Anybody Shoot Pistol Matches?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
mnaylo3

Anybody Shoot Pistol Matches?

Post by mnaylo3 »

Well I'm looking to pick up a hobby other than buying knives and I'm thinking competitive pistol shooting looks like a blast. I used to own and regularly shoot a Para Ord. 1911 commander, but hard times and a sick dog caused me to sell it a few years back. So now I'm shopping for something that I can shoot matches with for fun. I want something that can double as a bedside gun and won't break the bank just in case I end up not liking the sport. Any of you that shoot, could you make some recommendations? Also, I know glocks are VERY popular but I really don't like them. They just don't fit me.
I'm currently considering either a STI Spartan for single stack/Limited 10 or a CZ 75 or SP01 for production.
What say you?
Mini-Persian, Stretch 2, XHP Manix 2, PE Caly Jr, Almite Co-Pilot Sprint
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Para Ordnance GI Expert. A no frills 1911 with everything you need nothing you don't. Can be had for around $450+ new. Para Ordnance is a good company with a great reputation. Its a great starter gun or a nice base for a project gun that can be added to as you go.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_exp ... e.php?id=1

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Been a couple decade since I shot competitively, but I'd suggest a .22 rimfire target pistol. It's less expensive to shoot and there are generally more .22 matches than centerfire, or at least there were back in my day.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gac

Post by gac »

I have a CZ75 PCR which is "mid-size" model and I like it very much. The new P07is a polymer framed pistol and little less expensive than the all metal ones.

All you need is a holster and a mag carrier and you are ready to go.
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

I have been looking into rock island armories 1911 as my first handgun. They can be had for around 350 and looking around online people love them. Only downside is they are not made in the US
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I use a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow for IPSC Production Division :)

This one here I have changed the springs out to slightly lighter ones, grips to flat aluminum aggressive checkered ones, and a black front sight with an adjustable rear set. Awesome pistol that hasn't missed a beat.

I also have a Glock 17A and a S&W M&P 9L
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Don't shoot competitively, but, like you, it's high on my list. I bought a CZ 75B. Hands down the most wonderful gun I own and I'd have paid quite a bit more for it than I did. (in competition caliber autos I also have Beretta 92, Sig 239, and a 1911). CZ custom shop (just google it) has stock and custom weapons for sale, plus, they'll do triggers, hammers, sights and etc BEFORE shipping, saving you the hassle and cost of getting the work done after the weapon is in your hands.
mnaylo3

Post by mnaylo3 »

Daniel, love your CZ! Where did you get those grips?

Well, it's not exactly a comp oriented gun, but I was able to work out a very good deal on a lightly used Sig P229 SAS Gen1 in .40S&W with an additional .357sig barrel. I've wanted a nice sig for a while now, since a p226 9mm was the weapon that really got me into pistol shooting. Also, this model has Sig's DAK trigger, which I've been wanting to try for a while. I plan to put it into home defense duty and shoot a few informal matches with it to gauge my interest. If I enjoy myself enough, I'll invest in something like the beautiful CZ posted above.
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 9-sas.aspx
Mini-Persian, Stretch 2, XHP Manix 2, PE Caly Jr, Almite Co-Pilot Sprint
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

You might consider the new Springfield Range Officer. It is specifically designed for people who want to get into competitive shooting without breaking the bank. I've shot the Springfield TRP, which it is pretty much a no frills version of, and it was top notch... one of the best 1911s I've ever fired.

Springfield Range Officer
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright