Knives you want to like but somehow don't

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

The Manix 2, Stretch, and OG Persian I never could like as much as I wanted to. All nice, but just never really clicked.

Also, I must be the only person that loves the Lum Chinese. Always felt great in my hands, and I have pretty big hands. :confused:
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

Sage 2 for me. Too wide and heavy. I prefer the Caly 3 with the same amount of cutting length and much better fit for my hands.

For the record I've seen the sharpmaker VCR video and Sal's hands are about 3 times the size of mine in volume. My hands are more like the lady in the video (Marney?) I am surprised that any knife that fits Sal's hand would feel ok in mine.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

1. Cricket. I had one. Carried for couple days and wasn't impressed. Sold. When etched variant came out I decided to give second try, but it didn't last long either.
2. Sage. I had CF Sage for a while. Sage series sound like a great collection, but I do not like the blade. I love my Calys (hump), I like Natives (no hump), but just cannot take the blade with half-hump. I am not crazy about small Manix and Manix2 for the same reason.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Full size Dyad. I wanted to love this knife. Polished Micarta handle, large SE and amazingly thin PE blades. I just couldn't get a comfortable grip. Also, and this is blaspheme for me, Caly 3. Even choking up on the blade there just wasn't enough room for my little finger.

The Caly 3.5 solved that problem. I still have to use the choil to get my whole hand to fit. But is fits and that blade is amazing.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Native. Open it up and it's awesome, but the hole is too small and partly obscured (annoying to open). Also, the spear-shaped swedge is too dagger-like. It really is a great user aside from all that.

- best wishes, Jazz.
ace

Post by ace »

Love my Caly 3 in carbon fiber, but do not like the Persian 2 I just bought.
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I really want to like my Para 2, but something doesn't seem right. Maybe the problems I was having with the lock have me snake-bitten or me wishing it had the same length blade of the original Para. I DO like the 4 pos. clip option, stepped (bushing) pivot, and less pronounced hump near the butt end of the handle. The jury is out for now. Once I carry it for another month or so, I'll have a definite answer.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I had a love/hate relationship with the Phoenix..
I hated the Terzuola SLIPIT until i sanded off the, IMHO cheesy tassel nub and rounded out the but end of the handle. "Now i love it"
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

LUM and Rock Lobster

Everyone else seems to like them, but they do nothing for me :(
Vic
scout

Post by scout »

I thought that the Lum Tanto would be my grail, but the tip is just too thick for my liking. If you ever get to carrying two knives, the compromise doesn't exist anymore. I have my beater blade and a slicer. For some of us that carry multiples, ( Doc), you can have a knife for all occasions! :D
Senate

Post by Senate »

For me it's any knife with the ball lock, caged or not, i can't close them one handed... :rolleyes:
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Senate wrote:For me it's any knife with the ball lock, caged or not, i can't close them one handed... :rolleyes:
Here you go.

[url=<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ffIbcgkoOss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ffIbcgkoOss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Unfortunately I can't get aroundto liking the Endura (no offense). My hand just can't get comfortable. Love the Delica 4, not so much the Endura 4. Tried the Endura (have the white sprint and a black frn) acouple of times but it seems to leave my pocket pretty quickly.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Committing heresy here too: For me I just can't quite love the Manix series. The C95 is just too large in my hands, and the regular Manix2 is just too heavy and wide, and the CBB lock is difficult to manage with arthritic thumb joints. The M2 sprints are an improvement on the weight side, but they are still wide and the CBB lock issue is still a problem for me.

DH on the other hand, is getting quite the Manix collection started! He loves it, it fits his big ol' paws, and now he wants the Moonglow Manix2...!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
yuanyelss

Post by yuanyelss »

The knife has a cool shape but I don't really care for s.s. models because of the weight . Weight is not a problem with this knife , it's the size ...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Spin....I so wanted to like that knife....oh well......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

I gotta say I'm shocked to hear such little love for the Caly. I guess mine are pretty blasphemous as well though....

Para 1
delica 4
Lava
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I like the police but my hands aren't big enough for it and I gave mine to a gigantic friend. The ocelot just never worked for me as mine was to tight and the pinned construction didn't allow me to loosen it. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Sage 1 despite it's quality.
cricket and spin. Too small. The spin bites me every time I take it out of the box it seems. I've said before I'm ham handed and no longer have great dexterity.

the Manix 2 despite the great lock and it's quality just doesn't fit my hand correctly. I tried to like this one because of it's features but it just isn't up to the ergonomic perfection I feel when I pick up my regulars. A lot of it is repetition and muscle memory but the first time I picked up a stretch 2 I knew it was mine!
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: I like the police but my hands aren't big enough for it and I gave mine to a gigantic friend.
I absolutely love the looks and style of the Police...especially the stainless version...it's timeless...but i have to agree, they're so long that i get the same issue i get with the Military, i have inches of handle sticking out the bottom of my hand and it drives me crazy. I have fairly large hands, but when something feels big in my hand it feels clumsy and reckless...it's hard to explain.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David