Smaller Manix style knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
manixman

Smaller Manix style knife

Post by manixman »

Hello, I love my Manix 2 but sometimes I wish I had the same knife only about 1/2 the size. I'm no expert on spyderco's and maybe there is a knife out there already like this. The main things I like about my Manix 2 is the CTS-XHP steel, ease of opening closing, flat ground clip point blade, and overall heft and solidness of the knife. Since you guys are experts I figured I would ask here. I'm ok with most steels but def prefer a higher end super steel. Thanks in advance.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Closest thing right now to a smaller Manix 2 would be the Sage 3. The Kopa, while somewhat fancier, would have been closest to the original C105 Manix and closer to being half the size. Not sure if, or how well, the caged ball lock would scale down that far.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I had a Manix 2 XHP and now have a Sage 3. I'd have to agree with Deacon that the Sage 3 is a smaller, more EDC friendly Manix 2. The locks and geometry are all similar.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Agreed,, the Sage 3 is very much what you have described.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Pretty sure the knife can't get any narrower than it is, the ball lock needs certain amount of space above pivot to implement. Which is why all the original ball lock knife are so wide, and I believe one of the reasons spyderco has gone with caged ball lock instead of naked ball.
firebert

Post by firebert »

it's called the sage 3 :spyder:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:Closest thing right now to a smaller Manix 2 would be the Sage 3. The Kopa, while somewhat fancier, would have been closest to the original C105 Manix and closer to being half the size. Not sure if, or how well, the caged ball lock would scale down that far.
Took the words right out of my...keyboard. The Sage 3 has FFG leaf blade, reversible clip, and the piece that unlocks the lock is not too dissimilar to the cage on the Manix 2.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Follow this link to another thread in the photos section that just so happens to have a picture of a Manix2 and a Sage3 right next to one another: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post647077
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

SQSAR wrote:Follow this link to another thread in the photos section that just so happens to have a picture of a Manix2 and a Sage3 right next to one another: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post647077
Or see below - excellent illustration. Man, the lanyard tube on the Manix 2 is big. You could almost put the Sage inside it... ;)
firebert wrote:Lets see em, wish I had the blue manix, missed out on it, orange will have to do, DOH.