Your pick for the most versatile Spyder folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tkdiver1

Post by tkdiver1 »

+1 for the Para 2. I just cant say enough good things about it!
gfg

Post by gfg »

My only Spyderco so far Sage 2
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

I have to go with the Tenacious. I have an Endura, but the blade is longer and thinner, which doesn't lend itself to EDC tasks as well as the Tenacious. The Tenacious seems to be a great compromise between EDC and tactical. It's also very heavily built and good for hard use.
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

For me it used to be the millitary but I'd have to say the Gayle Bradley....
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The word "versatile" is pretty broad. I'd still say the large Lum for food, cardboard, just medium to heavier cutting in general. It doesn't excel as well for me with finer tasks, that's why I usally have an Urban or Delica with me also :)

Stretch might be a good compromise, and the Bradley is really a Bradley :D They're all terrific :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

JD Spydo wrote:On this one I'll have to go with the original big C-44 Dyad model. With 2 full sized blades ( one SE and one PE) you simply have the best of all possible scenerios which Spyderco offers. I'm truly surprised that there hasn't been a huge outcry to bring back the original C-44 Dyad in one of the newer/super steels.
Somebody else agrees with me about the Dyad! Yay!

I know there's a bit of a movement to release a version using H1. I'd like to see ZDP-189, personally (Possibly ZDP-189 PE and H1 SE to get the best of both worlds edge-holding wise), but the ATS-55 used in the original has been working out just fine for me. Doesn't stop me from wanting better, of course.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Like it's already been stated, the most versatile might not be the best knife for any one task, but is able to do pretty much anything asked of it. With that in mind, my vote goes to the new Superleaf, as it carries well enough for mundane tasks without being too large, but could be the strongest Spyderco currently offered. While I think the Calys are better for medium use and easier to pocket, the Superleaf can do anything the Caly can do and keep on working hard when the Caly has to tap out.
Just my opinion, though :spyder:
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
jdcsk8r

Post by jdcsk8r »

I have to go with my black frn pe delica. That thing is a beast.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Have not found anything the S90v Military couldn't do.
Light weight, needle tip, large cutting edge.
From cardboard to kitchen use to removing splinters & working in the yard..
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

My pick would be Stretch. Not too big, not too small, very useful blade shape for just about any task. Definitely the most versatile in my use.

I don't have a Para 2 yet, but I have a feeling that one would be a good pick.
Hard to argue with Endura or Delica.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

Gayle Bradley -- looks like a gents folder, built like a tank underneath. Slices amazing well and is very hard to dull.

Heh, I am getting senile - replied to this thread twice :)
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Gotta go with the Delica here as far as all around versatile knife is concerned...in my opinion.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

anything from the value folders line, because the price point is so low that if you abuse the **** out of one , you can get another one nice and cheap. and they're easy to sharpen, and they maintain a fine edge for a surprising amount of time. they are at a price point where you arent too scared to use them for hard cutting tasks. i cut a slice off of a large piece of wet hard pine firewood, whacking the spine of the blade with a large fat stick, then whittled the slab in to a spoon and it still had a super sharp edge. it was hair popping to start with and shaving sharp (didnt quiet get all the hairs, left a few behind) after. lock held up, didnt chip at all, theyre outstanding knives. they can be used for almost anything.
Bolster

Versatile.

Post by Bolster »

Caly 3.

One of mine is now going on 5 years EDC, it's a hard use knife. Nice as the 3.5 is, folded it's a skootch too big for bending over, pokes in the leg during activity and I have to remove it to the back pocket.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

The Endura/Delica series is the most versatile due to the enourmous breath of variations offered. There is literally an option for every conceivable task.

-pe, se, ce
-saber grind, ffg, trainer blade
-frn, ss, g10 handle
-wave or spyderhole
-black, green, dark green, light green, blue, blue grey, grey, brown, white, pink frn handle
-4 way clip
- vg10 or zdp 189
-ambidextrous lock

And it's been field proven for over 20 years.
buddy54ck

My 2 Cents

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
Hi All,
Just My 2 cents, but it would be a tie between the Delica
and the Stretch.
Thanks,
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder:
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

When I think about it, I guess I'd have to join the rest in pointing to the Para 2 as the most versatile folder. To me, the 3,5 inch blade is the moste versatile - big enough for all cutting tasks I encounter and small enough to be considered a 'pocket knife' by NKPs. In that size ranger I prefer the Stretch 2 and the SE R2 but I consider them more specialized 'offshoots' - the Para 2 incorporates both utility and tactical applications.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I have to respond to this thread one more time. Pick up, hold and use a PPT. Choking up with it is easy and comfortable with the huge jimped thumb ramp, yet it's quite friendly holding it from the handle alone.

The longer I have this terrific knife the more I appreciate the thought that went into it :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: my current EDC is ENDURA4 PE . . . . My ENDURA4 PE WAVE is on the way . . . . I own almost every SPIDIE on SPYDERCO line . . . . My pick for the more versatile SPIDIE folder is . . . . PARA2 . . . . Thanks SPYDERCO . . . . ;) :spyder:
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Waved, serrated endura
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,