Video Games?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Video Games?

Post by Blerv »

I'm a HUGE fan of the online roleplaying kind. Started with Ultima Online during High School then on to Everquest for longer than I'd like to admit. Dabbled with Guild Wars and World of Warcraft (plus some free MMORPG's and shorter-played ones). Now I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2 more than the flying car! :D

I enjoyed some of the older shooters but the new ones aren't my cup of tea anymore (past about Golden Eye). Probably because I hate getting destroyed by sniper 12 year olds with mongoose reflexes :o . I will say the Uncharted games for PS3 are insane and I don't mind the shooter element as much.

Casual games are a kick. Mario and Zelda anything. Brawl Brothers, Mario Cart, etc.

Really anything fun or art driven makes me smile. My wife is an artist at a game company so the back-end of the games industry is very interesting.

Anyone else willing to admit to their video game enjoyment? It's ok to admit if you do. After all, if you can justify a collection of tactical knives as a paper pushing employee you argue for anything. ;)
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I very much prefer the old skool games. I haven't owned a console since the Sega Genesis so that bloody third axis kicks me in the butt when I try to play the new games.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

psychophipps wrote:I very much prefer the old skool games. I haven't owned a console since the Sega Genesis so that bloody third axis kicks me in the butt when I try to play the new games.
I'm with you on this. Old School console games are great. I miss the good old "D-Pad". The mini Joy Stick and I are not friends. :mad:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a huge single player gamer...i get random periods of free time so getting good enough to play an online shooter competitively isn't going to happen, so like you said it just gets frustrating getting smoked by people who are on there 24/7. Then with MMO's, i absolutely refuse to pay to play a game that i have to buy in the first place. Back in the day Ultima was free and you could even run your own server...i refuse to spend $60 on WoW and then pay a monthly subscription just to play it (especially with my hit and miss gaming time). To me that's like having to buy a TV channel and then paying to watch it.

So, with all that aside, i'm a HUGE Fallout 3/New Vegas fan, and i'm a certified Grand Theft Auto junkie (currently playing the crap out of GTA 4). I'm also huge on TES Oblivion and i can't wait for the sequel that's in the works right now.

As for console games...i literally have every NES, SNES and Genesis game every created in emulators ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Nice thread. I play 5 titles in all modern installments: Grand Theft Auto, Tekken, Tenchu, Monster Hunter and Fallout.

I love Monster Hunter. It is half fighter, half cooperative online RPG. I highly suggest any iteration of it to all who like fighters/gunners/dynasty warriors games and good old fashioned boss battles. It is such a good game.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice picks! I enjoy most of those too.

I hear good things about Monster Hunter. Definitely need to check that one out. :)

The "pay to play" thing is a very sensitive subject. I played WoW, EQ and some of those games for years. It definitely adds up and while not a huge expense is hard to justify (plus the days of time spent playing).

Guild Wars 2 is going to be a non-subscription game. Considering you can prob sink hundreds of hours into it w/o scratching the surface it's more cost effective than most console games. Mainly the art in that game is going to be insane. ArenaNet has some of the best artists in the industry.

It's going to be a visceral and visual explosion =)
Donut

Post by Donut »

I play a little Counterstrike Source.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think Blizzard is just sucking people dry with these subscriptions. It should be like Diablo 2 was back in the day. If Diablo 3 comes out and it isn't free online play i'm going to boycott Blizzard. Star Craft and D2 were my first PC games and they got me hooked from the start. I still haven't played Star Craft 2 yet.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:I think Blizzard is just sucking people dry with these subscriptions. It should be like Diablo 2 was back in the day. If Diablo 3 comes out and it isn't free online play i'm going to boycott Blizzard. Star Craft and D2 were my first PC games and they got me hooked from the start. I still haven't played Star Craft 2 yet.
Yea that's a problem.

Even $12-15 per month isn't a ton. Consider any social activity like Happy Hour, smoking, pool, etc. However, paying per month does add to the "shame" factor in that you have to explain to your friends, spouse, girlfriend, etc why the time-sink of your life actually costs per month.

Sadly 15 million subscribers at $14 a month is 210 million PER MONTH in subscriptions. It's obviously greed because Blizzard isn't adding new content and maintenance can't approach a fraction of it.

Meanwhile other game companies are pushing game engines, art, and content/ideas and NOT charging the monthly fees.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Exactly...it's all about money.

Some days i just laugh and fire up my Super NES emulator and play my little heart out...lol
~David
henhen14

Post by henhen14 »

I love Uncharted and I can't wait for the 3rd to come out, and I also really want to try out Assassin's Creed.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

monster hunter is free online. Capcom maintains the servers. They maintained the PS2 version from 2001 to 2008 on their company's dime. They're covering the Wii version as well.

The PSP versions are ad hoc, and there is a free program to play together with other PSPs through the PS3 with voice chat. I refuse to play Blizzard games because of their server charges.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
zed4130

Post by zed4130 »

I remember my old atari with wood effect from the late 70's lol, then ZX spectrum, played monte molle a lot a jet set willy, then sega mega drive, then ps1 ps2 , but stopped there untill the Wii but not a fan of that, kids play it now and then, for about 11 years now ive mainly played games on my pc and have stuck with GTA sa since having it on the ps2 many years ago, i loike it as on the pc it can me modded so all the cars are changed and i added the knight rider mod, my oldest loves her DS and i prefer the psp as play mainly driving games and of course GTA ,always loved gaming,

paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I still play San Andreas...that game is awesome and some of the mods are amazing. I can't believe how hardcore the graphics are in GTA4. I was talking to a computer nerd buddy and he said you can run a video card with 3gb of RAM and still not be able to max out the graphics settings. He was saying that for the most part, PC hardware is way ahead of software but that game alone is a major resource hog.

I think it's funny that i can get every NES and its Famicon counterpart plus the program to play them all on a single CDR. Over 700 games and it's still less than 1gb.
~David
zed4130

Post by zed4130 »

Evil D wrote:I still play San Andreas...that game is awesome and some of the mods are amazing. I can't believe how hardcore the graphics are in GTA4. I was talking to a computer nerd buddy and he said you can run a video card with 3gb of RAM and still not be able to max out the graphics settings. He was saying that for the most part, PC hardware is way ahead of software but that game alone is a major resource hog.

I think it's funny that i can get every NES and its Famicon counterpart plus the program to play them all on a single CDR. Over 700 games and it's still less than 1gb.
sadly ive ot got gta4 yet as i need a better graphics card, i hope to have it soon though as there already is a lot of mods for it on the pc,

paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah i haven't tried any mods yet...the cars it comes with are actually very good...as good as a lot of San Andreas mods or even better. The physics are WAY different on this game too.
~David
zed4130

Post by zed4130 »

Evil D wrote:Yeah i haven't tried any mods yet...the cars it comes with are actually very good...as good as a lot of San Andreas mods or even better. The physics are WAY different on this game too.

yeah ive added a few GTA4 cars to san andreas , i like the duke, its kind of betweenm a dodge charger and challenger lol, the sultan RS is pretty nice as well,
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I have an XBOX 360 and a Wii. I downloaded Ultimate Doom and Doom II through the XBOX arcade and put in quite a bit of time on those. I play Rock Band quite a bit too. I don't really get to into Guitar Hero though as RB is the better format. I recently got the New Super Mario Brothers for the Wii and it is a fantastic throwback to the old school games. I've also downloaded some old NES, SNES, and Genesis games via the Wii and play those. I also play some old Star Wars first-person shooters on my computer from time to time. Finally, I still have my original NES with all the games and love to whip that baby out from time to time too. So yeah, I play some video games.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
delicafreak

Post by delicafreak »

ive played everything from WOW to runescape, to puzzle pirates to IMVU haha i mostly just watch my subs on YT and cruise the forums now. along with some call of duty.
it all started november 2010.. now Im up to 16:spyder:'s and 2 BYRD's and still, theres many more to come. thanks sal :p:D HUGE thanks to my dad for my newly accuired Orange manix 2!:D
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

ps3 and wii. ps3 for gta, cod, moh type games i play for long periods of time. wii for old school games and downloads of mario, zelda, etc etc. i dislike motion sensor controller's and use the normal controller i use on all the systems. i won't say i never use it. it just gets boring quick.
i play video games to zone out and relax, not get in shape. :rolleyes:
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."