Kershaw blur s30v or Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crispeto

Kershaw blur s30v or Manix 2?

Post by crispeto »

I know I'm on the spyderco forums but you are all pretty honest with your opinions. I've been looking at the kershaw blur s30v and the manix 2 and I like them both. They seem similar. If you could only get one, which would you choose and why? Thanks for your help.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Kershaw knives are good, I just wish they'd stop doing the dang recurves, pain to sharpen and reprofile. So based on that I'd pick manix.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

I would hands down go with the manix 2. Some may prefer the steel on the kershaw, but that's about the only advantage i see (and some may prefer 154 anyway).

I've never been much for ao, find it pointless, especially when you can open a knife via thumbstud or spyderhole just as fast and much more reliably.

Manix 2 is built like a tank. Blur is not quite as robust (from what i hear). Also, I've seen many vids that detail the relatively easy lock fail of the blur.

Recurves are a pain to sharpen (I'm not a great sharpener regardless, so if you're very skilled ymmv)

I'm not trying to be a spydie homer, I own about 5 kershaws, but for the money i would go with the manix 2 10 out of 10 times!

Hope it helps!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Before I got a Manix, I was unimpressed. They don't look like much in pictures but when I finally did buy one, it took me by surprise. You have to hold one to understand how perfect the handle is designed to fit your grip. If possible take a look at one in person, it will leave an impression. It's really heavily built, if that's what you're looking for.

BTW, I do own Kershaw's (ZT knives too) and they're pretty good, but to me the blur is just another ordinary pocketknife. The Manix has a unique feel and design that sets it apart from others. The Manix is definitely one of my favorite knives, not just among Spyderco's either.

Another thing, if you're worried about the steel at all, 154cm and S30V are similar enough to where it doesn't truly matter.

Here's a pic in hand (not mine, broken camera :( ).
The Deacon wrote:
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

I got a lot of Spyderco and I have the Blur. If I had to choose one Kershaw that is the one to get. Further to that its better steel (imo) AND its an auto assist. Manix looks like a good knife - but if I had to choose between the two I would hit the Kershaw. I would actually end up with both of them - but in a push shove situation the Kershaw wins in this instance for me.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

They are comparable in size, weight, list price and usability.

The liner lock on the Blur has been criticized for being a bit thin, but I have never had a problem with it.

The clips on my two Blurs are too tight to use.

Kershaw makes much of the aluminum handle with rubbery-like inserts in the S30V Blur. It is adequate but nothing special.

My personal preference is to keep it simple: I don't need or care for assisted opening and had the torsion bars removed. Blur works fine as a manual.

The thumb studs are among my favorite. A.G. Russell uses them on its excellent, Kershaw-made Acies model, which fans consider a Sebenza-beater.

But watch out -- these easy to use slanted studs are sharp enough to snag a shirt or couch!

I would avoid the black Blurs -- the coating didn't look like it would hold up in the one I inspected.

The S30V Blur can be had for cheap from the guy on BF who sells blems.

Manix handle is different ergonomically; I'd rate the two a draw, but try, if you can.

If you care about jimping, the Manix has it; the Blur has baby jimping.

Doubt you'd find much to complain about in the steels of either blade.

The Manix isn't my favorite Spydie -- I generally prefer under-3-inch blades -- but the f&f is absolutely top notch. The Manix feels good in my hand.

The ball bearing lock is smooth and, of course, the Spydie hole works great.

Each is USA-made and a good value from its respective house.

Hope this helps.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Kershaw blur s30v or Manix 2? it is kind of funny question to ask on Spyderco Forum and expect the answer: "Blur"

Armalite Native wrote:I got a lot of Spyderco and I have the Blur. If I had to choose one Kershaw that is the one to get.
Out of few kershaws, which I bought, Blur was the only one, which fit well into my hand, still out of these two I would take Caly3.5 or Para2. I know, you didn't list them, but IMHO they are much better for EDC. Manix is little too heavy for my taste and I am not a big fan of liner lock or caged ball lock. Compression lock or mid-lock is my thing.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Ditto what bh49 said, exactly!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Hm, how to answer this w/o being biased? ;)

I own 2 blurs, I think it's a great mid sized knife and AO is fun to play with. I think it's a bit heavier than is needed for an EDC but the same goes for the Manix 2. I prefer the thumbholes over thumb studs so Manix 2 wins there. S30V beats 154CM in my book so the Blur wins. Both knives fit well so ergos tie.

So it comes down to deployment vs blade steel. I go with thumbhole deployment mainly because I can resharpen the knife very quickly and easily. So Manix 2 for me.

:) I tried to be fair. I carry my Manix 2 but not the Blur. My user Manix is the CTS-XHP version so it's not exactly a fair comparison. Twice the price too.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm not a fan of AO knives. The M2 is a hard knife to beat even at twice the price.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

To be fair to himself, the original poster should ask this question via a Kershaw forum as well.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I've handled both before and owned many Kershaws in the past. They just never seemed to work well for me. I always had problems getting the pivots just right so they would open smoothly and the torsion bars always broke. They are decent knives but the Manix 2 (which I EDC now) is not even a close comparision, it is just that much better then most of the Kershaw line I've used. Fit and finish is better, the caged ball lock will beat the **** out of a liner lock any day. Kershaw does make some nice liner locks though, mine never failed at all. So long story short..Manix 2
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
cesar

Post by cesar »

Look that in kershaw blur s30v your hands are exposed. In manix 2 you have more ergonomic features and there is a small guard that avoid your hand slip into the blade in stabbing. Think about that... Less important but in question, is that the thumb stud may difficult the opening process. A thumb hole is easier and faster to deployment.
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder:
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

crispeto wrote:I know I'm on the spyderco forums but you are all pretty honest with your opinions. I've been looking at the kershaw blur s30v and the manix 2 and I like them both. They seem similar. If you could only get one, which would you choose and why? Thanks for your help.
I currently own both these knives. I feel the Manix is far superior but that being said I do carry both my Manix and Blur together on a regular basis. If someone asks to borrow a knife, I give them the Blur. To me it is a cheaper knife, something you don't care abusing. Assisted opening is a big plus too. I wouldn't even bother with the knife if it didn't have it. Also depends on how much you can pick up the Blur for in order to consider it a backup/beatup knife.

(didn't see the s30v part till just now...at those prices I'd defiantly go Manix)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Blur is a good knife. You may or may not prefer the M2, but it would be personal preference based on design differences rather than quality.

Possible design issues with the Blur:

1. Recurve blade - some don't like them
2. AO - but the AO is very easy to control with the Blur, and the knife would function "normally" if the AO was disabled

The Blur is also a very durable, reliable knife. I asked for experiences on the Blur at BF last year and got a lot of reports from people who'd used them under pretty tough conditions for years and had had no trouble with them.
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

mikerestivo wrote:To be fair to himself, the original poster should ask this question via a Kershaw forum as well.
I don't think there is one...

Kershaw is actually my favorite brand. But between those two, I'd go with the Manix 2. The Kershaw has better steel and is easier to carry, but you get a lot for your money with the Manix 2; very tough and well built.
crispeto

Post by crispeto »

Just bought the Manix 2!!! I'll let you guys know how I like it when it arrives later this week. Thanks for all your comments. They really did help.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Good move!

I bought a Blur for my son yrs ago.

Nice knife! But does not compare to me.

IMO Spyderco is a large step up from the other brand.

Just my opinion....... Not a basher, just being honest.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

In the price range...have you looked into the Stretch 2? It's lighter, has a full flat grind and great steel and blade shape. It's my favorite knife in the $70 range for sure.
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

bh49 wrote:Kershaw blur s30v or Manix 2? it is kind of funny question to ask on Spyderco Forum and expect the answer: "Blur"

Out of few kershaws, which I bought, Blur was the only one, which fit well into my hand, still out of these two I would take Caly3.5 or Para2. I know, you didn't list them, but IMHO they are much better for EDC. Manix is little too heavy for my taste and I am not a big fan of liner lock or caged ball lock. Compression lock or mid-lock is my thing.
Yeah true - there are about 20 Spyderco models I would rather EDC than a Blur - but given the choice between it and the Manix I would still stick by my last post if nothing other than the Blur is an auto assist. Even my Millie wont open as fast.

Now its a pity to see the laws going the way they are - I would love to see some sexy Spyderco auto assists (as far as I know they only have full auto or manual yeah?)