Ayoob Sprint SE or PE?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

The Massad Ayoob, Which edge configuration would you want?

Plain Edge (PE)
55%
Spyderedge (SE)
13%
Both (SE & PE)
19%
Any Ayoob will do...
8%
Neither
5%

Total votes: 85

jezabel

Ayoob Sprint SE or PE?

Post by jezabel »

Recently Sal mentioned over on Blade Forums that the upcoming Massad Ayoob sprint was only being planned at this stage for release in Plain Edge. While SE edges might not be as popular with some folk, from all user reports the Massad Ayoob in SE truly stands out from the rest. IMO if there should ever be a sprint with full Spyderedge this is it. After all those SE Matriarchs sold pretty **** quickly ;)

Who here thinks the Massad Ayoob sprint should be released in both PE & SE??

J.
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
TBob

Post by TBob »

For an SD knife like the Ayoob, a PE is better. It doesn't snag on clothing. I'd go for a PE if it comes up in a Sprint run, depending on the scales. I'd prefer black CF or G10 scales.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

jezabel wrote:Who here thinks the Massad Ayoob sprint should be released in both PE & SE??
J.
I do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

Mine:

But I think that SE is better for a SD knife, like the matriach. I can't explain what with my bad english but I found somenone who says what I meant:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274
Carlos wrote:1. Serrations will bite into and cut through tough materials (some types of clothing) that a plain edge will simply slide off of (especially when we are talking about small 4" or less folders with little mass for cleaving -- Chinook excepted -- and you are relying on slicing power).

2. Serrations are chisel ground at a more acute angle and thus a serrated blade is literally sharper than a comparable plain-edged blade. A serrated edge can use this more acute angle and yet be more durable than a more obtuse plain-edge.

If your MBC folder will serve double duty then it hangs more on your personal preference and what your day-to-day cutting tasks are, and what you find easier to keep super sharp (very important).

Another possibility to recall is the ability to put a rough edge on a non-serrated knife. So even if you prefer plain for utility, you can keep part of the "biting" ability of serrations.
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
Red Berens

Post by Red Berens »

I haven't been this excited about a knife in a long time. Has anyone heard if it's planned for this year or next?
LDB

Post by LDB »

Combination edge. Thanks.
vaa

Post by vaa »

Both so there is more of a chance to get at least one of them.
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

I voted for the SE --- from what I've read , the SE on the Ayoob cut better then the PE --- so hopefully , Sal and crew would use the same type of serrattions on the Ayoob II.

BTW --- I just got a Ayoob with SE and it is wicked --- have NOT done any cutting tests with it but I sure want to !!!!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

SE didn't sell well, just ask Sal. I know a site that still lists NOS SE Ayoobs as in stock. PM me if you want the link.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I'll take one of each please!

The big question for me is, will this sprint be in FFG, or in the original saber hollow?

B/C I carried the PE for a few months, and it was a pretty mediocre performer in saber hollow. It just didn't bite into materials the right way, something was off. After getting it FFG by Tom Krein, it was an amazing slicer. So a FFG PE Ayoob would be GTG.

In contrast, the SE ayoob was a cutting beast right out of the box. I still think fondly about the couch I dissected with it several years ago, it just ate that thing. :eek:

If its going to be saber, it should be in SE. The Massad Ayoob SE is truly an amazing performer.
-the negative blade angle + full belly blade makes puts a lot of scallops on the material, so its a pull cutting performer way ahead of most hawkbills.
- it passed Doc Snubnoses meat tests with flying colors in SE
-it looks badass is SE
- currently there are no other negative blade angle knives with SE
- it would be well suited to police work in SE

But ideally, much like the Matriarch, I think it should be a 600-600 PE/SE split. Divide and conquer as they say. After all, look how many people bought 1 of each of the Matriarch.

I for would buy 1 PE and 1 SE. :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Doesn't matter PE or SE both cut the same and SE does not get caught up on clothing like other SE knives...so to me, both would be nice, but for SD either works well and both cut the same....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Dr. Snubnose

Meat Test results for the SE Ayoob

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Here is a reprint of the thread I posted where the Ayoob SE was meat tested:

I tested 8 more knives using the same procedure as in previous tests.* At the request of IV I did some of the more traditional to see the results. Which are as follows:
#4 Horizontal Slash into Meat for Depth of cut
Bill Moran curved Blade PE 1 1/2"
Endura FRN SE 1 1/2"
Endura FRN PE 2 1/2"
Delica FRN SE 1/4"
Delica FRN PE 1 1/2"
Civilian PE 1 3/4" (length of cut was an impressive 8 1/4")
Ayoob SE 3"
Lady Bug CE 1 1/2" (scalpel hold)
"]#5 Stab and Cut TestDepth then Lenght of Cut

Moran 2 1/2" 7 1/2"
Endura SE 2 1/2" 1"
Endura PE 3" 5 1/4"
Delica SE 3/4" 1/2"
Delica PE 2" 4 1/4"
Civilian PE No Test
Mas Ayoob SE 2 3/4" 7 1/2"
Ladybug CE 1 1/4" 2"

Interesting that the Ayoob Cut deeper than any other SE knife tested. Also interesting that the Ladybug CE did so well for it's small size. Generally speaking the SE models got caught up in the Jeans and Meat rather quickly, The Civilian cut long but didn't make the depth I would have liked to witness, I think only a small portion of the tip came in contact with the meat, based on the movement of the slash and blade design...Doc
* See previous tests #1,2,& 3, for details on testing procedure and materials.
Doc :D __________________These test were conducted with round roasts wrapped in 4 layers of saran wrap (to mimic the resistance of skin) then place inside a denim pant leg.
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Carlos wrote:SE didn't sell well, just ask Sal. I know a site that still lists NOS SE Ayoobs as in stock. PM me if you want the link.
Well , I'd think thats the "bottom line" !!!
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Just a timely BUMP for those that haven't voted.
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't honestly say I'd be interested in another Ayoob, but if I were to break down and buy one, it would be PE.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

The sample is a plain edge and the run is scheduled to be a plain edge.

sal
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

The plain edge will make a nice safe queen and will make the apple cutters happy. But the knife was not designed for that. Not making a serrated ayoob would be a sin. Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

sal wrote:The sample is a plain edge and the run is scheduled to be a plain edge.

sal
Looking forward to the bent (on cutting) knife.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
sal

Post by sal »

BHDKnifer wrote:The plain edge will make a nice safe queen and will make the apple cutters happy. But the knife was not designed for that. Not making a serrated ayoob would be a sin. Take care.
Hi Knifer,

Massad wasn't all that thrilled when I said I wanted to make a serrated version. As it tuned out, the serrated version didn't sell that well.

sal
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

I can not find a lil smiley crying so this will have to do :(
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder: