Basic Laptop For the Inlaws, Help

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
araneae

Basic Laptop For the Inlaws, Help

Post by araneae »

My inlaws need a basic laptop and I wanted to help find them something. We're going to visit in a couple weeks and I wanted to help them set up itunes and what not. They will do basic websurfing, itunes, maybe a little word processing. Any help finding them a great deal or recommendations for hardware, sites is appreciated.
Thanks
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

as far as brands go-
ive had a toshiba cheapie laptop for a few years with zero issues
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Do you have any other criteria or a budget you're working within?

If it were me, I'd opt for a MacBook. It's not exactly "basic", but has a bunch of features and should last your in-laws a number of years with very minimal upkeep. If you don't mind ordering online, you can currently find a certified refurbished MacBook on Apple's site for $849.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Well he said something cheaper, so i thought a Mac might be outside the range he was thinking. Plus they are familiar with windows. I was thinking around the $700 price point.

I have heard good things about Asus, and i know Costco sells them, and he has a membership. Any input on this brand?
-Nick

npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I'd think about buying something from the Lenovo outlet here:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/thinkpad.html

I was going to suggest a Mac too, but since they are familiar with windows I'd go with a PC since they are cheaper. I'm partial to Lenovo but there are many good choices in the $500-$700 range. I don't have personal experience with them but I'd say Asus is a fine choice.

I just wouldn't go to a very cheap laptop, or a no-name laptop, because they sometimes have cooling issues, or durability issues if you carry them around a lot, but if it's going to stay in one place it's hard to buy a computer that won't perform.
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

If they are just looking for something to browse the internet and do some basic word processing then you can get a netbook for $300 ~ $400 to handle those task.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
tpro68

Mac

Post by tpro68 »

My family and I went Mac about 5 years ago and it has been great. I use my macbook for teaching and have two daughters in college with macbook pros. They are more to get into, but last for years without issues.
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

If you want simple, go with a Mac. Even if they have used a Windows machine all of their lives, the jump from Windows to Mac is not as hard as many people think. Apple computers last many years without issues, and are a breeze to maintain (read: you don't have to maintain anything :p ). No viruses to worry about, and no confusing interfaces to navigate. Plus, iTunes works worlds better on a Mac than a Windows PC.

A MacBook sounds like it would be a great fit. Mac referbs are also good if you want to save money.
My EDC: Spyderco Manix 2 MoonGlow
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

araneae

Since we're talking your in-laws I'm going to assume they are in their 50's. I'm in my 50's and fairly computer literate. If they have been using Windows based systems stick with a Windows based system.

As a PC and MAC user there are enough differences between the operating systems to frustrate an individual (I'll have my wife post if you don't believe me) and not enough difference in the way of performance to justify the price difference and learning curve if all they are doing is surfing the net, itunes and basic word processing. If you're set on spending $500 get them a netbook for $300 ~ $400 and a $100 ~ $200 gift certificate to their favorite restaurant.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
araneae

Post by araneae »

They actually already have a netbook, but would like something for the den with a larger screen and DVD capability. My father in law likes to listen to music so the ability to move it from room to room led to me suggesting a laptop rather than a desk top.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.
-Nick

psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

The Toshiba Satellite series in the mid-range: $450-550. Reliable when compared to other manufacturers, relatively inexpensive, plenty of power, and decent battery life. Pretty much all anyone would need in a laptop. Available at any Best Buy or other chain electronic store and dodge any extras at the counter.

This will suit your needs just dandy, I'm sure. :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I am no expert on computers, but I'll tell you this, I was using my son's newly purchased I-Pad from apple today and it is awesome...you can do just about everything with it....it's more compact than my notebook comp, has some really nice features, easy to use with a touch screen, read books, make phone calls, skype, internet browsing, email, 2 cameras...you name it...I think he paid around $500....but it was real sweet, check it out...I want one for sure....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
NexusS

Post by NexusS »

I would recommend this Toshiba Satellite. I helped my uncles friend pick this one out last weekend. Its only $380, says out of stock on Staples website, but you may be able to find it in stock at a store location. And Bestbuy might sell the same model. If so just bring in the Staples ad to a Bestbuy, and they will match the price. Its a great deal IMO, usually Celeron processors sell in this price range. I was impressed with the computers build quality considering its under $400.

Intel® Pentium® P6200 Processor (2.13GHz)
4GB installed memory
500GB hard drive
DVD SuperMulti drive supporting 11 formats
15.6" diagonal widescreen TruBrite® TFT display at 1366 x 768 native resolution
Premium Keyboard with 10-Keypad (black)
Integrated Webcam and microphone
Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)
Fusion® Finish in Helios Grey
6 cell/48Wh Lithium Ion battery pack; Up to 5 hours and 2 minutes of battery life
Dimensions 14.96"W x 9.84"D x 1.10"/1.49"H
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
1 year warranty

Staples 500GB HDD version for $379-

http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Satellit ... uct_918333

BestBuy has the 320GB HDD version for $399-

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+S ... Id=1830082
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

I would also suggest Toshiba. They are the toughest on the market. My son used to jumped on mine 4 years ago and it now runs W7 (freshly installed) like a charm.

As for oredering, may I suggest http://www.newegg.com/ and http://www.tigerdirect.com

They are both really reliable web based distributor.

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

if you havent found one yet-take a look at wally worlds add-

acer-4gb memory-500 gb hard drive-15.6 screen-348$