Who here gets up at six o'clock in the morning

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Who here gets up at six o'clock in the morning

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

to push a little white ball around. Only played the game of golf twice in my life.
My son loves the game but then again he's an attorney. My first time I really didn't know what I was doing, (no instruction) Shot an 82 for 18 holes....My friends said that was beginners luck and took me to another supposedly harder course where I shot an 80 for 18 holes....Still didn't know what I was doing...but it did seem to depress all my friends for quite some time who couldn't break 100. When I say I didn't know what I was doing, I really mean it!
My strategy was to use a 7 iron for most of the course, just because that seemed right....and when I putted I used a Driver (which I know you are not posed to do) but It made perfect sense to me to have as much club face as possible making contact with the ball, as I hit it in the little cup. I couldn't say it was much fun for me either. Hit the ball and then walk to find it...... over heavily sprayed pesticide grasslands, stopping every once in a while looking into small polluted watering holes, wondering if they ate your ball. Oh and then there's the desert...I think they are called sand traps....I figure If I want to walk through sand traps I'd go to Egypt, at least I could take in a view of the Pyramids. I did enjoy yelling FOUR, every time I hit the ball, which seemed to annoy a lot of people (What's wrong with these people, it's a game No?) And I thought the ball washing thingy was cool. My son wanted to get me a set of clubs but I told him to forget it, all I need is a driver and #7 club, the others are a waste of good money :eek: ....None of my friends want me to go play with them anymore anyway.... :o . One of my friends said the only reason I scored better than everyone was because of my hand/eye coordination skills from years of Martial Arts Training....hmmm could be...I don't know...oh they won't let me play tennis with them either...seems like no one can return my serve and basketball is out because they say I don't play fair and don't know the rules cause I always manage to steal the basketball by quickly hitting their hands that are bouncing the ball....what? isn't there a defanging the snake technique in basketball. And why would anyone want to sit in front of the TV and watch a Superbowl, I don't like hockey so I'm not gonna do it...Oh well...I guess I hate sports....I guess when you work-out as much as I do...when it comes to my free time the last thing I want to do is move around a lot! Meditation suits me just fine....nothing like contemplating your navel for excitement. So tell me why do you get up at six o'clock in the morning to push a little white ball around. Don't tell me you need to wash your balls either...you could do that at home :p ......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Seems Doc has an unfair advantage on the field. By unfair i mean he could probably take any one out of the game if he wanted to... Hey Doc how are you at computer games? :)
thewannabesurvivalist
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

HellHound wrote:Seems Doc has an unfair advantage on the field. By unfair i mean he could probably take any one out of the game if he wanted to... Hey Doc how are you at computer games? :)
Pretty good Hellhound....I just hacked into your puter....and transferred all your monies to the "Save a Spyderco Knife Foundation" ....Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Golf, right, I know that game, played around with it a few times. The most fun is to hit the trunk of a big tree on the course with the ball, ball goes off at crazy angle, no one is impressed. I just love to allways call the bats used for golf, bats. Someone allways corrects this improper terminology, so serious that mob. I have played the whole course with just the driving bat, no bat cart or whatever it is & beat them. Its a mental thing, they cannot see past the driver & my irreverance for the ancient & hallowed game & their game falls apart. Then they get angry & blame me :confused: what ? 19 th hole is good, spend a few hours playing that one.
Doc, do the Happy Gilmore tee off. I assure you they will love it, not :D
O.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've been an early riser all my life, but the closest I've ever come to doing it for golf was when I was a teenager and caddied. That was enough to cure me of any desire to play the game.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've played golf a little. The nice things about it are: there is no rush, it's not hard work, and it does eat up some of your time.

If you have a lot of extra time and don't like to work hard, it is the perfect sport. Even people with somewhat bad injuries can play golf.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

My father was a golfer. My mother had one of those stories told over and over. Dad was supposed to get up at 6am on a Saturday to golf with friends. The alarm went off. He looked out the window at 4" of snow. He said only an idiot would golf today and went back to bed. 30 minutes later the phone rang and his friends asked where he was. He said I'll be there in 10 minutes. :)

Jack
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Donut wrote:I've played golf a little. The nice things about it are: there is no rush, it's not hard work, and it does eat up some of your time.

If you have a lot of extra time and don't like to work hard, it is the perfect sport. Even people with somewhat bad injuries can play golf.
You are right....the 4 some playing in front of us seemed to be brain dead....Doc :D

HellHound

Post by HellHound »

I always thought golf was just an excuse to get hammered early in the morning,you know game of golf a bottle of bear or vodka... :D
thewannabesurvivalist
zed4130

Post by zed4130 »

I get up around 5am every day as sadly have children that are early risers, but ive always loved getting up very early and going on bike rides, there is nothing like hitting the trail at around 6am, no one around and very quit, but ive only ever played golf once and wasnt for me, mainly because im rubbish at it lol,

paul
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

With my shoulder I can't golf (****, I can't do much more than go biking and even that hurts if I go long enough).

I'm up at 0430 during the week, and out the door into traffic at 0545... come the weekend I'm up closer to noon.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

When I was a teen I used to play with my grandfather.

Then later as a business thing I would go to some sponsored golf events that featured attractive women driving gold carts that had been converted to portable bars.

Haven't played for many years but have fond memories of my "golfing days".
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I live directly across the street from a golf course. Unfortunately, it is my observation that 99% of the golfing community are a bunch of stuck up A-holes, but i'm sure there are lots of exceptions to that. It's a shame too because even though i don't have any interest in playing, i have a lot of respect for golf because i admire the skill it takes to be good at it. I can watch the pros on TV all day long.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

I love golf. I could play it everyday if I had the funds, that and if I didn't have to go to class everyday :rolleyes: .

Doc, I can't believe you shot low 80's your first two rounds, that's unreal. I've been playing for about 10 years and I shoot mid 80's. 7 iron is the best club in the bag.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Donut

Post by Donut »

HellHound wrote:I always thought golf was just an excuse to get hammered early in the morning,you know game of golf a bottle of bear or vodka... :D
Since when did they start bottling bears? :eek:

:D
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Donut wrote:Since when did they start bottling bears? :eek:

:D
Ever since drunk people began singing "100 bottles of bears on the wall" 100 bottles of bears, if one of those bottles should happen to claw, leave the 99 other bottles of bears on the wall, 99 Bottles of bears on the wall, 99 bottles of bears, if one of those bottles should happen to roar, leave the other 98 bottles of bears on the wall"
FWIW: My Favorite bear is called "Paws Light"
Doc :D
and lets not forget Grizzly Bear
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... zzlyad.jpg[/img][/IMG]

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

And lets not forget that bears love to play golf
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... ages-2.jpg[/img][/IMG]
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... ages-3.jpg[/img][/IMG]
Doc :D

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Never could get into golf.

I did clock out of work at 7AM this morning though, if that counts.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jeep45238 wrote:Never could get into golf.

I did clock out of work at 7AM this morning though, if that counts.
Same here...and when the weather gets nicer i'll drive by a bunch of early birds playing in the dew and fog. I can't really say much though because i'll be standing on the side of a lake fishing at the same hours :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
flemingstuart

Post by flemingstuart »

Hey I am looking for someone to go on date, I am very lonely these days and want to have a friend with whom I can share my feelings and things. So please suggest any online dating website which is effective and reliable.

philadelphia dating