8 Day old Delica 4, Peice of junk...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TacticalEcto

8 Day old Delica 4, Peice of junk...

Post by TacticalEcto »

Just recently purchased my first spyderco knife, was Absolutely in love with it until about 3 hours ago... I have babied the knife since I owned it and 3 hours ago i dropped it off my thigh onto tile, We are talking about a static 2.5 foot fall onto slick tile. And now if you shake it, it just chatters with blade play in the open and closed position..

This is unacceptable? Its a brand new, never been dropped before, hunk of steel, and its going to go and break already? What should I do with it now? :mad:

I am quite confused here...

Is there a Warranty that will save me here? I did not receive any paperwork in the box the knife came from. I would love to say this is their fault here.
araneae

Post by araneae »

What sort of play? Side to side? Have you tried tightening the pivot? The drop may have loosened the screw.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Sorry to hear about your issue. First off, you should know that Spyderco is known for having some of the very best customer care and service. Second, unless you broke a piece of the frn (which I doubt), I would see if the pivot screw has been jostled a bit. Chances are, you just need to tighten it a bit to eliminate the side to side blade play. To make sure it doesnt happen again, you can get some loctite thread locker (blue). If that doesnt work, contact Spyderco and see what they can do for you. Hope this helps -
TacticalEcto

Post by TacticalEcto »

Its the stainless steel version. I have no screws that I know of. And I'm glad to hear they are known for service but I will be mad to even pay for shipping on this. I bought this knife over a cheaper one so i never had to worry about the little stuff like this...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Wouldn't it would have been better to have contacted Spyderco CS and see what they said before going online and crying wolf?
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

I may be wrong here but it is possible Spyderco offers scale replacements as a kit for the delica or endura models. You would have to double check that though. Perhaps replacing the scales would remove the wiggle? If the pivot has bent (ie the knife dropped not on the FRN but on the back of the blade) you might be out of luck.

Hope it can be fixed.
araneae

Post by araneae »

In which direction is the play? Was the knife open when it fell? That does seem highly unusual for only a 2.5 foot fall.

CS will ask you to send the knife in for examination, if it is deemed a warranty issue they will take care of you. This will cost you about $5.
-Nick

araneae

Post by araneae »

Armalite Native wrote:I may be wrong here but it is possible Spyderco offers scale replacements as a kit for the delica or endura models. You would have to double check that though. Perhaps replacing the scales would remove the wiggle? If the pivot has bent (ie the knife dropped not on the FRN but on the back of the blade) you might be out of luck.

Hope it can be fixed.
Its a stainless model, no scales. Also they don't sell scales, just some of the inner parts (that are sold together in the repair kits).
-Nick

markg

Post by markg »

FYI, drop ANY knife on tile and you are lucky to end up with anything good. Tile is very hard (especially if ceramic) and if the blade was open, expect to break the tip off the blade or chip the edge.

I know the fall was less than 3 feet, but any fall onto tile will result in some damage to almost any knife.

It might be iffy if this covered under the warranty too, I am afraid to say. Dropping a knife is not a defect in material or workmanship.

In regards to knives, there is no free lunch and everything is a trade off. High preformance steels are very hard, and can tend to be less able to shrug off being dropped or banged around. Lower grade steels (AUS-6 comes to mind) will deal with these things better BUT its edge holding properties are pretty suspect.

Spyderco makes good knives, it just looks like your luck was bad on this one knife. :(
TacticalEcto

Post by TacticalEcto »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Wouldn't it would have been better to have contacted Spyderco CS and see what they said before going online and crying wolf?
You are probably right.

But since they didn't have any warranty info on it i was wondering what i was working with.
araneae

Post by araneae »

TacticalEcto wrote:You are probably right.

But since they didn't have any warranty info on it i was wondering what i was working with.
Warranty info is printed on the inside of the box.
-Nick

TacticalEcto

Post by TacticalEcto »

I wrote my last reply before i could read your message Markg .

So in reply of your reply, the blade was closed, so its all the failings of the internals. i think it might be tough for the internal parts to handle the kind of serious mass this knife has. Its just heavy. And with it being thin Its just probably not very sturdy up in there. I know that its not "technically" their fault, it would have been cool to have a warning label on it explaining how, It will break no matter how well you take care of it...
Its honestly never going to be worth the $64 i paid for it. the peace of mind to it is just gone.. it will be hard to trust this model spyderco again. (If i had the chance i would straight trade for a blue ffg in a heartbeat)
If they fix it i will probably sell it and buy a Blue FRN FFG D4.
And im just distraught over the whole deal.. haha i know its a knife but BLEEP BLEEP'IT!! I did my homework and paid good money for this...
TacticalEcto

Post by TacticalEcto »

araneae wrote:Warranty info is printed on the inside of the box.
I see it now. Thanks.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TacticalEcto wrote:Just recently purchased my first spyderco knife, was Absolutely in love with it until about 3 hours ago... I have babied the knife since I owned it and 3 hours ago i dropped it off my thigh onto tile, We are talking about a static 2.5 foot fall onto slick tile. And now if you shake it, it just chatters with blade play in the open and closed position..

This is unacceptable? Its a brand new, never been dropped before, hunk of steel, and its going to go and break already? What should I do with it now? :mad:

I am quite confused here...

Is there a Warranty that will save me here? I did not receive any paperwork in the box the knife came from. I would love to say this is their fault here.
So let me see if I have this right. You dropped your knife onto a hard surface, and it is somehow Spyderco's fault? Your first action, rather than contacting them is to jump on the internet, throw a tantrum and call the knife a piece of junk? Very mature. Very reasonable.

The warranty information is printed on the bottom of the tray portion of the box. If Spyderco will not repair or replace the knife, I will refund your purchase price out of my own pocket, if you promise to go away and not buy another knife until you grow up.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Dude, you are seriously, seriously overreacting. Dropping any item with moving parts on a hard surface can knock parts loose. I don't care how expensive it is or who the manufacturer is. Would you have the same reaction if you dropped a $4k Rolex watch and it broke? No manufacturer's products can be immune to physics...If your knife were able to withstand impact on the pivot, the pivot tension would have to be so tight that you would surely complain about that and say it's a piece of junk because it's not smooth..

The same thing happened with my Military (a $150 knife if you didn't know), and I just took a while and tightened up the torx screws and it was fine. If I hadn't been able to fix it, I would have been upset...but I would have known that it's my fault. And I would have sent it into W&R and hoped for the best...not call it a "piece of junk" because I accidentally dropped it on a tile floor.

Since it's an SS model, you'll have to send it in to be tightened up..I guarantee that all it is is a loosened screw, and guess what--that has NOTHING to do with the build quality. Any item with moving parts needs spaces for those parts to move in. Jarring impacts can cause a sudden loosening of these spaces.

If it truly is a defect, they won't make you pay for shipping. However, the warranty does NOT protect against accidents or neglect...but maybe you should see how they handle it before you throw a fit and say you can't trust spyderco...as if other company's knives wouldn't get messed up from the same impact?? Give me a break dude.

Wait and see if it works out before you declare that the sky is falling and spyderco's are "junk"

Sorry, but your title is really inflammatory and you come off as a toddler who broke their toy and is having a tantrum. It's not spyderco's fault you smashed it on a hard surface, although I'm sure they'll be happy to take a look and probably fix it easily.

How 'bout you do a test and take you cheap knife, and drop it on the same surface, and see if it fairs better...

So here's what we learned:
if you want to be able to readjust you knife, don't get an SS model.
Be careful not to drop your knife on a hard surface if you can't readjust it.
Spyderco never claimed that their knives can withstand impacts with hard surfaces..

BTW I dropped my laptop on cement and now the screen's broken and it won't turn on! HP's are a piece of junk! I'm never buying one again! I have a warranty, but why should I send it in?

Also, never buy a Jeep! I drove mine into a tree at 30 MPH and the piece of junk totally fell apart!!
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I agree with other comments here, how is this spyderco's fault? I flung a PE dodo across my old apartment one time and the spine of the knife got a small nick on it. Should I call for a refund or just call the knife junk?

yab,
you can buy me a knife!
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
TacticalEcto

Post by TacticalEcto »

Ill gladly deal with this issue solo. You win, I logged onto this site today to ask into more about the warranty info and how to contact them on this (since I had never flipped over the tray to find it although i had looked everywhere else.) and instead I did a hydrocodone rant. (Prescribed, I hate the stuff) so With Info I now have I'm great.

Thanks for everything (Including the flame by Yablabowitz)

<Delete thread>
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

The Mentaculous wrote:Dude, you are seriously, seriously overreacting. Dropping any item with moving parts on a hard surface can knock parts loose. I don't care how expensive it is or who the manufacturer is. Would you have the same reaction if you dropped a $4k Rolex watch and it broke? No manufacturer's products can be immune to physics...If your knife were able to withstand impact on the pivot, the pivot tension would have to be so tight that you would surely complain about that and say it's a piece of junk because it's not smooth..

The same thing happened with my Military (a $150 knife if you didn't know), and I just took a while and tightened up the torx screws and it was fine. If I hadn't been able to fix it, I would have been upset...but I would have known that it's my fault. And I would have sent it into W&R and hoped for the best...not call it a "piece of junk" because I accidentally dropped it on a tile floor.

Since it's an SS model, you'll have to send it in to be tightened up..I guarantee that all it is is a loosened screw, and guess what--that has NOTHING to do with the build quality. Any item with moving parts needs spaces for those parts to move in. Jarring impacts can cause a sudden loosening of these spaces.

If it truly is a defect, they won't make you pay for shipping. However, the warranty does NOT protect against accidents or neglect...but maybe you should see how they handle it before you throw a fit and say you can't trust spyderco...as if other company's knives wouldn't get messed up from the same impact?? Give me a break dude.

Wait and see if it works out before you declare that the sky is falling and spyderco's are "junk"

Sorry, but your title is really inflammatory and you come off as a toddler who broke their toy and is having a tantrum. It's not spyderco's fault you smashed it on a hard surface, although I'm sure they'll be happy to take a look and probably fix it easily.

How 'bout you do a test and take you cheap knife, and drop it on the same surface, and see if it fairs better...

So here's what we learned:
if you want to be able to readjust you knife, don't get an SS model.
Be careful not to drop your knife on a hard surface if you can't readjust it.
Spyderco never claimed that their knives can withstand impacts with hard surfaces..

BTW I dropped my laptop on cement and now the screen's broken and it won't turn on! HP's are a piece of junk! I'm never buying one again! I have a warranty, but why should I send it in?

Also, never buy a Jeep! I drove mine into a tree at 30 MPH and the piece of junk totally fell apart!!
+1, couldn't have said it better myself.

It's rather difficult trying to come up with something that hasn't already been said. It's not Spyderco's fault you dropped it, and you could have handled yourself and this whole situation a lot better than you did.
This is unacceptable? Its a brand new, never been dropped before, hunk of steel, and its going to go and break already? What should I do with it now?
:confused: Problems came after you dropped it??

ETA: Glad you were able to find what you were looking for. Try to calm down and think logically before ranting next time ;)
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

TacticalEcto wrote:Ill gladly deal with this issue solo. You win, I logged onto this site today to ask into more about the warranty info and how to contact them on this (since I had never flipped over the tray to find it although i had looked everywhere else.) and instead I did a hydrocodone rant. (Prescribed, I hate the stuff) so With Info I now have I'm great.

Thanks for everything (Including the flame by Yablabowitz)

<Delete thread>
Careful dude, that stuff is basically the same in effect as Heroin. I got off oxycodone and hydrocodone a few years ago, and let me tell you, it's not easy. Seriously, take care and stay well.

PS-Yab's post was NOT a flame by any means. It was honest, and possibly an understated response. He showed a lot more restraint than I did. What did he post that was out of line? Everything he said was true..it is immature to blame a manufacturer for your accident.

I really hope it all works out for you though, and you get a more objective sense of what a high-quality product is and isn't. I agree with Yab that if you have the same attitude, you shouldn't buy spyderco's or any expensive knives, because you will just be disappointed. Nothing in the world is perfect, and for $65, the quality you get in an SS delica is amazing. I hope that you can come to enjoy spyderco knives for what they are--high performance matter separators.

PpS-I understand being upset, when I first got some expensive knives, I would freak out when something happened to them as well. I just did it privately and didn't condemn the maker. I hope you have many healthy years enjoying these great knives in the future.
TacticalEcto

Post by TacticalEcto »

Wow too fast to keep up, You are completely right the mentaculous and domanfp. I wrote what I would be afraid to say about my beloved spyderco. I will reluctantly send it in tomorrow after I give them a call. Hopefully I will end up with a FRN at some point this month although I just absolutely LOVE the fresh stainless look but Practicality wise its not for me i have learned.

Ill catch back up with this thread tom, this thing is like a wildfire. Hold your thoughts.