Issues Displaying Spyderco Homepage In Chrome?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
crm7290

Issues Displaying Spyderco Homepage In Chrome?

Post by crm7290 »

Hi guys. I have been having some issues lately with displaying the home page with Chrome. It seems to lose the top border tab area (home forums etc) and any links on the home page make a list on the left hand side of the page. Each one goes to an incorrect link.

Does anyone else have this issue? I am running the latest build as Chrome auto updates when new releases come out. I have tried to clear my cache, cookies, and everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome.

The website renders fine in Firefox 4 but I love the streamlined look of Chrome so much more. Maybe the Beta of Chrome 11 will be worth a try. It really isn't that big of a deal in the long run its just me being picky.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: My chrome looks that way as well. The links load on my machine. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Samwise

Post by Samwise »

It's the same way with the beta version. I even tried it on the dev version and it was still broken.
Spydie Count: :spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:

Vics: Super Tinker, Farmer
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

On my Chrome, it looks perfect, but none of the menus come up for some reason. I've turned off all pop up blockers and ad blockers and they still never appear.
On the hunt for...
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

Interesting. I checked Safari and it was perfect. They are built with Webkit so they should have similar issues I'm pretty sure.

Maybe someone from Spyderco can get this issue fixed as Chrome is a pretty popular browser and it could be turning customers off to it.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I got an email from customer support. Their website has got trouble with chrome but works with any other browser, i had a nightmare joining the forums because i couldnt get the number of patents question because i couldnt see it under all the grey writing what the answer is
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yep, I think all these new extensions to html are making designing a website for cross-browser compatibility more of any issue than it's been since the early days of Netscape and IE. The Spyderco site does not work properly in Chrome, but works fine in Firefox and IE. Spydiewiki, specifically Ted's List of Models, doesn't work properly in Firefox, but works fine in Chrome and IE. Some other sites have problems in IE, but not in Firefox or Chrome. Hard to say which party is at fault, the site or the browser engine.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use it fine for the forums but if i go to the main site, where you would flip through the catalog, the drop down menus for edge-u-cation and handle materal/blade steel etc don't work at all. Good thing i've read all that a zillion times lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

Well at least they know and a fix is possible.

Thats the downside with using the new different browsers, some sites don't render quite right. I think it is usually an incompatibility between what they do the web design with (Dreamweaver etc) and the browsers themselves. Its always good to have numerous browsers in case sites you frequent suddenly stop working.

I guess its a good thing because I was about to buy a mule but since I couldn't access the catalog I didn't end up spending 89 dollars on it plus the scales and a sheath.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I'm suddenly having issues with Chrome and the main site as well. Weird, as I know that I have been there before without any issues in the past.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Odd, I'm running Chrome on a Linux box with no issues at all. Everything is where it should be.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

OldHoosier62 wrote:Odd, I'm running Chrome on a Linux box with no issues at all. Everything is where it should be.
Odd, I get the same malformation of Spyderco's website whether I'm using Chromium on Ubuntu Linux or Chrome on Windows Vista.

Screenshot on the left is Chrome, the one on the right is Firefox. Note that in Chrome the tabs at the top do not appear, instead, I get a column of white text overlaid on the left side of the page, which do work as hyperlinks. The three buttons which I circled in red, and the hyperlinks below them, which I circled in yellow, do not work. The links to the BaliYo site and Randall Made Knives do not work either. The only portions of the page which work as expected are the Search function and Sign In/New Account links.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Similar issues with the all other Spyderco pages as well. This Forum is the only thing that works normally.
Paul
Donut

Post by Donut »

I use Safari to view the website, Chrome to view the forum.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Any web developer worth their salt would have browser tested the pages. Almost all the new browsers are standards compliant...so if the site was built to modern standards there wouldn't be any problems.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

That last comment isn't necessarily correct. Yes they should check in multiple browsers and I am sure that they did. But this has happened since an update (within the last few weeks) so they might not know
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco's site probably pre-dates Chrome. It's been malformed in Chrome for as long as I've had Chrome on my computer and, IIRC, I installed Chrome about 6 months after it first launched.
Paul
manixSA

Post by manixSA »

It all runs well in Mozilla Firefox 4 if that counts. I like it since it lets me use more of my screen.
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

Ive been running chrome since it was beta but I never had issues untill recently. Hmmm
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

I had wondered about this, I have been viewing the forum in Chrome for over a year, then one day..... see above post 12 from Deacon.
No idea what the problem is, functionality is OK though
Phil
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

So why wouldn't they check when they made the update? That's a lack of attention to details IMO especially for a site that get's as much traffic as Spyderco does.
crm7290 wrote:That last comment isn't necessarily correct. Yes they should check in multiple browsers and I am sure that they did. But this has happened since an update (within the last few weeks) so they might not know
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt