Knife Identification

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BAS

Knife Identification

Post by BAS »

Can anyone help with the identification of this knife. It has a belt clip, a serrated blade made of G-2 Stainless and was manufactured in Seki City, Japan. The blade length is 2 15/16 inches long, Overall length is 6 3/4 inches. It has a back lock. I tried to upload a scan from my printer but is about 8 times bigger than the site allows.

Thanks.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Just curious, what type of handle does it have? For example, stainless, G-10, etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I'm going to go with delica molded clip. we can't know until we see pictures but the dimensions are pretty close
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you're on a Windows PC, you can open the picture you scanned in Paint, then select IMAGE > RESIZE/SKEW from the menu and resize it to 10% both horizontal and vertical. That should be small enough to attach. Most Spyderco knives have pocket/belt clips and many of the older ones were made in Seki City and used G-2 (GIN-1) steel. If the clip is molded on the handle, it's probably a Delica, but a picture would definitely help.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

Is the G2 Delica/Endura with the molded clip the 1 series or the 2?
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Tsujigiri wrote:Is the G2 Delica/Endura with the molded clip the 1 series or the 2?
With the molded clip, it should be series 1. Most of the models that Spyderco makes are made with stainless steel handles for the second series. Then they go back to FRN, G-10, etc., for the handle material.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Tsujigiri wrote:Is the G2 Delica/Endura with the molded clip the 1 series or the 2?
FRN with molded clip = 1st generation (unofficial)

All SS with 1 or 2 position RH only clip = Delica 2 / Endura 2 (official)

FRN with steel "barrel bolt" clip = 3rd generation (unofficial)

FRN with nested liners and 4 way clip and all SS with 4 way clip = Delica 4 / Endura 4 (official)

If the knife BAS has is a Delica, it would be a 1st generation. No other version of the Delica ever used GIN-1/G-2.
Paul
BAS

Post by BAS »

Thanks to all for the replys. I am on a Mac computer and quite honestly don't know how to resize the .pdf file that I have. It sounds, from the reply by The Deacon, that it is probably a 1st generation as I believe that the handle is FRN and the clip is molded and pinned onto the body. The clip bail almost resembles a paperclip. Molded into the clip is "US Foreign Patents". Given that this information matches the 1st generation Delica/Endura, what year would it have been produced, what would the Spyderco number have been and what would it originally have cost?
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

The Deacon wrote:FRN with molded clip = 1st generation (unofficial)

All SS with 1 or 2 position RH only clip = Delica 2 / Endura 2 (official)

FRN with steel "barrel bolt" clip = 3rd generation (unofficial)

FRN with nested liners and 4 way clip and all SS with 4 way clip = Delica 4 / Endura 4 (official)

If the knife BAS has is a Delica, it would be a 1st generation. No other version of the Delica ever used GIN-1/G-2.
Thanks! So I guess they started with AUS-8 in the first generation and then moved on to G2? I think I recall seeing both blade steels.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

BAS wrote:Thanks to all for the replys. I am on a Mac computer and quite honestly don't know how to resize the .pdf file that I have. It sounds, from the reply by The Deacon, that it is probably a 1st generation as I believe that the handle is FRN and the clip is molded and pinned onto the body. The clip bail almost resembles a paperclip. Molded into the clip is "US Foreign Patents". Given that this information matches the 1st generation Delica/Endura, what year would it have been produced, what would the Spyderco number have been and what would it originally have cost?
Paperclip reference makes me think it's probably a SnapIt.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
rycen

Post by rycen »

Tsujigiri wrote:Thanks! So I guess they started with AUS-8 in the first generation and then moved on to G2? I think I recall seeing both blade steels.
The first "first" gen had unmarked blade steel.

Unmarked=G2 AKA GIN-1
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
BAS

Post by BAS »

The Deacon wrote:Paperclip reference makes me think it's probably a SnapIt.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
That is the knife but my case is completely black. Do you know the timeframe and approximate cost for a Black SnapIt.

Thanks.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SnapIt was introduced in '93 and, thanks to AG Russell is still being produced today. The G-2 steel marking mean yours is a fairly early specimen. MSRP back then was $56. AG Russell currently sells the red ones in VG-10 for $70
Paul
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

rycen wrote:The first "first" gen had unmarked blade steel.

Unmarked=G2 AKA GIN-1
So the ones that say G2 on the blade are first generation, but just after the ones that didn't have any marking on the blade?

Sorry, this is confusing...
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Correct.

Very first ones = no marking, but G2
after that = still G2 and with the marking

if you find a blade marked GIN-1 - it's the same steel, just named different, IIRC.

The D/E2s were AUS-6 (mine is!)
The D/E3s I own came with AUS-8, but maybe the earliest ones had an "older" steel.

I suppose VG-10 was introduced shortly before the gen4 came out, there may be some gen3 D/E's that already have VG-10. I think at least some waved Forum knife Endura3 featured VG-10.

Let's see what the gen5 will use :D

Dennis
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

Thanks for the history lesson! The Delica/Endura really has come a long way. Hopefully the next gen gets a wire clip, but it'll be hard to improve on the FFG one they have now.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Tsujigiri wrote:Thanks for the history lesson! The Delica/Endura really has come a long way. Hopefully the next gen gets a wire clip, but it'll be hard to improve on the FFG one they have now.
Just for clarity, the Snap-it was a separate, unrelated model from the E4/D4.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
AZ123456

Us border patrol spyderco g2 Seki-city

Post by AZ123456 »

ii was wondering if anybody could help me, I was given a spyderco g2 stainless seki city knife. that says clipit endura on the front of the handle and on the back clip it says "us and foreign patents" and also on the blade it has a circle with the a silhouette of the continental US inside of it with US border patrol over the top of the silhouette. I wanted to know if any body could give me an approximate value of it, or atleast they're best guess?
AZ123456

the us border patrol spyderco g2 seki-city pictures

Post by AZ123456 »

the pictures
Attachments
DSC00423.jpg
DSC00423.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 8699 times
DSC00422.jpg
DSC00422.jpg (21.56 KiB) Viewed 8745 times
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IIRC, those were done by John F Jensen, a Spyderco distributor who did similar knives for a number of government agencies. Some were intended for agency use, others for sale in the agency's gift shop. Value would probably be comparable to that of any FRN Endura of that vintage. Not sure what that is right now, rough guess would be somewhere under $50.
Paul