Yojimbo 2 pics!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't wait to get my hands on this knife. Like i said in another post...the idea of relying solely on the ergonomics for a secure grip, instead of putting jimping on everything, is an awesome idea that i think has been lost. There's no reason you couldn't build a knife that is completely smooth in every way right down to polished smooth handle scales, and still have a rock solid grip even in the rain...as long as the ergos are right. This knife just oozes refinement.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Just wanted to post again to say how much I love this knife. Great knife. Hope it stays black. Has to be black. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
jossta

Post by jossta »

I will buy this knife in any color it comes it in and Brown/Khaki/Dark blue would be good to be discreet in my work pants, but I would be much happier with black.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Black.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

beautiful blade. I wish I had more experience with that kind of lock, I'm not sure how strong it is.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jackson wrote:beautiful blade. I wish I had more experience with that kind of lock, I'm not sure how strong it is.
Plenty strong enough to use the knife for what it was designed for and probably more. ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Search the forum for 'compression lock". It's a pretty cool design.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jackson wrote:beautiful blade. I wish I had more experience with that kind of lock, I'm not sure how strong it is.
It is one of the strongest locks that Spyderco makes.
mobi

Post by mobi »

The design of the compression lock is extremely strong the problem here is its placement on the back of the knife handle and ease of accidental opening of the lock by catching it with your thumb, not something you want on a MBC knife.

Love the overall design, cant live with the position/operation of the blade lock.
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

mobi wrote:The design of the compression lock is extremely strong the problem here is its placement on the back of the knife handle and ease of accidental opening of the lock by catching it with your thumb, not something you want on a MBC knife.

Love the overall design, cant live with the position/operation of the blade lock.
If the thumb is where it's supposed to be, it will be on the spine of the blade, above the hole. Not even close to the lock.......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

mobi wrote:The design of the compression lock is extremely strong the problem here is its placement on the back of the knife handle and ease of accidental opening of the lock by catching it with your thumb, not something you want on a MBC knife.

Have you ever used a compression lock?

I don't mean that in a mean way, it's just about the most difficult lock to "accidentally" unlock of all the ones I've handled. You literally have to jam your thumb/finger into the hole and push it horizontally.

Unlike a frame-lock your fingers aren't anywhere near it and even if your thumb is on the spine it's placed parallel out of the way. Many people use a hammer grip so the fingers would all be pointed down.

The worst thing a compression lock is normally criticized for is being occasionally clunky/stiff or having a low detent pressure (which Spyderco actively attempts to avoid). It also can on occasion pinch your hand between the thumb and finger but that's very occasional and normally for lefties. (or righties with the Gunting).
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Looks a lot like a pointier Kershaw Needs Work.
...not that there is anything wrong with that....
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]