Ever thought of a Strider/Spyderco collab model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

unit wrote:The real question here (I think) is would you be interested in a knife that incorporates the "best" of both designers. Lets assume that the quality of the end product would meet the standards and requirements of both Spyderco and Strider.
Frankly, no. From a purely practical standpoint, it would have a wrong-handed lock, thick blade, "blocky" looking handle, and dissimilar sides. None of those are features I admire in a pocketknife. There are philosophical reasons as well. I will not elaborate on those here, but they are equal as important to me as the practical ones.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Deacon wrote:Then I guess you won't be buying the Spyderco Vallotton collaboration model.
There are only two mentions of vallotton on the message board, both by you. Either someone is misspelling it or you're the only one who knows about it, either way I have no idea.

If the lock relies on a post that is mounted to the blade, probably not.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I like the blade shape of the SNG and the 3/8" dia pivot pin, as well as framelocks. Will "IT" ever happen? Don't know, but you can bet the QC on the Spyderco version will be better.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:There are only two mentions of vallotton on the message board, both by you. Either someone is misspelling it or you're the only one who knows about it, either way I have no idea.

If the lock relies on a post that is mounted to the blade, probably not.
Someone is misspelling it. Here's a link to Butch Vallotton's website. Here's a link to a thread about it where, as far as I can see, it's spelled the same way I spelled it. First post in that thread contains a link to the YouTube video which shows the knife, among others.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

More or less, this thread seems to just be going down hill. Could someone please lock this thread?
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

No thanks on the Strider Collab. I'll pass.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

More or less, this thread seems to just be going down hill. Could someone please lock this thread?
Why?
That's a strange thing to say for someone who believes:
"Open mindedness should be mandatory for any place in the world".
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Frapiscide, as the starter of the thread, you have the power to close / lock this thread. Personally, I haven't seen anything that warrants such an action. Thread participants seem to be conducting discourse in a civil and non-hostile manner.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

The Mastiff wrote:Why?
That's a strange thing to say for someone who believes:
Well, it's because the thread seems to be going nowhere, everyone's expressed their opinions. I didn't mean to sound harsh if that's how you took it. I'll let it simmer.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Spyderco and Strider have completely different aesthetics. It doesn't surprise me at all that there isn't very much interest in such a collaboration. :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

My two cents, I will probably eventually wind up with an SMF one day but a collab is not for me.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

There seem to be a lot of questions concerning why some people feel so revolted by strider as a company, while others love them. If you really want to understand what is behind all this you need to see both sides. USN (usual suspects knife forum) is strider's home forum, and nowhere else on the internet that I am aware of can you see such gushing over strider's products. Conversely to understand the ethical reasons which turn so many of us off you should probably go to bladeforums and read a VERY long, and locked, thread detailing Mickey Ray Burger's military record as an army ranger.... or lack thereof. It also details his history as a convicted felon and a particular court order forcing him to cease falsely portraying himself.

As someone who has actually used striders and spydercos really I just want to reiterate my point:
Sal Glesser said something very pointed which I think describes the issue quite well "we would rather be the ugly knife in your pocket than the gorgeous one in your safe." The striders are, unsurprisingly, rather tough knives, although not as tough as you might think. The purely G10 side of them where the "thumbstud" impacts is in my experience a weak point which breaks down over time leading to an off center blade. This is especially an issue on the concealed carry models. Speaking of which the strider's fit and finish I always thought was lacking. Strider says that their knives aren't perfect and their blades are off center because they are hard use tools and you should "suck it up." If it were priced lower I might be able to see their point, but at that price point on what is essentially a "custom" production knife I'm sorry but I expect better. Finally then there is the actual blade itself. It is just far too thick, and the edge bevel is far too obtuse. The knife just isn't that sharp, and produces massive amounts of cutting resistance when going through stiff materials because of it. I'm sorry but its just not a great cutting implement. You sacrifice something when you try to blend a knife with a prybar, and you end up with the dullest knife you've ever carried or the sharpest prybar you've ever carried. Hard use doesn't mean hard to use, and it took me a lot of money to figure that out. You'll use a strider to cut corrugated cardboard for example and you'll start to think just how **** hard to cut cardboard is, and how much it wants to force the knife out of the material. Then one day in frustration you'll pick up something like a calypso (which I believe is really the iconic spyderco) and you'll just be stunned at how effortlessly you go through the cardboard and everything else. I'm sorry, but Mr. Glesser is just on the right track with this whole "knives made for cutting" thing.

In the strider's favor though I'll admit that the handle isn't nearly as uncomfortable as you would expect. Its no spyderco, thats for sure, but somehow that oddly shaped brick does work well enough to surprise you at least.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

hunterseeker5 wrote:There seem to be a lot of questions concerning why some people feel so revolted by strider as a company, while others love them. If you really want to understand what is behind all this you need to see both sides. USN (usual suspects knife forum) is strider's home forum, and nowhere else on the internet that I am aware of can you see such gushing over strider's products. Conversely to understand the ethical reasons which turn so many of us off you should probably go to bladeforums and read a VERY long, and locked, thread detailing Mickey Ray Burger's military record as an army ranger.... or lack thereof. It also details his history as a convicted felon and a particular court order forcing him to cease falsely portraying himself.

As someone who has actually used striders and spydercos really I just want to reiterate my point:
Sal Glesser said something very pointed which I think describes the issue quite well "we would rather be the ugly knife in your pocket than the gorgeous one in your safe." The striders are, unsurprisingly, rather tough knives, although not as tough as you might think. The purely G10 side of them where the "thumbstud" impacts is in my experience a weak point which breaks down over time leading to an off center blade. This is especially an issue on the concealed carry models. Speaking of which the strider's fit and finish I always thought was lacking. Strider says that their knives aren't perfect and their blades are off center because they are hard use tools and you should "suck it up." If it were priced lower I might be able to see their point, but at that price point on what is essentially a "custom" production knife I'm sorry but I expect better. Finally then there is the actual blade itself. It is just far too thick, and the edge bevel is far too obtuse. The knife just isn't that sharp, and produces massive amounts of cutting resistance when going through stiff materials because of it. I'm sorry but its just not a great cutting implement. You sacrifice something when you try to blend a knife with a prybar, and you end up with the dullest knife you've ever carried or the sharpest prybar you've ever carried. Hard use doesn't mean hard to use, and it took me a lot of money to figure that out. You'll use a strider to cut corrugated cardboard for example and you'll start to think just how **** hard to cut cardboard is, and how much it wants to force the knife out of the material. Then one day in frustration you'll pick up something like a calypso (which I believe is really the iconic spyderco) and you'll just be stunned at how effortlessly you go through the cardboard and everything else. I'm sorry, but Mr. Glesser is just on the right track with this whole "knives made for cutting" thing.

In the strider's favor though I'll admit that the handle isn't nearly as uncomfortable as you would expect. Its no spyderco, thats for sure, but somehow that oddly shaped brick does work well enough to surprise you at least.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)
v8r

Post by v8r »

Blerv wrote:Can't wait for the TUF. Maybe then people will be like, "I wish they made a Stryder like the TUF." Lol.
It sounds like Ed is trying to make it perfect before it is released which in my opinion is a good thing.

I don't know much about Striders other then the few I have handled, and they seem to be very well made. I have never personally owned one so I can't vouch for their customer service. I have been a Spyderco user/fan for a long time, and have always been treated fairly when I have had a issue with a knife. I have owned many Spydies and not had all that many problems, so if it ain't broke why fix it?

I know Strider has the reputation for building knives that can take extreme punishment, and I believe that is why there are some that would like a collaboration. With all that said I am going to wait for the Tuff. It is funky cool, and that is what I like about Spydercos.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Deacon wrote:Someone is misspelling it. Here's a link to Butch Vallotton's website. Here's a link to a thread about it where, as far as I can see, it's spelled the same way I spelled it. First post in that thread contains a link to the YouTube video which shows the knife, among others.
That's weird, now when I search I get a bunch of results.

I did see that video before, it is slightly interesting. I am more interested in the polished G-10 than the knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
zvir

Post by zvir »

Spyderco and Strider are definitely different universes.
I won't buy neither Spyder nor Striderco :)
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

To paraphrase Col. Sherman T. Potter of M*A*S*H, I consider the two companies are like rectal thermometers and spark plugs. Useful, but hardly interchangeable.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Speaking solely about knives and not personalities, I've owned and used several different models of Strider folders. IMAO, there is nothing Strider could bring to the table that would be a benefit to Spyderco.

I would also pass on this collab.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

One of my favorite knife design philosophies meets one of my least fave. There's always the possibility of a real surprise, I judge things on the merits once it's over. But this isn't a collab I'd have high hopes for... though I realize there are a lot of people for whom this would be a dream...
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

What an interesting and useful thread :D . Hunterseeker I found your post to be informative, unbiased and logical. I was seriously looking to grab a strider - mostly because every other high end collector seems to have several. After carefully considering all posts in this thread I am going to steer clear. It makes me realise how good some folders are for a third of the price of an AR Tiger Folder. Its a little sad as I love the look of strider - but if the fit and finish and design flaws are anything do go by with peoples descriptions - there are plenty of other brands out there. Perhaps a good hard use folder would be Zero Tolerance? I have heard good things about their gear. Regardless of politics - design flaws and bad production are a big no go for me.

Thanks guys for not letting this thread get locked - you just saved me $600 AU.