Persistence or Tenacious for working around the public in a garden center?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Persistence or Tenacious for hardwork in a garden center?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Persistence
37%
Tenacious
43%
other
20%

Total votes: 46

PaulVB

Persistence or Tenacious for working around the public in a garden center?

Post by PaulVB »

I am about to begin working in a garden center and I want to buy a tough economy folder like the Persistence or the Tenacious that I can really work hard and not worry about thrashing. I want to be able to open burlap, soil bags, cut straps etc., but I don't want to alarm non-knife people. I'm always drawn towards larger folders, but I'm thinking that the Persistence will be the perfect knife for my needs. What do you all think?
If you have another recommendation and choose the 3rd poll option, please respond and let me know what you suggest.
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

I would suggest a spyderedge Byrd Meadowlark 2. Based on what you want to cut, I would definitely go serrated, and I think the Meadowlark is more sheeple-friendly than the Persistence.
PaulVB

Post by PaulVB »

Infinite Zero wrote:I would suggest a spyderedge Byrd Meadowlark 2. Based on what you want to cut, I would definitely go serrated, and I think the Meadowlark is more sheeple-friendly than the Persistence.
hmmm...serrated, great point. This is going to get interesting.
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Since you will be working in a Garden Center, will the knife get wet? If so, you might want to think about a salt model. I think a Salt 1 with a full SE would work great
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I just got the Ambitious, its excellent and can perform tasks a big knife can and is cheap, or you could het a knife made from H1 since i guess its bound to get wet in a garden center
PaulVB

Post by PaulVB »

good point on the salt series knives. I just don't like their handles very much, but this should be more about utility than looks. Thanks for the ideas.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have gotten in the dirt/mud with several kinds of :spyder: stainless steels and been happy with their lack of rust. That said, if your concern about the salt series is the color of the handles, you can always dye 'em from yellow.

I would be happy with a Tenacious, but I have bought persistance models for others. I think it's a good model to start with, but if you want a SpyderEdge (recommended for this kind of work in my opinion), you'd have to get the Tenacious (or one of the Byrd or Salt models listed above).
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

How about a serrated H1 knife?
PaulVB

Post by PaulVB »

This is why I ask the Oracle...serrated H1 makes a lot of sense. Wish they were cheaper, but I can always invent excuses to "need" more Spydercos.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I voted Persistence, because the size is more acceptable to NKPs. Honestly, a serrated Dragonfly or even Robin SE would be great.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Tenacious. People should get used to a 3 3/8" blade. Seriously. I would also go serrated.

I think in a garden center you'll be happier with a larger blade. It's not an office so it shouldn't be a problem.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

I used to work at a retail store garden center for about 2 years. Used my combo edge delica every day, and it never failed me. The serrations are nice for cutting off bulbs or dead plants, shrink wrap etc. Also stout enough to fall off the back of a fork truck without damage on plenty of occasions. Wouldn't recommend running it over tho.

I voted tenacious BTW, and get serrations.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'd prob go H1 and serrated personally at least. Salt1, black, SE. Tasman would be the ultimate if you like hawkbills.

Tenacious SE would be nice too.
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Tenacious. People should get used to a 3 3/8" blade. Seriously. I would also go serrated.
I voted for the Tenacious --- at a garden center , its NOT all that large.
Iris223

Post by Iris223 »

I'm in agreement with Blerv.

Perhaps a Tasman Salt, serrated with a yellow handle? The yellow handles might make it seem more 'tool-ish' to non-knife folk, while that serrated hawkbill will destroy anything that gets in your way. And not rust. And apparently, have pretty good edge retention, due to the work hardened serrated H1 edge.

Or any of the H1 steeled knives, really. Thats what i'd want in a beater.
:spyder:: Delica 4 Grey FFG, Sage 1 + 2, Persistence PE, Ladybug Black PE

Trying to find an excuse to buy: Tasman Salt SE, Hawkbill Ladybug H1, Delica 4 Foliage Green CE, Ladybug Foliage Green SE, UKPK FRN, Cricket PE/SE
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I'd stick with the tenacious, myself: open-back design trumps stain resistence in a dirt-and-sand filled environ. Just rinse it off at the end of the day and you're laughing.
A framelock would be even better (now there's no place for dirt to hide!) but I'm not sure what model would suit your 'easily replacable' criteria. I'd probably go for a SE cricket, myself, but the spin could also work (and should still be available at closeout prices.)
—Daniel Jackson
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I'm going with the tenacious. It's got a much bigger handle which will come in handy for the kinds of hard use you will be putting the knife through. I thrash on my tenacious pretty hard and it has really held up well.

Of course, if you really have trouble deciding just buy both. :D
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Tenacious, Combo Edge.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

For the purposes you listed, I'm going to have to agree with Blerv and Iris223 that a Tasman Salt would probably be optimal. I don't know if it's out yet, but the Byrd Hawkbill costs less, has a blade similar to a Tasman (but with a 50-50 finger choil which in my experience is a really nice feature to have for certain kinds of cuts), costs less, and has a steel that while not as rust-resistant as H1 (H1 being rustproof more or less) should be fine, though I would try to rinse it if it gets exposed to chemicals regularly (soil and water should be fine typically). I would take a serrated hawkbill any day of the week for cutting straps, burlap, opening bags, pruning plants, etc.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
angusW

Post by angusW »

I voted "Other". I think you would do well with something with a hawkbill blade and a SpyderEdge like the Tasman Salt with black handles but the SpyderHawk might be better suited for your purposes.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies