Call me a traitor, but I want a CRKT m16 or m21

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tacticooledc

Call me a traitor, but I want a CRKT m16 or m21

Post by tacticooledc »

Though they may have some sub-par steels, how do they compare to spyderco in terms of locks and rust resistance?
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

I don't have an M16 or M21, so I can't speak for that. I do have several other CRKT knives though (the all-popular Drifter in SS and G10, and a couple others), and IMO they put out excellent stuff. I've never had to be particularly careful about rust as long as I give the blade a quick wipe, which is just basic knife etiquette. I find their frame locks and liner locks built sturdy. I put mine through the EDC role and have never had to worry about a thing. Mine all lock up tight. I believe they have a rep for knives not-so-sharp out of the box, though.

I don't think I'll be alone when I say that I find most other manufacturers subpar to :spyder: when compared side by side, but if looked at alone they do the job fine :) I personally rather like CRKT knives.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

If you get one, locktite the screws in or else you will loose them. I broke the head of one on the Triumph while installing the assist spring.
thewannabesurvivalist
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

CRKT makes a pretty good knife...I have both the M16 and M21....both are decent knives, they are not Spydercos but all and all they are made well...I don't think you will be disappointed. I like the M21 best of all...it's beefy and takes a lot of abuse and holds up well...I kinda think of it in terms of a working knife somewhat comparable to the Chinook, in terms of strength...Doc :D .
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't think we're gonna call you a traitor. Most of us are knife knuts and have other brands as well as Spyderco. It helps a person find out what works for them, what doesn't. Also, what a person likes and dislikes about knives.

I don't like the aus 4, and later M16's. They seem to have dropped in Quality. I have a Ti handled version in Aus 8 that is ok.

Like the Doc I like the M21 better. It feels better and more substantial in the hand. You need to find out for yourself what you like though. We're all different. Good luck , Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
tpro68

Crkt

Post by tpro68 »

I have two CRKT's that I like a lot. The Lake's P.A.L is a beast and so is the Graham Stubby Razel folder. I cannot speak about the one's you mentioned.
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

Thanks for all the info guys.
Sometimes I wish a company like spyderco would make a similar knife. Thin profile, super grippy handle with 3 weight hole cut-outs, and a dual flipper that doubles as a hand guard. I would buy that. Or three. Or five :cool:

Only thing I'd change about the CRKT models is that they are mostly not offered in plain edge, they always have some sort of serration, and many come in tanto. Plain edge non-tanto's seem fairly hard to find and are generally more pricy
unit

Post by unit »

tacticooledc wrote:Thanks for all the info guys.
Sometimes I wish a company like spyderco would make a similar knife. Thin profile, super grippy handle with 3 weight hole cut-outs, and a dual flipper that doubles as a hand guard. I would buy that. Or three. Or five :cool:

Only thing I'd change about the CRKT models is that they are mostly not offered in plain edge, they always have some sort of serration, and many come in tanto. Plain edge non-tanto's seem fairly hard to find and are generally more pricy
No need for Spyderco to make it...you found what you want, buy it.

The Spyder hole seems to beckon the wider profiles. The waved models of Endura and Delica, and the Stretch are the only ones that come to mind that have a somewhat thinner profile.

Spyderco does the cutouts to save weight, but the hide them on the inside (generally they line FRN or G-10 with skeletonized steel liners). I would agree on the Ti models though...some holes might lighten things up and add tactility (grip).

Flippers are probably not going to happen. At least not any time soon. I seem to recall someone saying that Sal is not a huge fan of them (I could be wrong).

Do you really like hand guards? I find that a well designed handle does not need them. If you are slipping off the handle, it is not a very good handle...and if you slip into those guards...I suppose they are better than a sharp edge, but only marginally :eek:

I had some CKRTs back in the day. They were nice, but the current offerings are less appealing to me. They are pretty gadet-ey if you ask me.

To each their own...no one will fault you for buying other knives though. I bet even Sal owns more than a few of his competitors offerings ;)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I had an M-16 and found the handle utterly awful in terms of ergonomics. The M-21 looks like a bigger version, and may be somewhat better. Many of the recent CRKTs seem more about looking cool and being gimmicky than being practical work knives. A couple of the Ron Lake knives have had some appeal to me. I really wanted to like the Premonition, but the handle is too slim for my tastes.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TeddyBallGame

Post by TeddyBallGame »

I have a couple M16 Carson design knives that I use with my Battle Rattle (Load bearing equipment, Outer Tactical Vests etc.) and it is a good workhorse!

While I am partial to :spyder: Knives because their handling, looks and ergonomics which is tops compared to most knife designs I do give some credit to the M16 as a great tool to handle when gloved as the beveled holes in the scales snug into the pockets of fabric increasing the grip and maintaining above average response to cutting motions.

operating in somewhat austere environments, that tanto tip helped me out with more tool type operations (wedging punch down connections, sometimes prying and getting a front forward cutting edge for cable working) and as always the blade was great to tearing into my next meal when the MREs got dropped off.

Sharpening was a bit of a pain (of course I am a self admitted rookie when it comes to sharpening) and the edge wore out fast with use. simple wiping and knocking off the dust was about all it needed to stay functional.

All in all-- I really liked the M-16 and have no problems using and tossing this bad boy in a junk box or losing it out in sector as it takes little buy in and I don't tend to get as much attachment to it as I would with :spyder: knives.

I hope this helps!

-- TBG
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

tacticooledc wrote:Though they may have some sub-par steels, how do they compare to spyderco in terms of locks and rust resistance?
The one feature I like about CRKT which Spyderco doesn't use is the LAWKs mechanism, however I am not a fan of the auto-LAWKs mechanism. I personally have never had a problem with a liner lock knife failing but I know it can happen. The LAWKs mechanism adds an extra piece of mind for me which allows for me to know that even if the linerlock fails the knife will not close on my fingers because the LAWKs mechanism is in the way. It is also an easy way to make a right handed liner lock safer for left hand users.

The auto-LAWKs I do not like because it is always engaged and makes closing the knife with one hand a tad more difficult...involing an extra finger to keep it disengaged while attempting to move the liner-lock over to fold the knife away.