To whom it may concern...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DAYWALKER

To whom it may concern...

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL,
First of all, let me thank some good knife bro’s for allowing me to get back online via “Satellite”…(You guys know who you are!)

Just a bit of a sitrep of sorts, because I really don’t know where to start:
Rewind to November of 2009. A major facility shuts down here causing a bump effect at my place of employ. They called it a rift, I call it a bunch of BS. A lot of less senior officers had to find jobs elsewhere, off island, etc because of it. Lost a bunch of great officers when this happened, but we gained a few good officers from the closed facility. One in particular, whom I will refer to as “TDK” turned out to be a knife freak like me. Fast forward to May of last year. TDK and I became close friends, yet he had a hard time, like most of the other officers who had enough seniority to stay at “my” facility, dealing with the change of scenery. After 19 years, he felt like a rookie. Long story short, he drank away his troubles which led to a 3rd DUI. Now he has no vehicle, no license…I got him enrolled in a substance abuse class which he has passed, and have been his only means of transportation to doctor appointments, court, wherever. He may have to do time…not good.I have been “carrying” TDK for sometime now, and sometimes the burden is heavy.He lives pretty far from me, so taking him about, juggling my family time, etc has not been easy. He almost died on me once as I rushed him to the ER…I have just been mentally exhausted.

A few days ago, one of my classmates during Basic Corrections Training passed away. A Sgt. Just a few weeks prior to her…cripes.

Daughter has a “boyfriend”…knew this day would come, but not so soon…especially not now. Got into a car accident last year as well, thanks to a student jay walking in front of the car I was following…Ugh.

A lot of other dramas, but the bulk of it has been carrying TDK. Peers are like, “You STILL taking care of him? Why?” Answer is simple: He’d do it for me. Good heart this TDK has, and he would literally give you the shirt off his back if you asked.

So anyway, also wanted to thank folks for their emails regarding my knife designs and such. I got a few more going with Boker, and let me just say it now: “Surprise”. (You’ll see.)

Will try to “stay in touch”, I have been out of the loop for too long. Got a lot of catching up to do…not just within the knife world, but with some great knife broz as well. Missed you guys, catch ya later.

God bless and mahalo much!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Welcome back cousin Chad :)

I have been missing your company but enjoying the packages you have been sending me. I have to send you something in return bro.

Looks like you've been a busy new with life in all it's splendour :p

Take care cuz, email me cos we have a lot of catching up to do.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
rycen

Post by rycen »

Chad

That is some crazy stuff! It is always good to hear from you.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Chad good to hear from you...If there is anything I can do to help out just drop me a note.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Been out of the loop here for a bit, but still good to hear from you Chad. Hope this coming year isn't as stressful for you!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

ceya

Post by ceya »

Hey there Bro,

If I can hang in there and come back on here so can you.

Am I my brother's keeper? I say YES.

I have done it for my fellow vets and my Marines and Sailors, even when Im at my low point.

Just as you said if you need something and he was there, he would do it for you.

S/F,
CEYA!
The Three Amigos
Ceya, DayWalker and Dialex
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
Tank

Post by Tank »

Hey Chad, Nice to see you back brother. Sounds like you've has a full crazy plate. TDK is lucky to have a good friend like you. Hope to see you more often and looking forward to the new designs too.
-John
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Hey, he's alive!

welcome back Chad, glad you could poke your head in here.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Wow that was one **** of a story. I really wish you the best.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Chad, stay safe and stay strong. I am sure you will pull through.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!

Post by 224477 »

Hi Chad, great to see ya kickin again!
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Ay Chad! Glad that you are still battling bro! You know where your reward awaits! Keeping you in my prayers. Take care and God Bless! ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hi Chad, good to know you're still hanging in there and have some new projects in the works. Sorry to hear of the situation with your friend, hope he manages to keep himself clean.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Take care, Chad and keep doing what you do. You're an awesome guy.

- best wishes, Jazz.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Dear Chad,
I was wondering what's going on with you, so thank you for this sitrep. Difficult times indeed, but at least you and your familly are ok and I'm sure your cats are still happy. ;)
It seems that 2010 was a tough year and who knows if this one will be better. We will keep you and yours in our prayers. Bet wishes to your colleague and good luck with your knives, I am looking forward to seeing the surprise :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

Welcome back Chad,

Life is never easy, at least for most people its not. Keep your morale high mate, you have a lot of people world-wide who respect you not just for your knife designs...........

Regards,

BRIAN
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Chad,

Hang in there man, things will get better. You are truly an amazing person to be taking care of him like that. I know how you feel with the job thing... I may have to go to the mainland in June to hold my job.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I understand your urge to help your friend. From the other side of things, I can tell you from my personal experience that the best thing that my friends and family did for me when I was a complete mess was to say "I love you. Let me know when you are ready to do absolutely anything to quit drinking, drugging or etc." For addicts like me, the ONLY thing that motivated change was pain--my life had to be so bad that Alcoholics Anonymous looked good--and anything anybody did to help me feel the pain of my screw-ups--to bear the full consequences of my actions-- was the absolute best thing they could do for me--i.e., let me lose car, home, job, respect of friends and peers, spend LOTS of nights or weekends in jail, miss court dates, etc, etc,..

I know some sober folks on Maui and Lanai (all 6 of them!). Don't know much about recovery on the other islands.
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

Hey Chad, Hopefully you'll receive some much deserved karma points. Good luck man!
gac

Post by gac »

Good luck and thanks for the update.