Just received my Tenacious.. Few questions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NattyBoh

Just received my Tenacious.. Few questions.

Post by NattyBoh »

Whats up,
I have always been a USA made knife guy, Zero Tolerance , Emerson etc. I have seen tons of review on Spyderco's, so I went with a cheaper entry level tenacious to get the feel for them.

Not bad, not bad. But it opens very slowly, I have to give my wrist a good flick to get her to lock nice. Now I dont mind that, but in the videos I seen people opening it with ease and looks to be no wrist flicking involved.

Do these knives wear in after time? Loose the pivot? Oil it?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Yes, Yes and yes.

I have a Persistence and found that as I use it it loosens up, and I have taken it apart, cleaned it all out, relubed it and now it is smooth and slick.

And wait til you try a Para2 or Manix 2....now that is smooooooooth!

And welcome to the board!
On the hunt for...
NattyBoh

Post by NattyBoh »

Thanks. I think I seen Ballistol, mineral oil, tuf glide etc used for lube. Im guessing any kind of "lube" would work right? And Im guessing thicker stuff would cause more drag, right?
araneae

Post by araneae »

The lubes you mentioned are good. A bad lube can actually be worse for your knife's operation.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
NattyBoh

Post by NattyBoh »

Thhanks.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I'd loosen the pivot up just a bit and test for side-to-side play to make sure you didn't loosen it too much. If it's still tight try a bit more, test for play, etc. That should help smooth it out. Also, as mentioned, simply using it will help.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Welcome to the addiction man...a year from now you'll wonder how you got this far down the Spyderco rabbit hole.
NattyBoh wrote:Whats up,
I have always been a USA made knife guy, Zero Tolerance , Emerson etc. I have seen tons of review on Spyderco's, so I went with a cheaper entry level tenacious to get the feel for them.

Not bad, not bad. But it opens very slowly, I have to give my wrist a good flick to get her to lock nice. Now I dont mind that, but in the videos I seen people opening it with ease and looks to be no wrist flicking involved.

Do these knives wear in after time? Loose the pivot? Oil it?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'd run it under water and get the grit off it. Then oil and work it in for a bit. Should be buttery smooth quick.

Don't take it apart unless you can avoid it. It technically voids the manufacturer warranty (which doesn't make the knife less of a tool if done right).
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I wonder if QC isn't tightening blades up more now to prevent or mitigate issues with flicking/gravity-opening knife laws?
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

I had the same problem. There were three issues:

1) I needed to clean all the lint out of the knife with a q-tip and oil the pivot / liner lock.

2) I had to loosen the pivot to the point where the blade would drop on it's own when I pushed the liner aside. Be careful when you do this as there is no finger choil to protect your thumb. Don't loosen it any more though or you will have lateral blade play. The moment it drops on it's own is when the pivot is adjusted perfectly. There should be a miniscule amount of lateral play and you will feel the blade rocking back and forth, but only when you forcefully rock the blade laterally holding it at the tip. You shouldn't detect any play if you grab the blade closer to the handle and try to rock it back and forth.

3) Technique. I found that if I choked up on the handle to the point where I could pinch the pivot screw with my index finger and thumb, I was in the optimal position to flick the blade out with authority without any wrist flicking.