Only one...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackthedog

Only one...

Post by jackthedog »

No, this isn't an "only one" Spyderco/end-of-the-world thread. :D

In my collection, I have only plain edged blades. I just prefer them to SE and CE blades, both for the sake of looks and, for my usage, functionality. That said, I was recently thinking about adding one SpyderEdge knife to my collection and was wondering what people around here used and preferred.

Ideally, I wouldn't want to spend a ton because I'd just be adding the one knife. I was thinking perhaps a Tenacious or maybe used Endura or Delica from BF or CPF Marketplace. Anyway, just curious if anyone had any recommendations.

Thanks!
v8r

Post by v8r »

Mariner H1
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Funny, ,, I was having the exact dilemma myself just a few weeks ago. I opted for a Manix2.
spyderfan123

Post by spyderfan123 »

cricket SE
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

SQSAR wrote:Funny, ,, I was having the exact dilemma myself just a few weeks ago. I opted for a Manix2.
The Manix is my favorite of the Spyderco line, so maybe I'll keep an eye out for a used version.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SE- Spyderhawk, CE- Caspian Salt. IMHO the best hawkbill is SE and diving knife CE.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
araneae

Post by araneae »

Dragonfly, Native or Salt 1.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I say Spyderhawk or Cricket.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
catamount

Post by catamount »

Dragonfly 2 or Stretch.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

Simple buy the Military. The Best SE model there is and now discontinued :mad:

This is the SE I use!
...oh you know why!
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Stretch SE
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Rescue or Cricket
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

gunnut35 wrote:Stretch SE
I second the Stretch SE - it is a good alround knife, with a great design. Plus you can get them relatively cheaply if you shop around.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Endura SE...Plenty of knife..will last a lifetime....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Thanks everyone. Hadn't thought of the Salt.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

In case you didn't know, H-1 (the steel in the Salt series) is work hardened, and therefore spyderedge H-1 holds an amazing edge due to the extra machining that goes into making the serrations. According to Sal, in the tests they do, it outperforms S90v and ZDP-189 in terms of edge retention, and is still very tough and an very unlikely to chip. That's why I choose SE for any Salt knives I buy, although so far I only have one (Ladybug Salt, just to try out H-1 and SE), but I plan on buying more for sure. I really like the serrations, especially on a little knife--for stuff like cutting rope or paracord, the spyderedge give you some serious cutting power! The Ladybug Salt has served me well, and for $25-30, it's a real bargain.

I'll definitely be buying more SE spydies in the future...probably a Salt 1, and/or Atlantic Salt next. The Atlantic Salt intrigues me because it looks like it has a really nice ergonomic handle, a good 50/50 choil, and serrations the entire length of the edge--however, I've never tried out a sheepsfoot blade, but that could be a good one to start out with.
Teddy Thompson

Post by Teddy Thompson »

Couple ways you could go. One would be the Stretch. It's a great knife and the discontinued VG-10/SE version can be found pretty cheap right now. Another would be the Tasman or Spyderhawk Salt. Serrations and hawkbill blades go well together. My final suggestion would be one of the sheepsfoot rescue blades. Good thing to have, and one of the more iconic combinations given that the Mariner was the first Spyderco to grow teeth.
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Salt 1 SE. I'm the same as you, but at work I open a lot of packaging, cut banding, and a lot of cardboard, and SE works great for cardboard. The H1 serrations hold up amazingly long. I've used the Tasman too, but the Salt 1 works way better. It's also very light and strong, so there's my endorsement for a great choice.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Why not choose a serrated model that's really close to a preferred EDC PE spydie you have? Years ago I tested my trusty PE Delica to a full SE Delica. It opened my eyes. Pick the one that's closest to a folder you already have and like. That way you can test the teeth out best.

Nowadays, I find that SE add more cutting power and edgeholding to small knives (Ladybug/Jester) and H1 knives (Salt 1, Aqua Salt). My favorite full size SE folder is the R2, followed by my Manix 2 and Rescue jr. models.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

SE Milli all the way - amazing cutter.