Hanguns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
crm7290

Hanguns

Post by crm7290 »

Ok guys. I'm turning 21 soonish and will finally be able to purchase a hand gun. I live in Illinois but go to school in Minnesota. I am a member of a gun club (don't own a gun, go figure...)

I will be getting a Remington 870 shotgun whenever I find a decent price on it (skeet/trap, possibly duck etc) and would like to get a handgun also. I would get a 22 as a target gun as I realistically do not need it for self defense but I think I would rather get a 9mm (just in case). I don't especially want to break the bank on this gun either so under 500 and preferably under 400 if possible.

What would you guys suggest?

I already have trigger locks and a lock box to keep it in. I have my F.O.I.D. card and am taking hunters safety this summer also. I have experience shooting guns so you don't have to harp about safety.

PS: And yes I did mean handguns. Cant edit that!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Get a .22 and enjoy the sport of shooting with low cost for ammo...The 9mm for the most part is not a target gun, and FWIW I don't find it a good choice for SD either, others my disagree for sure. I'd rather have a .45ACP or a .357 Magnum for SD...I would choose a revolver over a semi-jamatic, just my thoughts....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

Dr. Snubnose,
What do you feel about a conversion? I found that I can convert a 1911 into a .22 and was thinking about doing that. I have spent a fair amount of time shooting a Rock Island Armory 1911 and saw that there were ways to convert them fairly easily.
Dr. Snubnose

Great Idea

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

For what sounds like your needs...I think it's a great idea....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

Thanks Doc. Have to wait till July... And hold off on knives till then.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: A 1911 for $400?? good luck there! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: A 1911 for $400?? good luck there! :spyder:

Hope he likes Norincos !!! :p
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

handguns :D
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

crm7290 wrote:Dr. Snubnose,
What do you feel about a conversion? I found that I can convert a 1911 into a .22 and was thinking about doing that. I have spent a fair amount of time shooting a Rock Island Armory 1911 and saw that there were ways to convert them fairly easily.
I have a factory .22 kit for my Beretta 92 models. And I find I enjoy shooting both calibers, especially for training. The paper target doesn't care how big the hole is, as long as you get trigger time with your gun. And the best part is that you train with your primary gun instead of a different .22. Have fun and good luck.

If you end up getting a dedicated .22, I LOVE my Browning Buckmark. I don't know how many tens of thousands of rounds it's gone through but it shoots well and accurately.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I would check out the S&W Sigma. I have one in 9mm and they make in .40 to. Mine as right at 19,000 rounds with zero FTF. You can find them easy for 299.00.

Also I would check out the Stoeger Cougar. They come in 9mm,.40, and .45. There a DA/SA action and I've heard they are 100% reliable. Your can find them in the lower $300.

If you wanted to go revolver in that price I would look into a used Ruger GP-100 or a used S&W 66- models. You can find them in the 375-500 range. Both are in .38/.357 caliber.

I've heard Taurus as gotten better but I'm not buying yet. Had a bad experiance once and don't think I'll go back.

Good luck

.357 mag
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I bought a .357 for my first handgun and then when out soon after and bought a Ruger .22 because I found that I needed to spend a whole lot of time and rounds to develop good shooting habits. If I step away from the range for a few weeks, I've found that shooting a 100 .22s gets me back in shape pretty quickly regarding flinch and trigger control. For just starting out, a .22 will get you through.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Oh yeah, Sig makes an affordable .22, the Mosquito, that will also familiarize you with Sig controls and etc. Well within your proposed budget. Then, once you have skills, move on to a full caliber Sig.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I would stay away from conversions for the 1911. Some of them are not very good, and can be picky about certain types of ammo. If you really want something that translates well to a 1911 check out the GSG 1911 .22lr.
80% of the parts on this gun are interchangeable with a 1911. They can be found for $330-400 depending on were you look.

My second pick would be a Ruger MKIII 22/45. It is built so the controls are identical to a 1911. This is what I have. It is very accurate and will run every ammo type I have tried.

If you want a larger caliber I would go with a revolver to fit your price range. I think Doc will agree with me that a Ruger Sp101 would be my choice. They can be found for around your money. Its a .357 in a compact frame, but the weight makes it a pleasure to shoot often at the range. It is very comfortable for me and very accurate.

I hope this helps.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

Rock Island Armory, while not made in America, are from what I have experienced and read very nice and very reliable guns for under 400. They are not Chinese made but made in the Philippians.

About the spelling of handguns read the post, see where it says ps...

I have written all of the options into a sticky not so that I can find them again when the time comes. I like the look of the Smith & Wesson Sigma, going off of the youtube video.I also have shot Glocks so a used glock is a possibility.

Are the listed guns easy to find in stores like Cabelas and the like?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have heard good things about Rock Island 1911s. No personal experience though, I've only shot the Colts. I personally am planning to probably get a .22 of some kind and a S&W .357 revolver (Depending on what I find a good deal on - I've just always liked the S&W variety) later this year as finances permit.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

I'm not really into revolvers. I have shot a couple and was not a fan. Although I don't think they were double action.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yep I think the Ruger Sp101 are grand..here's a pic from my edc with my pair of .357 mags...with some other goodies for size comparisons...Doc :D
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... 7_2347.jpg[/img][/IMG]

tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Yep I think the Ruger Sp101 are grand..here's a pic from my edc with my pair of .357 mags...with some other goodies for size comparisons...Doc :D
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... 7_2347.jpg[/img][/IMG]
Hey what brand/model are those 357's? I'm also thinking about my first handgun, im torn between a 357mag revolver, a beretta px4, HK USP, or a 1911 (all in .45) This gun, like the OP's, will be my every day CCW with a home defense role

I know you'll probably say all new shooters think they should get the biggest baddest gun, and the reason behind my decision is my confidense in shooting a larger round. Knowing 9mm's are known to do less damage than 45's is something that will take away from my confidence, especially if I use it as a backup in the police force I will be joining down the road.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

tacticooledc wrote:Hey what brand/model are those 357's? I'm also thinking about my first handgun, im torn between a 357mag revolver, a beretta px4, HK USP, or a 1911 (all in .45) This gun, like the OP's, will be my every day CCW with a home defense role

I know you'll probably say all new shooters think they should get the biggest baddest gun, and the reason behind my decision is my confidense in shooting a larger round. Knowing 9mm's are known to do less damage than 45's is something that will take away from my confidence, especially if I use it as a backup in the police force I will be joining down the road.
Ruger Sp101s 357 magnum...Doc :D

NexusS

Post by NexusS »

crm7290 wrote:I have written all of the options into a sticky not so that I can find them again when the time comes. I like the look of the Smith & Wesson Sigma, going off of the youtube video.I also have shot Glocks so a used glock is a possibility.

Are the listed guns easy to find in stores like Cabelas and the like?
Cabelas has a very good selection of handguns. When I went to Cabelas a week ago they had just about every model of Glocks, 4th gens, and even 3rd gens. They also had a good selection of many other brands like Beretta, S&W, Springfield, ect... If you want to stay in the $400 price range, a used Glock would probably be a good bet. The going rate for used Glocks seem to be in the $375-$425 price range, new 3rd gens are $500, and new 4th gens go for $550 from what Ive seen, but come with three mags instead of two.

Glocks can also be converted into other different calibers pretty reasonably. 40 cal can be converted to 9mm, 357sig. 10mm to 357sig, or .40, ect... Some models you only need to change the barrel and magazines, but some conversions do require that the ejector be changed, but that part is less than $20, aftermarket barrels go for around $100-125 or so, Glock brand $140 or so. Mags are only $25, the 33 round 9mm mags, Glock brand can be bought for less than $50. Just another thought, if you decided you want to shoot a different caliber later on.