The hands down best multi tool ever made?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Monkeywrangler wrote:Say, any recommendations for a multi tool WITHOUT a blade in it? I want one for my soon-to-be-8yr old son, for his birthday, but he is not really ready for live steel...
As noted above, there's the Leatherman Knifeless Fuse that you may want to consider...

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Knifeless_Fuse
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Also depending how much you want to spend, the SOG Powerlock i just bought has interchangeable tools so you could change the knife for something else or even delete it and put a spacer in its place.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

I've considered the bladeless Fuse, and also SOG (due to screw-construction). Price-wise I would look at SOG more (used market) than the Fuse. Fuse just goes for too much currently.

DH and I talked last night too, and he agrees with me that Monkey2 is in need of some maturing--but maybe we are judging him too harshly. Well we have a couple more months to go before his 8th birthday.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
markg

Post by markg »

I, too, have a lot of love for SOG multi tools.

If you are willing to give up replaceable wire cutters for scissors on a Leatherman, then look at the Surge. It has really good scissors, IMHO. It also has the nifty eye glass screwdriver, which I like.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The only one I have on me daily is my Gerber Shard. It never fails to open a beer. ;)

I have a Skellitool at home that works quite well. Don't know if it would be deemed the "best" but a great set of pliers.
markg

Post by markg »

I am this close to pulling the trigger on a Leatherman MUT. Having an AR does help that decision...
markg

Post by markg »

Scratch that...

I just bought a MUT.
stevo

Post by stevo »

I agree with the other comments about the POWER LOCK... GREAT GREAT multitool.... One of the best ...sold on all my LEATHERMANS.... GERBERS too but still hanging onto to my SOG.... Cheers Steveo....
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

There has been a couple of comments about replaceable wire cutters on multi-tools and that is a great feature. If the SOG wire cutters get dull I don't know if they would replace the entire plier head (the jaws) under warranty or not. It may be considered normal wear and tear. You can buy the entire plier head for $10.75 and replace it on the PowerLock yourself. I don't know how much replacement wire cutters for the other tools are. Replacing components is a big advantage of the SOG mulit-tools.

If the wire cutters on the PL are just dull and not chipped or actually damaged you may be able to sharpen them with small sharpening tools.

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know if you can even buy the cutter pieces for the Leatherman separate...i think they're removable more for the sake of sharpening them than replacing them...but i'm not certain on that. The ability to replace damaged tools was the deciding factor in buying the Powerlock, even more so than having scissors and the compound pliers.
~David
markg

Post by markg »

I know you can get them for the Leatherman MUT. You can get a kit that has a new blade for the cord cutter, a new brass scraper, and inserts for the wife cutters.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

markg wrote:I know you can get them for the Leatherman MUT. You can get a kit that has a new blade for the cord cutter, a new brass scraper, and inserts for the wife cutters.
Wife cutters? Where can I get a Leatherman MUT??? :D

Jack
markg

Post by markg »

Sorry for the Freudian slip...

:)
calyco

Post by calyco »

My two favorites are Leatherman Charge ALX and Victorinox Swisstool Spirit. The Spirit I would pick first for quality and durability, iirc the pry bar/flat head screwdriver is even thicker than the one on the normal Swisstool. Charge TTi/ALX I love for the bit adapter. I tried most of the small-large Leatherman multitools. Small is too weak and large too heavy, personally I think medium size like the Charge is perfect compromise.
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

the Skeletool from Leatherman is just right for me.And i can carry it like i would a pocketknife.i carry this 1 all the time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really liked the Skeletool, but it just didn't come with enough tools to suit me. I'm trying to get used to carrying a sheath on my belt but honestly it's driving me crazy back there. I'm looking into either having a custom one made or trying to make one myself...this one sits real high on my belt and rubs my side and just generally irritates me. I'd like one that hangs down low enough that i could wear it on my left side and tuck it into my back pocket.
~David
Bosman

Post by Bosman »

Evil D wrote:I'm looking to buy a new multi tool, and honestly i'm very Leatherman biased because every one i've ever had was superb. I don't really like Gerber very much because their steel is really soft. I'm leaning towards a Leatherman Wave Ti with the 154CM blade, but i'm open to opinions on other brands?

I would really prefer that it had removable wire cutter blades, because i've chewed them up in the past and that makes it much easier to sharpen/fix them. It must have scissors, a good assortment of "usable" screwdrivers, a good file and a good saw. Beyond that is just bonus material. I'm not concerned with weight or size as long as functionality shines. I also like the new Waves because they have a removable pocket clip (i'm not a sheath kind of guy).

So...what would YOU carry if you could only own and use one multi tool?
There is no such thing as a "Leatherman Wave Ti" the Wave has a 420HC blade not a 154CM!

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wave
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote:I really liked the Skeletool, but it just didn't come with enough tools to suit me. I'm trying to get used to carrying a sheath on my belt but honestly it's driving me crazy back there. I'm looking into either having a custom one made or trying to make one myself...this one sits real high on my belt and rubs my side and just generally irritates me. I'd like one that hangs down low enough that i could wear it on my left side and tuck it into my back pocket.
Spyderco sells a G-clip pouch clip. You can attach it to your pouch various ways. I got one and it works great. You have to call SFO to order one. They are $5.95. You can put it on your pouch so it hangs down a little. I also like the pouch a little low so I took an old guitar strap and cut it to go on my belt and the slots that were already cut in the leather to adjust the length I use to hang the pouch on. A scrap piece of leather would work, just make it long enough to go into your pocket if you want. The clip needs to be one that goes on and off your belt without unbuckling your belt though.

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Turns out my knife shop guy does kydex sheaths too and he said he can make me one, but i'm not sure how that would turn out...i think i would like leather better. I want something like kydex that is strong enough to hold the tool in place without needing a flap to cover it and button down, and i'd like it to clip onto my belt as opposed to slipping the belt through it so i don't have to take my belt off to get the sheath off. I want it long enough to attach to my belt and slip into my back pocket so it's out of sight basically and not flopping around. I've never made anything like that out of leather but i might have to give it a try.
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote:Turns out my knife shop guy does kydex sheaths too and he said he can make me one, but i'm not sure how that would turn out...i think i would like leather better. I want something like kydex that is strong enough to hold the tool in place without needing a flap to cover it and button down, and i'd like it to clip onto my belt as opposed to slipping the belt through it so i don't have to take my belt off to get the sheath off. I want it long enough to attach to my belt and slip into my back pocket so it's out of sight basically and not flopping around. I've never made anything like that out of leather but i might have to give it a try.
You need a Spyderco G-clip and my leather strap idea. I use it and it is exactly what you want. More detail available if needed.

Jack