Thinking of getting a Native, any users out there?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tacticooledc

Thinking of getting a Native, any users out there?

Post by tacticooledc »

Wondering if there are any natives out there or coming soon that will have a full flat grind, as I don't really like the way the normal version looks. Now I know I can dish out another 200 bucks to get a carbon fiber FFG model but I'd rather pay the usual $60 and be happy :D

Any comments/suggestions welcome as well, I don't know much about this knife- just like the way it looks. Steel liners?
ICSK

Post by ICSK »

Take a look at the new Native in Spyderco's 2011 catalog. It's a lot heavier than the FRN version but it sports that FFG blade.
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

The C41G Native5 come out his year with G10 scales and a full flat ground CPM-S35VN blade, might be worth waiting for.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

That definitely is a nice looking blade. I only wish they'd come up with a large native- my only gripe with spyderco is that most of their knives cater to people who prefer 3-3.5'' blades
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

tacticooledc wrote:That definitely is a nice looking blade. I only wish they'd come up with a large native- my only gripe with spyderco is that most of their knives cater to people who prefer 3-3.5'' blades
I love the native, and I think the swedge gives it a "personality" so to speak. FOr the money, you'd be hard pressed to find better value in a lightweight folder with that kind of steel. The new Native 5 looks phenomenal, but I really doubt it will be anywhere close in price to the earlier iterations.

Also, many people I know prefer a blade between 2.5" and 3.5". I don't know many (not including people in the armed forces) who choose to carry a folder with a 4"+ blade as an edc (all you mili fans please excuse me!). Also, as a business, you have to push a product that is largely compliant with most local and state laws. When you start getting into blades more than 3.5", you really start cutting down on the consumers who would be able to legally carry it.

ps - with all these threads lately....are you john rambo? :D
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The old Walmart Natives were probably the best bang for your buck ever in a knife that i've seen. I thought the Native was the best knife ever until i started handling other Spydies. The things that bug me about it are the partially covered hole, and how far towards the tip the hole is...which puts the hole more towards the center of the handle when closed, which to me makes deploying the blade a little more cumbersome especially with it being partially covered.

My own Native, i've ground the FRN down some to uncover the hole and made the choil bigger...it's a lot better but it still doesn't feel as good in my hand as it used to (due to preferring the feeling of other knives).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cckw

Post by cckw »

the native is a true standout in the brand. As guys get more experience with the other models in the line they find they like other pieces better. but as a first knife, or for a non-knife fanatic the native is a fantastic choice.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I EDCed a 440V Native for almost 2 years before I semi-retired it. It was a fully serrated version that had about 3/4 of an inch of plain edge on the tip of it which made it ideal for both types of cutting. The Golden CO made Natives are truly a workhorse of a knife. I used mine more like a wrecking bar for the 2 years I carried it and it withstood all I could dish out to it.

It's interesting in a way because before I ever EDCed one I never really liked the Native much. But that is one model you truly have to use to appreciate. Personally I would recommend you to get a Golden CO made Native. I just think they are truly built for exceptionally hard use.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One thing i do like about them is the handle to blade ratio. Some knives just have too much handle (Military/Police/Endura etc) even for how long the blade is.

Mine is about to get sent back to Golden for the spa treatment. I figure i've had it and abused it for a good 5 years...it's time for some R+R.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nabobz

Post by nabobz »

I use my original Native almost every day. It fits my hand nicely and is very lightweight. I like the swedge on the Native 3 better, but this blade does a great job also. Get one, you won't regret it.
The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
-Thomas Jefferson
Endura II SS SE
Native PE
Tenacious PE
Bug
Byrd Crossbill G10 SE
Byrd Robin SS CE
Tasman Salt (Yellow) PE
Byrd Wings Slip-it
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

pmbspyder wrote: ps - with all these threads lately....are you john rambo? :D
Not quite, but I'll get there eventually ;)

I just tend to like bigger blades. Small blades feel awkward for me to cut with. Believe it or not, I'd rather open a pack of ramen noodles with my police model than something like a ladybug or a cricket- just doesn't feel right with something so small.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

For a "tactical" mindset, it seems like the swedge grind of the regular FRN Native would be appealing. After all, people used to practically require a false edge the Native's to consider a knife "tactical" in nature. I personally haven't gotten a Native yet (I know, it's strange..I have almost 30 spydies and no Native), but it seems like an S30V Spyderco for $55ish is a seriously awesome deal. If you haven't used a hollow grind very much, I'd strongly recommend giving it a try. I love a good FFG, but I hardly think that it's decidedly superior..each grind has it's strength and its weaknesses, but sometimes a hollow grind can provide a thinner, better slicing edge than an FFG. I'd recommend trying out at least a few hollow ground knives...variety is the spice of life
bh49

Post by bh49 »

tacticooledc wrote:Wondering if there are any natives out there or coming soon that will have a full flat grind, as I don't really like the way the normal version looks. Now I know I can dish out another 200 bucks to get a carbon fiber FFG model but I'd rather pay the usual $60 and be happy :D
Walmart Native was my first Spyderco. I EDCed it for a while. Also I EDced Native4 for about a year. Sold it. Huge mistake. (Of cause I have one more) Great knives, great ergos. I certainly love FFG much more, without any swedge like Forum knife would be even better.
As it was told FFG Native5 is coming out, but I would't expect this knife to be around $60. With G10 handle, FFG blade for $100 it will be bargain. I expect this knife will have street price to be $110-120. If your budget limited to $60, the only option I see is to watch secondary market for lucky day (last week I saw Native4 on BF for $100, which IMHO is steal) or wait for a while until Spyderco will produce Native5 with FRN.
Anyway, good luck. You are on the good quest.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
TeddyBallGame

Post by TeddyBallGame »

I absolutely love my Native I Second Gen!

The steel is amazing and stays sharp through multiple uses. It's size is great (7" open) which makes it a nice EDC. The gimping is positioned nicely for use. It is light and the grip of the FRN scales is a plus if you are wearing gloves or using in cold/wet weather.

If you are thinking of getting one, I would strongly suggest the Native 5. G-10 scales give it an amazing feel and added weight which helps the ergonomics and balance of the overall knife. There is added gimping near the bottom back of the blade toward the choil area which I really liked and it only helps out any cutting action.

Enjoy the Native!
Never Break Team, Never Break Stride!
Wolfie677

Post by Wolfie677 »

Native lightweight was my most recent knife purchase. (That has been delivered, I just ordered a Stretch but don't have it yet.) It immediately became my go-to EDC for Jeans (tight pockets) and gym shorts (lying around the house clothes). I still prefer other blades when I'm wearing Cargo pants, but this is an amazing little knife and is doubly great for the money. Tons of grip options, cheap enough that I don't mind thrashing it a bit with daily chores, and real tactical ability.

After reading this thread I looked at the new G-10 version coming out for the first time. Looks like I found my next knife! It addresses all the little things I didn't like about this one, primarily the lack of steel liners and no jimping on the finger choil. FFG blade is a bonus.
phaust

Post by phaust »

bh49 wrote:Walmart Native was my first Spyderco. I EDCed it for a while. Also I EDced Native4 for about a year. Sold it. Huge mistake. (Of cause I have one more) Great knives, great ergos. I certainly love FFG much more, without any swedge like Forum knife would be even better.
As it was told FFG Native5 is coming out, but I would't expect this knife to be around $60. With G10 handle, FFG blade for $100 it will be bargain. I expect this knife will have street price to be $110-120. If your budget limited to $60, the only option I see is to watch secondary market for lucky day (last week I saw Native4 on BF for $100, which IMHO is steal) or wait for a while until Spyderco will produce Native5 with FRN.
Anyway, good luck. You are on the good quest.
The PM2 is also FFG with G10 handles and sells around $105. S35vn was made to be S30v that's easier to finish (and a bit more toughness), so the $100 mark seems reasonable, no?
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

The Native's a nice light weight knife, with many fans for a good reason.
However handle one first if you can, their ergo's don't work for everybody.

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
bh49

Post by bh49 »

phaust wrote:The PM2 is also FFG with G10 handles and sells around $105. S35vn was made to be S30v that's easier to finish (and a bit more toughness), so the $100 mark seems reasonable, no?
I read that PM2 and m2 are sold at lower profit margin than average. If street for N5 will be around $100, it will be nice surprise because I am planning to buy at least one.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

I use a lightweight Native as my edc at work and love it. Nice size, sharpens and holds an edge well and works with gloves on. No doubt, I'll spring for a 5 when they hit the market.

my first spydie.

Post by 099 »

The frn natie was my first spydie. id say that it will benefit greatly from an ffg treatment. the blade with the swedge it hot looking, and it works for most tasks well. but it was less than desirable for slicing cardboard for example. great for cutting tasks like rope or cloth. that s30v is great. ergos that cant be beat. it inspires confidence.