Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

Sal please make the techno either tip up or switchable for lefties
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

I really like the smaller Warrior, but I hope the handle scales will be removable like on the normal model.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Ben_1323 wrote:I really like the smaller Warrior, but I hope the handle scales will be removable like on the normal model.
Looks like a versatile knife. I'm wondering how small it is since Wouter estimated 4 - 5" and the current Warrior has a 5 1/4" blade. I'm guessing the 4 - 5" is from the scale rather than the actual blade, like the Caspian.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Umm...the Warrior has a 5-3/4" blade, actually.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

psychophipps wrote:Umm...the Warrior has a 5-3/4" blade, actually.
Yep, looked at the catalog again and it's the edge length that I was reading because most of the columns are to the left of where they should be due to the "Closed" column being accidentally used.

If the blade on the Pygmy is 4-5" I might like it better than the Warrior even though it's not as pretty.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Techno is a little tank-like folder reminiscent of the Leafstorm. Just because the folder is short, is no reason for it not to be built like a tank. The ergos were nice. I do hope the production model will have a polished blade, rather than the bead blasted blade on this prototype. I’d also prefer a tip-up option for the clip.

Wow! I've been out of the scene for a while. The Techno just sucked me back in!

Mr Blonde - Do you know the blade length and closed length of the Techno? Approx release?
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

SpydieZ wrote:Sal please make the techno either tip up or switchable for lefties
+1 looks easy enough...2 more drill holes is all it would take.
On the hunt for...
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Wow, that Carpenter has a great looking blade shape! It's reminiscent of the Persian's blade without the clip point. The shape of the handle reminds me of a Manix without the choil. Love the frame lock. God I want this one... :)
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Is it me or thing thing has almost no secondary bevel? Edge looks to be even thinner than an Opinel!

Mr Blonde wrote:
araneae

Post by araneae »

jzmtl wrote:Is it me or thing thing has almost no secondary bevel? Edge looks to be even thinner than an Opinel!
I think it might just be unsharpened. Its just a proto, they may not have much of an edge seeing as they are being passed around at the meet.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Wow, those are some very interesting proto's/concepts! I'm looking forward to seeing what steel the Carpenter model is using. Also the Techno looks very interesting, is the handle Ti?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The entire finish on the Techno looks superb. Nice design, too. I love the dimples for grip on the lock.

- best wishes, Jazz.
jossta

Post by jossta »

I will be all over that LionSpy when it comes out.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Still no love for the Pukko. Has it been cancelled?

Just wondering because it was said earlier (here I think) that it's coming out later this year and finding any pictures or discussions on it with anything concrete is proving problematic. Spyderco run into a goat rope with this one like with the first run of Bushcrafts?
angusW

Post by angusW »

Wow...those are some killer knives. The Valloton really is outstanding looking. The double bolsters really are nice. The Techno is almost perfect, just needs left carry :)
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Techno is a little tank-like folder reminiscent of the Leafstorm. Just because the folder is short, is no reason for it not to be built like a tank. The ergos were nice. I do hope the production model will have a polished blade, rather than the bead blasted blade on this prototype. I’d also prefer a tip-up option for the clip.

On another forum, posters commented that it's common for bead blasted steel to rust.

I don't know if that is true -- or whether it was an excuse for the manufacturer making a crappy knife that rusted within days.

Sal and Spydie, could you please speak to the issue of bead blasting's corrosion resistance?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

psychophipps wrote:Still no love for the Pukko. Has it been cancelled?
I don't think so, it was there.
Made in Taiwan by Taichung and looking good.
The only difference with the original was the blade finish, it wasn't polished.
The fit between blade and bolster was excelent, no gap whatsoever.
Makes me happy to see a traditional sticktang constructed knife in the lineup.

Btw, the knives shown, made by Taichung were all pretty impressive in the fit and finish department.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
mobi

Post by mobi »

More home run designs from ED Schempp.......oh no my wallet is in trouble again...does anyone have an idea of the blade length of the tuff on the youtube video where it is shown being held above a warrior it appears that the tuff may be as long as 4.5" on the blade.
phaust

Post by phaust »

flash900 wrote:On another forum, posters commented that it's common for bead blasted steel to rust.

I don't know if that is true -- or whether it was an excuse for the manufacturer making a crappy knife that rusted within days.

Sal and Spydie, could you please speak to the issue of bead blasting's corrosion resistance?
Bead blast is horrible when it comes to rusting. That, though, looks like a stonewash finish.
pjt

Post by pjt »

This thread is dangerously addictive... every year. Gotta love those pics!
Perhaps Mr Blonde could share the details of your "portable studio" a bit - I think it was showing in one of the pics there if i am not mistaken?

Somehow I get the feeling that :spyder: is shifting its design language a bit when looking at the new concept models. Which is fresh I think, no problems with that! Good stuff coming in the future, the Techno seems to hit my taste buds nicely.

Still waiting pics of the much discussed Manbug and the :spyder: interpretation of puukko, our Finnish national pride.

Thanks again Mr Blonde!

-pjt