Delica in your coat pocket. Easy to deploy and completely concealed. Plus if you have to deal with a prosecuting attorney someday it's a normal pocket knife for chores, not a "defense weapon".

That said, the discontinued Centofante 4 is an insane slicer at exactly 3" long. It's my knife of choice when headed to certain counties which don't have my 3.5" maximum. You should be able to score one for about $50 on the secondary market I think.

Nice thing too is it's a "classy knife". The description on Spyderco's site even says so. Nothing about tactical or killing things.
GEC

Post by GEC »

I would say the delica would be the perfect size in my opinion. Most main arteries, ligiments, large muscles on limbs are not deep enough that you can't cut them with a 3" blade. You don't want to go for the kill unless you have to. You just want to escape not kill the person for messing with you. I can guarantee that as soon as you start carving meat that person will most likely let go. I might even recommend a Spyderco dragonfly for SD. Small and concealable. but big enought to cut tendons on wrist so you can get away.
I do have agree with everyone else. Self defense laws are a joke in some states. Especially in my state NJ. You have to prove without a doubt that you had no other option of escape or you felt that you or others life was endangered indefinitely before you can use deadly force.
For example: If you get into a confrontation with someone and he doesn't have a weapon of any sorts. You manage to kill him. You could be very well prosecuted for murder and not seen as self defense.
Self defense is not an option in court any more.The situation has to dictate that you no other choice but to use deadly force against others to prevent bodily injury or death. Proof is going to be the way out of it not matter how you see it. Like a witness or witnesses. A situation dictating that you no other means of escape. An assailant used a weapon to commit bodily harm or death against you or others.
I wish I had more time the list goes on. Just make sure you have the proof to keep your butt out of jail.
Oh an make sure you have a solid reason to have the blade on you when a LEO confronts you about it or he might confiscate it.
Good luck and stay safe.
Regards,
Gil
araneae

Post by araneae »

As a minor, it is in your best interest to avoid situations that would call on you needing a knife for self defense. Get lots of training if you are set on this. The best knife is the one you train with. You can do well with lots of knives if you know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing, you are more likely to get yourself in trouble.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

To the OP: Since you are young, the best thing to do is get training and lots of it. If there's one thing I regret now, it's not starting training when I was a minor and keeping at it.

If you get the right training and the proper mindset, even a pencil will be a formidable weapon in your hands.
KBR

Post by KBR »

markg wrote:.....As a minor, the last thing you want to be doing is carrying a knife for SD reasons. You got a lot of life ahead of you, and a stupid decision, being in the wrong place/wrong time... Can derail an otherwise promising adulthood. The best way to get out of trouble is to never get into it. Cops are just looking for young men like you, not worth it. IMHO.
My sentiments exactly.....

The only type of Spydie a minor should carry, IMO, is a Meerkat, Cricket, Lava, etc.,.....any blade longer than a Delica and a minor is asking for trouble.
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
kawr

Post by kawr »

As a minor there's no reason for you to even be carrying a knife of any sort. Why? You spend at least 5 out of 7 days inside of a school that does not allow a knife of any sort, not even a SAK. No reason to risk getting suspended or worse expelled. Get some edc knives like the Delica to use at home and if you have a job maybe there as well. I was in high school just a few years ago so I know how it can feel but honestly you just have no use for a SD knife as a kid. Seriously. Unless you walk through the projects to get to school and even then its better to use them nikes instead.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I change my answer. Good at some point in life to learn talkin your way out of situations; saving face is a good way to get hurt. I'd do some martial arts as a HOBBY. Knowing to punch isn't a bad thing if you can't talk your way out of a situation. Carry a mini-Maglite as a tool and practice some strikes just in case you get in above your head.

Easier to walk away from breaking someone's clavicle with a flashlight than 25 stitches and a bloody knife. :(
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

I agree with Chibbi. Lol. Although as a minor if you have a knife in your pocket make sure you are not tempted to use it. Can end up with a lot of problems. Out of your list though, I would say Stretch. Price, opening, and the grip in a great combination (quality is a given).
Out of all the Spydies for self defense my all time faves are Civilian and Police PE.

Take care and be safe.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Forget about a knife for SD at your age.....just hire a bodyguard!....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
GEC

Post by GEC »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Forget about a knife for SD at your age.....just hire a bodyguard!....Doc :D
I like that idea! Lmao. :D
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

i cant believe you guys are giving a minor any advice on a sd knife. since when does spyderco endorse snot nosed kids brandishing there brand name in the hood. kid your asking the wrong question with the wrong ideas on things. my advice would be to steer clear of any weapons and carry a spork. preferably plastic.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

bada61265 wrote:i cant believe you guys are giving a minor any advice on a sd knife. since when does spyderco endorse snot nosed kids brandishing there brand name in the hood. kid your asking the wrong question with the wrong ideas on things. my advice would be to steer clear of any weapons and carry a spork. preferably plastic.
The gist of the majority of the replies are advising the OP NOT to carry a knife for SD, I hope that that detail has not escaped your notice?