Illegal knife confiscation

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

Post by raven »

jackknifeh wrote:Raven, if you think you are disliked here you are mistaken. If this were a perfect world you wouldn't have a job doing what you do. But it isn't a perfect world. We need people like you. I hope you understand this but I hate needing you. I would rather be able to protect myself. This delves into a completely different subject that has been discussed more than I know so I won't continue.

"The law is for the lawless." That may not be an exact quote but it comes from a book you may be familiar with. Just want you to know that LEO's are appreciated in my mind.

Jack
I can respect and Thank You for your thoughts ;) . There is so much we have to deal with on a daily basis and get scrutinized for decisions we make, many times is out of our control and have to follow what the law says.

We are monitored under a microscope if you will. The public watches every move we make and just wait for us to mess up. It never fails ...we often hear about discretion of an officer and the media always manages to find that one officer that makes a "Boneheaded" decision that paints the rest of the good officers as being "Bad Cops". We're never give the benefit of the doubt.

I've seen a department get chewed up and stereotyped as being a bad department solely on the dumb decision of ONE officer. It's usually on bad information and they never get the entire story. Unfortunately even I'm guilty of that :o . Sometimes we as a society are just to quick to judge ... again, I'm not perfect and am just as guilty :( . Many, many times I have to go back and make sure I have my facts and information straight before I say or do anything.

I can respect your opinion of not having to need us ...totally understandable ;) . Let's see if I can explain how I view this?? There are many out there that can't or are not capable of protecting themselves and need our help. I always have the attitude of being able to help and defend the "little guys", because they can't and need someone to step in for them ;) . I have always felt I'm there for them... Not for me. I'm not there to overstep boundaries or exceed my authority. That's not what this job is about. So many I see that they think the badge makes them ...the person behind the badge MAKES THE BADGE. Me, I personally respect the citizens and listen to what they want of me and try to meet those wants. Without the citizens and information they have and pass on to me ...my job would be a lot harder. Again, I'm here for the little guy and less fortunate that can't defend themselves :) . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Raven,
I believe most cops do that job because they want to help people. Or maybe you do it for the big bucks. :D I should have been a comedian with jokes like that. I thank you and others for your efforts and YOU stay safe.

Jack
marcdurant

Post by marcdurant »

I got pulled over once in rural New Jersey at 2am for an illegal turn (was lost, trying to find a campground). This was the Christmas of 2001, and 9/11 was probably pretty fresh in everyone's mind. The policeman came up for my driver's license, then called for backup before ordering me out of the car. As it turns out, he thought my aluminum cd case on the passenger seat was a pistol case.

So I've got my hands on my head and he's asking if I've got any knives or weapons on me, and I realize I've got my Endura clipped in my pocket. He was impressed by the length of the blade, and not in a good way.

Long story short, he eventually decided I wasn't worth bothering with. Gave me back the Endura and told me to put it somewhere out of reach until I was out of New Jersey. Ended up giving me a traffic ticket and telling me to get out of town.

So... I guess it totally depends on the officer and what kind of day he's having, and also whether you're an ******* or not.
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

raven wrote:WOW :eek: ... For as much as we put our lives on the line to protect others ...I didn't know we LEOs were so disliked here???
LEO's always get a bad rap and a good portion of it is due to the media and ignorance. When is the last time you remember hearing or seeing a story about something police did well? When is the last time you remember hearing a story about something an officer did that was questionable? The negatives always out weight the positive because the negatives and fear mongering equals better ratings.

For instance up in Canada, specifically BC, people are calling for the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police -- basically a federal police force for places that can afford to supply their own force) to be disbanded and replaced with a provincial force because of all the heat they have been getting in the media, starting with our tazer incident of the polish gentleman.

Some of it is deserved because there is corruption/favoritism showing to bad officers and there are some bad officers who really shouldn't be working.

The most recent incidence happened in Kelowna where a gentleman was driving home from work with his rifle. He was scaring goose off a golf course legally, but some moronic neighbor called the cops because he was distrubing the area. The Police pulled him over asked him to exit the vechile and get on his knees, which he did. They then instructed him to get on his belly however this gentleman had a bad back and was slow to comply because it wasn't physically possible to go faster. The "officer" proceeded to kick him right in the mouth with his boot because the gentleman wasn't complying fast enough which equaled resistance. Once it was made public that this "officer" has a history of abuse all **** broke loose and of course all RCMP got painted with the same brush.

Some people are smart enough to know that you can't judge all of them based on the actions of a select few...other unfortunately are not this smart.