Odd Logo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ccf

Odd Logo?

Post by ccf »

I've noticed something on my new Sage1. The black logo on the blade looks kinda gray when it's held up to the light. It also feels kinda rough to the touch (rougher than usual). I don't have another Spyderco to compare it to right now, but I've previously owned both a Persistence & Tenacious & never noticed it. I also had another Sage1 for a while & didn't notice it.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I don't think so. Obviously, it doesn't affect function or anything. I'm just curious, though. Anybody know what I'm talking about or noticed it on one of their Spyderco's?
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

The Taiwan factory uses a different laser etching system to "etch" the bug than the other factories. You'll find that you can in fact distinguish the country of manufacture by carefully inspecting the Spydie logo:

The Japanese logos are etched "row by row" like an old computer printout on the newer ones and often, they seem to be more "dense" and black than others; the Taiwanes use a kind of "circular" way as you can see in the pic below (Chokwe blade, same on the Sages and all other recent Taiwan Spydies). The Chinese blades are different from both... that makes the difference "macroscopically".

The two sages should have been more or less the same, though.

Dennis
buddy54ck

3d

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
Hi,
I heard that this was supposed to be a New 3D type Spydie!
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder:
marcdurant

Post by marcdurant »

Looks like a tiny crop circle.
ccf

Post by ccf »

Murdoc,

Great info! I guess I just didn't notice it on my other Sage for whatever reason. I'm kind relieved, though.

While something like that doesn't affect function & is hardly noticeable, I was wondering about resell value should I decide to sell. However, I think I'm keeping this one. I only sold my other one because I had an extra (got the other one at a real nice price).

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea I wouldn't worry about resale value when it's featured on every knife coming from that plant. In fact, it's a small enough detail that unless you did something to modify it you don't have to disclose the detail. I don't point out centered blades from non-centered ones because 1.) It came that way. 2.) It normally doesn't effect anything.

You should DEFINITELY do something about that huge hole in the blade tho. ;)
ccf

Post by ccf »

Blerv wrote:Yea I wouldn't worry about resale value when it's featured on every knife coming from that plant. In fact, it's a small enough detail that unless you did something to modify it you don't have to disclose the detail. I don't point out centered blades from non-centered ones because 1.) It came that way. 2.) It normally doesn't effect anything.

You should DEFINITELY do something about that huge hole in the blade tho. ;)
LOL. :)

At first I thought it might be a defect when I first noticed it, but now that I've found it's normal, no problem.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
xtal

Post by xtal »

Very informative photo comparison, thanks!
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

Little details like that matter to me. I really like the way the Taiwanese Spydies have that etched feel instead of looking like they're just printed on. They're much darker, too.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Very cool macro shot :) Thanks for that.
DevilDog1833

Post by DevilDog1833 »

Sweet shots, and informative to boot! Thanks Murdoc and Gunslinger.
Military (G10, PE), Endura II (SS, PE), 93mm Rescue (FRN, SE), Delica (G10, PE), Delica (FRN, CE), Delica Wave (FRN, SE), Delica Wave Trainer (FRN), UKPK Rescue (G10, PE), UKPK Drop Point (G10, PE), Dragonfly (SS, PE), Ladybug (SS, PE), Medowlark (G10, CE), Crow (Aluminum, CE)
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Nice Macro shots!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Can you make them pictures a little closer? :)
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

.357 mag wrote:Can you make them pictures a little closer? :)
lmao, let me get my microscope. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pl4stic

Post by pl4stic »

It looks like only the Golden logo has the groove in the triangle.
MATURA

Post by MATURA »

Great photos Gunslinger thanks for taking the time to share :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Matt It's only a weapon when it is pointed with intent, until then it is simply just a knife.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Murdoc and Gunslinger, thanks both very much for those pics. Great info.

:spyder:
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

david lowry wrote:murdoc and gunslinger, thanks both very much for those pics. Great info.

:spyder:
+1
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Such character. Makes me want own the specific types of blades that carry these etchings.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.