Spyderco's with non-knife implements

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

b-elliott wrote:How about a slipit that has a hole drilled through the handles, liners, and blade so it could be locked into place with ball detent pin. Something where you could leave the pin at home an and use the knife as a slipit, or carry the pin and insert if you would be using the knife / prybar for and extended period of time to make it a locking folder?? Obviously not as continent as conventional locking knives, but versatility in different legal areas. Think the pin on a hand grenade? :eek:
That is a really cool idea, and the pin could be snapped to a receptacle on your keychain.

- best wishes, Jazz.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

How about more genius tools like this one. I don't go a day at work without using it, and I have purchased one for each of the facilities techs at the company as well. They love the well thought out design and easy of use.Image
amen74

Post by amen74 »

That SpydeRench does indeed look to be a very useful tool.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

I would like to see a punch/awl/marlinespike :)
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Sal,

I did a survey of the tools commonly available on a SAK, and put together a list of those tools that I thought would have the most value.

I also designed a combo tool that I think could have some real value, multi-use.

Anyway, I don't have that stuff on hand, but if you want I would share it with you. mdpoff@yahoo.com

But, as a basic rule, one of the most commonly appreciated tools on the BladeForums Wildernerss Skills and Survival Forum is the Vic Farmer, and the One Hand Trekker has a great many fans, of which I am one.
Marion David Poff
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

The most useful item for trekking, would be a blade with a locking saw and a can opener. But then you would be competing with Victorinox, which may not be a good idea.

Personally, I would love a Spyderco FRN pen, with a small spyder badge on the clip and a Fischer Space Pen refill. Tough, not expensive yet reliable.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Marion,

I'l chase them down.

Hi percival,

Isn't Victornix coming into our territory with one handers with clips?

sal
SpaceInvader

Post by SpaceInvader »

Resurrecting this thread -- how about a Spyderco traveler's knife/fork set? Bring back something like the old paring knife, add a fork, and bundle them in a nice case.

Not an all-in-one hobo, or spork, or cheapo set like you can buy at a camping store, but a set befitting the Spyderco logo. Boker makes a nice set like this.

I was looking at custom maker Charles Sauer's web site, he makes a cool looking set w/leather case. Perhaps Meyerco. who has done some of his designs, will do that. Or maybe Spyderco could. Here's a link to his site, look down towards the bottom on the left:

http://www.sauerknives.com/gallery.shtml

-Rick
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

SpaceInvader wrote:Resurrecting this thread -- how about a Spyderco traveler's knife/fork set? Bring back something like the old paring knife, add a fork, and bundle them in a nice case.

Not an all-in-one hobo, or spork, or cheapo set like you can buy at a camping store, but a set befitting the Spyderco logo. Boker makes a nice set like this.

I was looking at custom maker Charles Sauer's web site, he makes a cool looking set w/leather case. Perhaps Meyerco. who has done some of his designs, will do that. Or maybe Spyderco could. Here's a link to his site, look down towards the bottom on the left:

http://www.sauerknives.com/gallery.shtml

-Rick
I gotta say, I'm not sure if the market would be there for fancy Spydie travel silverware. But I think most all of us might have a use for a nice (but not too expensive) Spydie pen!

On a side note, I'd even be interested in a Spydie rendition of an Atwood pry tool (only in a much cheaper production version, of course).
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Mini-dyad with an awl.
SpaceInvader

Post by SpaceInvader »

If Spyderco were to consider a non-knife tool or piece of gear, it would seem risky to stray too far from their expertise in knife design and production. So I would think a blade must be part of it. There is a wide variety of Atwood-inspired tools now available, and the tactical pen market is also crowded. Spyderco seems busy enough bringing out great knife designs and sprints without joining either of those with a me-too product.

A hybrid product or whatever you call it might be worth the development risk if it could attract a mass of new ELUs into the Spyderco web, especially people not (yet) into knives. :) So it would seem desirable that along with a blade, the non-knife portion has mass appeal to non-knifenuts. A travel silverware set could be of high quality without being fancy, and the travel products market seems like a big enough target to justify the effort.

-Rick
scout

Post by scout »

Mountain Man beat my post. My GF says that if they do scissors, they should call them "Snip-its". :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've always thought that it would be great if Spyderco came out with an Atlantic Salt with a Marlinspike. I've got a couple of sheepfoot mariner's knives - and I use Marlinspikes quite a bit in my knot tying and Boy Scout orienteering work.

Having a Spyderco version of this venerable style in H1, lightweight FRN handle, bale, and substantial marlinspike - would be fantastic!

TedP

Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Linguini3

Post by Linguini3 »

would really like a pry bar seeing as how my spydies can handle just about everything else :p
"Trance is centralized around the idea of capturing a moment in time, It's an art."

My Spydies- Millie (Digicam, Black Blade), Orange Manix 2 Sprint, P'kal, SpyderHawk Salt SE
Pro-V

Post by Pro-V »

I love this concept, but agree that a swiss army multi folder doesn't feel right. I have also been admiring the Atwood tools, and what makes them so great is the simplicity of them, and the efficiency of using every bit of a small piece of steel. I spent a bit of time trying to figure out if I could grind a bottle opener from the space around the lanyard hole on an old, well-used SS Spydie (having opened many a bottle with other parts of the knife over the years). I would like to see tools integrated into the design of a Spyderco knife, not a Spyderco multi-tool. I would start with integrating a bottle opener, and then possibly add a hex bit holder into the base of the handle (in place of the carbide tip of the Assist). Finally, a small pry tool might be integrated into the back of the blade so that it could be used with the knife closed (at first glance, I thought that was what the protrusion on the Gunting blade was for).
canallabites

Post by canallabites »

Spyderco SAK... Spyderco GCAK (Golden Colorado Army Knife), sounds good for me
marknett

Post by marknett »

how about a Spyderco folding utility knife (boxcutter) . Set it up for quick change on the razor blades and with a nice custom grip ..... Don't forget the spydie hole
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

tap wrote:I have no intrest in a Boy Scout knife or a SAK or a multi tool. Even if I was interested in those things, there are already so many choices that it is hard to imagine what I might want or need that isn't already out there. I will think about what type of flip out dodad I might like to EDC.
I do have an interest in the "other than knife" things but I agree with tap that almost everything conceivable is already available. Unless you can come up with a knife with a fully functional battery operated circular saw. :D I think Spyderco had the best idea ever with the Spydyrench. If you had need of a very small tool set without a tool belt/pouch or a tool box here's the answer. A good multi-tool (I like SOG PowerLock) w/needlenose pliers AND the Spyderench because of the adjustable pliers and being able to use ANY standard screwdriver bit you want to carry with the tool (up to 4 bits). I have carried both at the same time before and had most tools for unexpected needs that come up. I used to work on communication equipment and SOG even has a multi-tool designed for the "wiring guy".

Like tap said, unless we can come up with something new I don't see why Spyderco would bother with it. But if they did I'd gladly check it out because I believe it would be good quality no matter what it is.

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: Have you seen the price Mr. Atwood gets for his Lil' keychain prybars!? :eek: I'd Love! to see my beloved Spyderco show 'em how to do it right for an affordable price for a doable useful tool! ;) :spyder:
PockettoolX is doing that already. Wonderful solution to an expensive problem.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

The thing that i would love to see, is a screwdriver. A philips head and slot all in one. I have a big collection of SAK's and multitools and i use the screwdriver on them more then anything else.