Tasman or the Spyderhawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gunnut35

Tasman or the Spyderhawk

Post by gunnut35 »

I have been debating which one of these to get and i just cant make up my mind. I have not handled theses two knifes in person and would really like to see a comparison shot of the two. If anyone out there has both, can i please see a side by side shot of them. I do appreciate all the information i get on here and look forward to all future info on these two knifes.
Thank you
Shawn
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I have my Spyderhawk attached to my SCUBA BC. It is the perfect sized dive knife I feel. If I were to EDC it I would want to carry a Tasman instead. The Tasman would be more than enough for any edc task and looks less intimidating. I currently carry a Salt I now and that's a perfect size IMO. The Tasman is the same size as the salt I.

The Spyderhawk Salt is an awesome knife though, especially if you plan to use it in outdoors situations and not just EDC stuff. I have been debating getting a Tasman myself to possibly EDC it.
delicafreak

Post by delicafreak »

i got the tasman and sorta regret it, not that its bad, but the spyderhawk just seems more badass. i would recommend a SE because of its extraordinary edge holing capabilities
it all started november 2010.. now Im up to 16:spyder:'s and 2 BYRD's and still, theres many more to come. thanks sal :p:D HUGE thanks to my dad for my newly accuired Orange manix 2!:D
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Here is the Spyderhawk next to my Salt I. I don't have a Tasman but it it the same size as the Salt I.
Attachments
IMG_4269.jpg
IMG_4269.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 4429 times
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Great pic.
Thank you very much.
I think i will get a Tasman PE now and in a few weeks i will pick up a SE Spyderhawk.
syphen

Post by syphen »

Both are great, I prefer the Tasman Salt however.. its much more EDC-able.
Too many Spydies to list!
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I have both in the serrated versions, and I prefer the Spyderhawk. I use it mostly for precision clearing of blackberry brambles and other vegetation including small trees (Slide alders and vine maple). It's bigger and has a more aggressive curve to it, which lets it rip through stuff in one cut that the Tasman can't handle without a few slices. For thinner easier to cut stuff or EDC, the Tasman's probably a better size (Unless you're one of those strange people who thinks of a Military or Endura as a small knife), but for hard work, Spyderhawk all the way. The thing's a beast. :)
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Don't have pic of JUST those two, but the bottom two in the left-hand column fit the bill.

Not quite ALL my Hawkbills (the four Matriarchs are missing from this pic)
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For people who have held an Endura or similar knife it's quite large. Take that handle and put slightly over 3.5" of hawkbill on it and it has a VERY impressive footprint. Open it's a beast that would send a LA Gang running. :D

The Tasman is a very efficient cutting package while still being small enough to justify for daily use. It's basically a Delica with ripping/pull-cut steroids.

If you do most of your work outside in the garden, on a boat, etc the Spyderhawk is the knife I would choose. If you spend 3/4's of your time in the office or have law specifics against it, the Tasman is amazing. If it suits your purpose there is no reason to go bigger.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Thank you all for the excellent pics and for the info.
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

I'm thinking of getting a Spyderhawk because they've mostly switched over to screw construction, rather than the pinned construction from before, which they are still using on the Tasman.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I ended up ordering a PE Tasman and a SE Spyderhawk.
chode messiah

Post by chode messiah »

Feel-wise you're pretty much looking at Endura vs Delica. Handles are quite similar, you're just using a hawkbill. Generally I use the Tasman, simply because if I need a heavier duty blade I'll go for a more robust/usable blade shape, and if I'm carrying a salt at all, it's usually because I'm at the beach and I don't need a large(r) knife on me.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

gunnut35 wrote:I ended up ordering a PE Tasman and a SE Spyderhawk.
Basically, the bottom left two in my pic. :D Good choices, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

Go with screw construction and the bigger more capable blade if it is legal.I do think you could get by on either to be honest.I wish they offered the Spyderhawk in more colors and VG 10 plain edge for people like me who do not need the corrosion resistance but want a longer edge life.I cut teflon tubing and cardboard boxes and pallet straps at work. VG 10 is corrosion resistant enough for me.A blue plain edge Vg 10 Spyderhawk would be a "gotta have knife" for me. I actually prefer Spydercos VG 10 over ANY knife steel I have including S30V and D2.Perfect balance of what a knife steel should be.I even like the metallic smell of VG10 after I was debris out of it.Reminds me of a gun steel smell.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

TrojanDonkey wrote:I wish they offered the Spyderhawk in more colors and VG 10 plain edge...

A blue plain edge Vg 10 Spyderhawk would be a "gotta have knife" for me.
While I too would like to see more of them in more colors (and maybe even a G-10 Version), I kind of doubt that if more were produced, they would be blue, or VG-10 steel. They have already done a blue PE VG-10 Spyderhawk (2 versions - with forum markings and without). See my pic above.

Usually, when Spyderco does a re-issue of an earlier model, they change things around a bit - different colors, steel, etc. The H-1 Spyderhawk is actually one of those re-issued models.

If you really want a blue PE VG-10 Spyderhawk, you are going to have to hunt around for someone selling one (and no, mine is not available. :D ).

Personally, I wish they had made the blue ones in SE too, but... :(
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I do really like both the Tasman and Spyderhawk but seem to carry the Tasman a lot more. I will be picking up a PE Spyderhawk as well but cant seem to find one in black lately. I am sure they made them but they seem to have vanished.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

gunnut35 wrote:I do really like both the Tasman and Spyderhawk but seem to carry the Tasman a lot more. I will be picking up a PE Spyderhawk as well but cant seem to find one in black lately. I am sure they made them but they seem to have vanished.
Originally, the Spyderhawk (black) was ONLY made in SE, no PE. When they made the Forum Spyderhawks (blue), those were made in PE only, no SE. Now the H-1 Spyderhawks (yellow) are being made in both PE and SE.

So, unfortunately, there are no black PE Spyderhawks, unless you do like some have and get a PE H-1 Spyderhawk and dye it black.

Basically, the choices are what is shown in the pic below.

There are variations on these, but they are the four main types. More information can be found here on the Spydiewiki page for the Spyderhawk.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Thank you.
I guess i will have to dye on.