Anyone here with gayle Bradley with date code JJ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CrimsonTideShooter

Anyone here with gayle Bradley with date code JJ?

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

Hi all, first post.

I have 2 gayle bradleys that I bought recently at the same time. I love them fit and finish wise, however I am concerned about the edge holding ability of my knives. I am starting to think mine have a bad HT because when doing cutting tests my GB's roll and chip very badly - and they also do not seem to stay sharp as long as my other knives, even my American lawman in aus8. Both knives are sharpened at 36 degrees inclusive and polished to 6000 grit using the edge pro.

So my question is, does anyone here have a GB with date code JJ? If you do can you give me some input?
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

Mine's KJ. Is that close?
CrimsonTideShooter

That's one month after mine. I guess it's pretty close.

How is the edge retention on yours? Mine literally doesn't hold up nearly as well as AUS8 or 14c28n or 154cm.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:That's one month after mine. I guess it's pretty close.

How is the edge retention on yours? Mine literally doesn't hold up nearly as well as AUS8 or 14c28n or 154cm.
I saw your post about that in BF. So that issue still hasn't been resolved? Why not give spyderco CS a call about that and maybe send the knife in.
CrimsonTideShooter

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I saw your post about that in BF. So that issue still hasn't been resolved? Why not give spyderco CS a call about that and maybe send the knife in.
I talked to Charlene about it, and they said that if I send them in they will Rockwell them.

I guess that if this really is that abnormal then I have no choice but to send them in.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:I talked to Charlene about it, and they said that if I send them in they will Rockwell them.

I guess that if this really is that abnormal then I have no choice but to send them in.
Probably the best thing to do. I have a JJ and a KJ and no issues so far. My JJ has seen the most use of the two.
CrimsonTideShooter

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Probably the best thing to do. I have a JJ and a KJ and no issues so far. My JJ has seen the most use of the two.
Really? It seems like all of the ones made in the same month would be from the same batch.

I'm almost tempted to send just one knife to someone who has experience with m4 to see what they think about it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:Really? It seems like all of the ones made in the same month would be from the same batch.

I'm almost tempted to send just one knife to someone who has experience with m4 to see what they think about it.
Well, when I saw your post in BF, I immediately set about cutting cardboard with my GB and another S30V(since the only AUS-8 that I have is SE) knife that I estimated to be at about 58 rc from Ankerson et al's tests. I went with 40 cuts each. The GB was still armhair shaving after. The S30V could still cut well but took some more effort. This probably was from the grind configuration but I was satisfied with starting and ending force needed on the GB.

I also inspected the edge with a loupe and found no rolling.

But maybe you can send off a knife to some of the more experienced guys and get an opinion.
CrimsonTideShooter

Thanks chuck. You saying there was no rolling throws a big red flag for me, as both of mine roll so badly that it can be seen with the naked eye.

I guess I really have no other course of action now. Back to spyderco they both go. :(
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:Thanks chuck. You saying there was no rolling throws a big red flag for me, as both of mine roll so badly that it can be seen with the naked eye.

I guess I really have no other course of action now. Back to spyderco they both go. :(
Yep, no rolling. And you're welcome.

I hope this turns out well for you.
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:That's one month after mine. I guess it's pretty close.

I've found that it has great edge retention. I tested it out on some cardboard, and by the end it was still sharp enough to slice paper as if nothing had happened. None of my other knives come close.

CrimsonTideShooter

Tsujigiri wrote:I've found that it has great edge retention. I tested it out on some cardboard, and by the end it was still sharp enough to slice paper as if nothing had happened. None of my other knives come close.

Wow after that much cutting my GB would look like it had a hacksaw blade.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Got a JJ code and no problem with it. Did you got a picture of the "bad" one?
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:Wow after that much cutting my GB would look like it had a hacksaw blade.
Hmm, that does sound odd. Maybe it's a wire edge problem?
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

CrimsonTide, have you sent them back to Spyderco after consulting W&R and letting them know they're coming? This is the only complaint I have heard with the M4 on the Bradley. If a batch went badly I'd expect it to be caught by QC or hear a bunch of complaints. Interested in knowing how things turn out :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
CrimsonTideShooter

dbcad wrote:CrimsonTide, have you sent them back to Spyderco after consulting W&R and letting them know they're coming? This is the only complaint I have heard with the M4 on the Bradley. If a batch went badly I'd expect it to be caught by QC or hear a bunch of complaints. Interested in knowing how things turn out :)
I talked to Charlene last week, so yes they will definitely be going back sometime next week. They are going to rockwell them and then proceed accordingly.

I posted this thread hoping to gain some more info, but it seems like my experience is isolated.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

I'm interested to hear what the outcome of all this is so please keep us posted.

My Bradley sees plenty of use so here's a little food for thought...

I cant recall what date code my Bradley is, though it's from the very first batch /no Bradley logo. (EDIT ...I just found my box's, My M4 Bradley's LI though my M4 Millie is JJ)
I've experienced small chipping and rolling in the past, mostly when the knife was rather fresh and new.
The bulk of the damage I'm referring to was from slicing up the most abrasive cardboard I've ever encountered. I completely wiped the edges on my M4 Bradley, 2 x D2 Para's and an SE 440V Millie well before my morning break..... I sure had some sharpening to do that night :eek:

At first I thought the Bradley should have held up a bit better than it did, though looking back any time the Bradley's sustained damage it's been during pull cutting. To this day the edge has always held up perfectly while push cutting.

Why? I don't really know, perhaps it's due to grain structure of CPM M4, RC hardness, my methods of sharpening or needing to run wider edge angles to better suit the sort of abusive cutting I do. Or maybe any combination of of the above.

YMMV but IMO M4 excels during push cutting and performs better than most for nearly everything else.

At the end of the day "it is what it is".

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
btb27823

Post by btb27823 »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:Hi all, first post.

I have 2 gayle bradleys that I bought recently at the same time. I love them fit and finish wise, however I am concerned about the edge holding ability of my knives. I am starting to think mine have a bad HT because when doing cutting tests my GB's roll and chip very badly - and they also do not seem to stay sharp as long as my other knives, even my American lawman in aus8. Both knives are sharpened at 36 degrees inclusive and polished to 6000 grit using the edge pro.

So my question is, does anyone here have a GB with date code JJ? If you do can you give me some input?
I am coming in a bit late to the party, but I just received my GB and am having the same problem. I have reprofiled the edge to 35 deg. included and have 'finished' with 0.1 micron diamond film, 10K Sigma Power, 8K Kitayama and Spyderco UF ceramic, with and without leather stropping. Checked finished edge with 30 power loop and no evidence of burr. Initially the knife cuts (hair shaving/popping) yet it just does not last long. Using corrugated as my reference, the edge does not hold up well compared to 1095, 5160, 52100, D2, S30V and VG10. Disappointing to say the least.

Have you gotten any feedback from Spyderco? Am going to contact them next week but thought I would see what you heard from them and if they were taking any action (testing) for you.

Date code is KJ (Nov. '10)
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I'm really interested in the resolution of this issue, as I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Bradley next week (from CS, no less). However, now I'm a bit gunshy about getting one from the same batch now that there are multiple people with this issue

Edit--BTW--Anyone who has a GB from CS, with around the same production date, if you could post your experience with the steel performance I would be very grateful. It could put my mind at ease.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yup, I have two, a KJ and JJ. No issues with both.