Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Yuck. Good luck. Maybe leave the knife and box in a tupperware with baking soda for a few days. Bon Ami is a non-scratching powdered cleanser that I use in the house, I would give that a shot. Maybe Febreze it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
AJF

Post by AJF »

Thanks very much to all. The amount of knowledge on this forum, and the generosity with which it is shared, always amazes me.

I am going to soldier on, first trying the items I have at hand, and go from there. I will report my results in hopes of helping anyone else who finds himself in this situation.

Thanks again,

Andrew
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I would leave the knife in simple green for a while and scrub it with a cloth.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
unit

Post by unit »

What is it? I know that you are not supposed to take knives apart, but I have been known to do it ;)

My point is, if you can disassemble it, then you can clean all the internals where the smoke easily infiltrates.

I would think that if you can soak and scrub and soak everything in the correct solution, you will be good to go. The box is basically a loss I would think...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

JNewell wrote:I'm skeptical about the charcoal idea because every time I've gotten something from someone who smoked it has had a thin layer of tar on it that trapped the odor. When that's true (and you can see it when you rub some cleaner onto the surface - the cloth will be brownish), you have to dissolve and remove the tar (or whatever it is) that's on the surface. Blech. Think what the lungs look like inside...
If the knife is visibly stained, I would suggest scrubbing it down. But that won't neutralize odors that have penetrated the materials of the knife. Only some sort of deodorizer like charcoal or a man made deodorizer will help with that.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Simsmac wrote:If the knife is visibly stained, I would suggest scrubbing it down. But that won't neutralize odors that have penetrated the materials of the knife. Only some sort of deodorizer like charcoal or a man made deodorizer will help with that.
Blech ^3. That'd be right. Most of my post-smoking remediation :D has been on electronic gear, which is most materials that won't absorb. G10 and CF are probably surface only but FRN and micarta (and most natural materials) could absorb the $%&#@.
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

I have no idea how to get the smell off of a knife, but Im a hardware technician. If we find a laptop that smells of cigarettes we are instructed to replace anything that is cheap and the rest we wipe down with isopropyl rubbing alcohol and windex mixed together. It does pretty well at getting the smells out.

Apple computers will refuse to fix a machine all together if it smells like smoke....

So don't smoke around macs, and use rubbing alcohol and windex mixed!
cckw

Post by cckw »

spay till totally wet with Windex, scrub with tooth brush. that may be enough, but if not there are other ideas in the thread t odo next, or sit outside in the sun for a day or two
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cover it up with a stronger smell....smear poo on it :D

Lol seriously, my mom smokes and any time i have issues like that with something i usually just wash it in dish liquid. You may try spraying it down with WD40 and scrubbing it with that, it might at least mask the smell.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
fishwatcher

Post by fishwatcher »

I have had this happen to me. In fact, it was a Spyderco Native, and it did take a few days at least, to get the smell out. Here are the solutions I remember trying: alcohol, hot water with dishwashing soap, Febreeze, and yes, even wrapping it in Bounce laundry sheets and keeping it in a box for a few days.

Within about a week, I got the smell to go away, either completely, or with a very minimal remnant of the smell.

When I first got the knife though, it was really quite awful. By the time I was finished, it was quite acceptable.
AJF

Post by AJF »

Thanks again for all the inventive suggestions and ideas.

I'm actually having pretty good luck. The knife itself (FRN, btw), obviously the most important part of the deal, has reacted well to pretty simple stuff---just more scrubbing with soap & water, Lysol, rubbing alcohol, and lemon juice, plus several hours in the fresh air and sun.

The box and the foam pad and bubble sleeve inside are obviously less important, but they also had the strongest odor. My wife ran the foam pad through a laundry cycle, and that got rid of 80-90% of the odor. With the box, I gave it one whole day in the fresh air and sun, and a second day of the same, but with a section of fresh lemon inside the shell piece (on a small piece of plastic wrap). It is much improved.

I'm not quite done yet, though, and I really appreciate everyone's help.

Andrew
Pinetreebbs

Fabreze

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Fabreze, it works. It took the cigar smoke out of a pickup I gave to my oldest son. It was like magic. A good cleaning to remove the tar file first is a good idea.

BTW, the same son said Fabreze worked magic getting the funk out of ceramic vests in Iraq. Before each man had their own vest only those going outside of their base was issued issued a ceramic vests. 115 degrees and the materials could not be washed. :eek:
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

wd-40....
then pack it a few days it will work....
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

do you do the sniff test on all knives or is it everything? first we got blade tasters and now sniffers. should see if it has a tax stamp on it. this is all tff to me.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

bada61265 wrote:do you do the sniff test on all knives or is it everything? first we got blade tasters and now sniffers. should see if it has a tax stamp on it. this is all tff to me.
If you're not a smoker it's not fun handling items that are embedded with cigarette smell, EDC such a knife for a week and your hands and pocket will smell like cigarette butts. Yuk!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Fabreze, it works. It took the cigar smoke out of a pickup I gave to my oldest son. It was like magic. A good cleaning to remove the tar file first is a good idea.

BTW, the same son said Fabreze worked magic getting the funk out of ceramic vests in Iraq. Before each man had their own vest only those going outside of their base was issued issued a ceramic vests. 115 degrees and the materials could not be washed. :eek:
+1 on the Febreze. First wash the knife off with water to get any surface gunk. Dry it, spritz it with Febreze and put it in a baggie for a few hours. Repeat the Febreze/baggie process if it needs more deodorizing. Stuff really works.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

....become a smoker?

:D :D :D :D :D
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

SmoothOne25 wrote:....become a smoker?

:D :D :D :D :D
Best answer yet :D .
setldown

Post by setldown »

Great suggestions. When ever I want to get cigarette smell out of something I light up a Cohiba. Image :p
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

how did you add that icon ? the gun one... not in the "area" to the right?