Australian Knife Laws

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
buglerbilly

Australian Knife Laws

Post by buglerbilly »

It would be appreciated if members here could spare me a moment or two.

Specifically, I wish to clarify the current situation with regards to Knife Laws within Australia and its dominions.

There have been no actual, and no current forecast identified, changes to the common law with regards to knife ownership and/or carry. There are minor variations between one State to another with regards to types of knives that can be owned etc, but generally the Law is common.

The current difficulties that are occuring for certain Dealers has been instigated by Australian Customs (mis)interpretation of the definition of what is, or is not, a "flick" knife..........the fact the affected Parties have struggled to resolve this possibly says more about their ineffectiveness and the ineffectiveness of their Lawyer(s) than it does about the validity or not of the argument.

This "dispute" is centred on the States of Queensland and New South Wales specifically NOT on Australia as a whole. I'm in Western Australia.

As is well known around here, I'm an avid (some say fanatic? ;) collector of Spyderco knives, and as such, get frequent shipments each year.

As such, I expect and get 95+% of my shipments opened by Customs irrespective of the shipment method chosen, i.e. US Postal Service, Courier company or Other. The only thing I have been asked by Customs is clarification of descriptions of the knives shipped and I, commonly, use the Spyderco website and links to do so without problem or retention of that knife or knives.

Please, oh please people do NOT say the Law is changing. ONE Government department in a two States has taken an inconsistent line (they don't even apply it in EVERY case) with regards to interpretation.

Law Change is Urban Myth NOT reality and Customs in the noted States should be brought to Court on that basis. Even their written interpretation one of my compatriots received I have no problem with and could easily, I believe, be argued in Court as to definition and applicability.

My blood pressure increases unacceptably over supposed "truth" that is in fact "myth".

Let me reinforce one last thing, Customs in any country, applies the Law. It doesn't make the Law, a whole different category of people do that.

Thanks for your time, I hope I haven't annoyed too many people too much! ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Well said Brian,

Many people in other parts of the world cannot comprehend the vastness of Australia. It's physical land mass and thus the different states in Oz have slightly differing legislation covering Federal and State laws for each different state in Oz. Australia like many other nations struggle for consistency across the board. Customs and each State's firearms authority are at the moment (aren't they always) trying to come up with a single body to handle all knife related imports etc and not having Customs as well as Firearms Registries in each state handle such things.

Some states in Oz seem to be more lax in their interpretation of these laws regarding knives, whilst others take a more guarded approach to the grey area of interpretation specifically with regard to the 'flick knife' laws.

I am still importing folders, but with caution and using appropriate permits. In the meantime FB's are uncontrolled items for us and we can bring those in with no problems...... strange it seems doesn't it. But our Government is more concerned with concealability rather than the actual amount of damage a certain knife can do... If I were a nutjob I'd choose a FB over a folder to do stupid things with. But I'm a mere photo-collector (as Peter calls me :D ) and a user of the finest knives on the planet IMHO.

I hope that the forumites here and elsewhere don't come to false conclusions regarding what individuals can and cannot own/ import etc here in Oz. Brian is prudent in making some of these matters clear in his OP. Many sellers and friends of mine overseas (and mainly from the US) sell and mail out knives to me all the time. No problems as I will always declare my own interest and take on board the fact that the risk lies with me if all is declared and above board.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
ceya

Post by ceya »

Brian,

Thanks for the clearing this up or explaining it to us.

You have to remember that those of us that who does not live in Australia, won't know the issues better than the people who live there.

Now with that said, you can't blame people for listening to people's stories like the young lady getting her gift taken away by customs.

We need people to step up to let us know what going on in their area.

So we don't have any confusion and since you get alot incoming you are better informed than most Australians.

Just like here in NYC, people think the crack down is all of NY State.

No, It is just NYC.

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

Thanks for your responses guys, its appreciated.........I started writing more but have deleted it due to abusive tone...........not to you guys but this whole ridiculous matter. :rolleyes:

Regards,

BRIAN
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

buglerbilly wrote:Thanks for your responses guys, its appreciated.........I started writing more but have deleted it due to abusive tone...........not to you guys but this whole ridiculous matter. :rolleyes:

Regards,

BRIAN
No comment. Please see above.
O.