Your pick for the most versatile Spyder folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Your pick for the most versatile Spyder folder?

Post by catamount »

By versatile, I mean works well for the widest variety of tasks and situations.

I'd have to go with the Para 2.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
JLS

Post by JLS »

Don't have a Para2 yet, but out of what I've used, I'd say either the Military or Native 4. FFG with a choil and an ergonomic handle seem to cover nearly all of my needs very well.

The only thing they wouldn't come out for is a rather specialized task...opening blister packs gets done by the Cricket.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

I work in the landscape / yard care business and am pretty rough on my knife.
I've used a Salt 1 serrated for the last 4 years. It takes a real beating and does everything I ask of it.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Large Lum :) I'm a big fan of the leaf shaped blade.

For blister packs it's the Balance.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

catamount wrote:By versatile, I mean works well for the widest variety of tasks and situations....
It would have to be the Spyderwrench.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

For me it's the colourful FFG Delicas. :D
3" blade is a very nice compromise for my use, still usefull in most situations but not too big to scare the living **** out of people, the colourful handle helps in that as well. :p
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For me these are Persian and Caly3.5. They never failed performed any tasks, which I needed them to do in the last four-five years. Also they look good. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

My vote would be the Caly 3. Large enough for most everyday tasks and small enough for everyday carry. Neutral-handed lock. Ergnonomics with wide-ranging appeal.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

+1 on the Para2. Would also submit the Superleaf, and the Manix2
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I would say the stretch or endura. Big enough for tasks, small/light enough for everyday EDC, not a hugh cost factor, good steels to choose from, many colors to suit your likings,right/left hand friendly, FFG and saber grinds on Endura, SE/PE/CE edges to pick from, and if you want spyderco makes a salt version of the Endura. Lots to choose from from 2 knives.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Pinetreebbs wrote:It would have to be the Spyderwrench.
+1 to the easiest answer to a simple question. :spyder:
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

It's the SE Millie for me. :p

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Milie
Milie
Milie
Milie
Milie

Look, lets be honest folks.
There is no better folder in the Spydie line-up :D
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Ditto
.357 mag wrote:I would say the stretch or endura. Big enough for tasks, small/light enough for everyday EDC, not a hugh cost factor, good steels to choose from, many colors to suit your likings,right/left hand friendly, FFG and saber grinds on Endura, SE/PE/CE edges to pick from, and if you want spyderco makes a salt version of the Endura. Lots to choose from from 2 knives.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Before I got my Para 2 I would have said Caly 3.5, but the Para 2 is so much more heavy duty so I think it is more versatile and can handle a wider variety of cutting tasks with ease. I see the Caly as more of a fine precision cutting tool now. Both awesome knives but if I could only have one it would be the Para 2.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
ceya

Post by ceya »

Goddard Jr.

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Para 2 came to mind for me as well. As did the Caly 3.5

However, my choice is the Stretch 2. Same idea--midsized, great for EDC, food prep, rugged enough for outdoors, hunting knife etc, and self defense.
catamount

Post by catamount »

mongatu wrote:Before I got my Para 2 I would have said Caly 3.5, but the Para 2 is so much more heavy duty so I think it is more versatile and can handle a wider variety of cutting tasks with ease. I see the Caly as more of a fine precision cutting tool now. Both awesome knives but if I could only have one it would be the Para 2.
Exactly. One could take a Para 2 to the office to open letters, bring it home and prepare dinner, then go out and skin a bear with it the next day :D

It might not be the ideal knife for any of those, but it would work pretty well.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

Gayle Bradley, Millie and Delica 4 ffg came to mind.
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

Mule. Any of 'em