Persistence or Tenacious for working around the public in a garden center?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Persistence or Tenacious for hardwork in a garden center?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Persistence
37%
Tenacious
43%
other
20%

Total votes: 46

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I voted Persistance because I've been amazed at what the smaller blades can do. Tenacious is great too though, just my second choice of the two. As mentioned by others a garden shop is a place that a knife, even a little larger one shouldn't draw much surprise. My son just got a Persistance and really liked it. It's a very durable feeling knife which feels bigger than 2 3/4" sounds. Also one thing he noticed is the cutting edge is just as long as the blade which is unusual. You'll like whichever you get.

Serrations? Great idea but consider sharpening. Can you? I can but am not very good at serrated knives. I only have one. They are different than a plain edge. If you are working and have to put a quick edge back on the knife you might want to get more opinions on this from people who use serrated edges and sharpen them quickly while working (and a sharpener). Most of my experimenting with serrated edges has really make the edge ugly, sharp though.

I've heard great things about serrated H1 holding and edge. I've heard things about H1 plain edges like it doesn't hold an edge well, but some say it does. I've stayed away from it for that reason and I don't need to worry much about salt water and keeping a knife oiled with a good oil and clean does a great job keeping a knife working and corrosion free around fresh water (rain, fresh water fishing, etc.).

Jack
PaulVB

Post by PaulVB »

Thanks for everybody's responses. I actually already have the tasman salt, so I guess I have the ultimate ripper. Hawkbills aren't great for everything though, so now I should think about the perfect combo of knives.
syphen

Post by syphen »

Persistence or Salt I are my votes.
Too many Spydies to list!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

PaulVB,
That's the same philosophy I have. I like to EDC my Spyderhawk Salt SE, but I pair it with a more conventionally shaped PE blade (Usually my CTS-XHP Manix2). It would pair well with a Tenacious IMO, and that's based on personal experience.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
FarmerSteve

Post by FarmerSteve »

I've worked as a nurseryman for 7 years now and I've found my tenacious works fine, however you may want to learn how to sharpen your knife... because you will use it. I would also humbly recommend a plain edge knife. They're easier to sharpen, it cuts burlap off the roll cleaner without snagging, and it goes through the plastic containers with less effort. You may eventually want to upgrade to a better steel though... less time in between sharpening sessions... but the tenacious is a great knife with a blade that gets SHARP even after repeated sharpening, and you can beat the crap out of it without cringing like you would with a more expensive knife. It's the best value in a knife in the entire industry. Get the Ten. Congratulations w/ the new gig.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Just get a WINGS & be done with it. Mine loves to be thrashed & is now a white wings covered in sheet rock dust. Best of both worlds like a Dyad but a junk yard dog Dyad.
O.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

O,just,O wrote:Just get a WINGS & be done with it. Mine loves to be thrashed & is now a white wings covered in sheet rock dust. Best of both worlds like a Dyad but a junk yard dog Dyad.
O.
Best recommendation. I have one and love it. It comes with a sheath which makes it easy to get to in a work environment. It also has a clip but I think it is a little big for pocket carry. I took the clip off and use it on my tool belt. Hands down a great inexpensive knife. Serrated and plain edge with plenty of length. It also has an open back handle making it very easy to clean. "O" really came up with a winner.

Jack
unit

Post by unit »

Without a doubt, I would go with a small fixed blade.

It is a garden center, people there should expect to see tools in use. No one would fear a shovel, yet they are far more dangerous than a knife! Additionally, it will surprise NO ONE because it is in plain sight and everyone will notice it before they notice your eye color (sort of like a snake in the woods, if you see it...no big deal, if it seems to pop out of nowhere, you might flinch or worse).

That said, I would vote for an Aqua salt if you can find one. The yellow handle screams tool, and the blade shape looks like a knife and not a tactical death bringer.

I am serious about this. I really think a fixed blade is going to be the least offensive thing you can use, and the most useful (no mechanism to get mucked up, and no slow (or showy large movement) deployment, and no slow closure and return to pocket. Simply lift from sheath, use, return....it has performed a duty and nothing else, then safely back in storage before anyone thinks beyond the work it did.

I love folders but they are a potential PITA for garden work.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

i voted for the persistance, i recently gave my brother my persistance as a gift, barely used it wasnt for lack of abilities, i have a tenacious and felt the persistance was more sheeple friendly though my brother thought it was a pretty large blade. hes not a knife person. So this in some ways flys in the face of my choice, some people are likely to consider even the persistance to be a large blade. personally i think its plenty long enough for edc, though not a huge difference compared to the tenacious. probubly falls smack in the middle of what most would consider ideal edc size blade and overall weight. he fact that the tenacious and persistance are built like tanks. they can handle it imo. i often use my tenacious for my work edc, but would prefer the persistance due to size/weight a bit more, not so much that im going to buy another one just yet though.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

jackknifeh wrote:...

Serrations? Great idea but consider sharpening. Can you? I can but am not very good at serrated knives. I only have one. They are different than a plain edge. If you are working and have to put a quick edge back on the knife you might want to get more opinions on this from people who use serrated edges and sharpen them quickly while working (and a sharpener). Most of my experimenting with serrated edges has really make the edge ugly, sharp though.

Jack
Serrations are a snap if you have a Sharpmaker or rod style sharpener.

I was given some vintage Japanese steak knives that are fully serrated. Just for fun I tried sharpening one on the sharpmaker... lets just say they now all have razor edges. :cool:
PaulVB

Post by PaulVB »

Thank you all for your in-depth and very thoughtful responses and recommendations. I start my job tomorrow and think it is best for me to see what I actually find myself cutting often and see what the other people are using before I make a decision. Besides, I can always change knives and/or carry multiple if I know I'm doing some specific work that day. I'm going in tomorrow with my tasman salt and think I'll pick up a combo-edge Tenacious to act as my jack-of-all-trades knife.

Unit, thank you for the fixed-blade recommendation. I am an Esee fixed blade kind of guy and I would love to carry my Izula or 3, but I'm afraid that 1095 isn't right for a potentially wet environment. If it seems that I can carry one of those knives though, it will be on my side in a hurry. I do live in NJ though, so I don't want to arrested as a terrorist. We'll see.

Long story short, thank you to everyone for your opinions and advice. I love this forum because this is the kind of help people can expect.
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

How about an orange G-10 UKPK, looks friendly enough and good slicer!
Just a suggestion!
Charlie
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

One of your criteria was to be able to use it without alarming non-knife people. In that case, I would rule out serrated edge hawkbills.

I think either the Persistence or Tenacious would suit your needs nicely.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Here's my opinion - just use the knife at work, people'll see it being put to it's intended use (and how usefull it really is to carry a knife), maybe the odd person will want to see it or ask you about it, and all will be good. I like when people see me using my knife at work - staff and public - just set the good example. :) Also, in a job where you need a knife, you simply need a knife and it might as well be a good one.

- best wishes, Jazz.
ragen

Post by ragen »

Persistence, or you can try with Meadowlark
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Whatever you decide on, serrations are going to be a big plus in that role.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

You've doubtless made your choice by now.

For the next person to work in a garden center where NKP anxiety and rust are concerns, consider the C118 Saver Salt. Sizable but not pointy (although cuts that start with stabs may be an issue) in a happy yellow handle holding Spyderedged H1. It can be had online for little more than $50.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

Persistence, cute looking, could be a hit with the public.....??????
You never know.
addylo

Post by addylo »

Delica4 ComboEdge in (of course) Foliage Green FRN. :D

EDIT: Oops! Looks like an old thread was resurrected. Never mind.
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea I was hoping for an update from the OP. I think he's probably bought something by now so the suggestions are welcomed but unnecessary. :)