Extremely sick, severe throat virus going around

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Extremely sick, severe throat virus going around

Post by Evil D »

Cliff notes:, mega throat virus going around, if you get a sore throat don't screw around, go see a doctor ASAP because it ain't no joke.

Guys, the doc said there's some serious stuff going around. Yesterday i woke up around 4pm (i work thirds so that's normal lol) and i had a sore throat, and that feeling when you just know you're about to be sick. By 10pm my entire body was in pain, and i don't mean just aches and soreness i mean i felt like my whole torso was "thrown out". If you've ever thrown out your back, that's the best way i can describe how my entire torso felt....every muscle in my back from my butt to my neck was in agony and my chest wasn't any different. My tonsils are literally touching each other and pushing against my uvula (little dude that hangs down in your throat) and constantly gagging me and my throat is dry like rubbing two pieces of sandpaper together. I also have white blisters all over my tonsils.

I went in to work and tried to deal with it and i made it to 6:30am before it broke me. I was having trouble breathing, and i couldn't walk without getting short of breath (and i'm a non smoker if that makes a difference). I went to sit down and couldn't get back up. My whole body just about shut down. I was getting dizzy and delusional from all the pain so i called my mother who works at the same place as me. She came with the boss on duty and they basically made me go to the ER, mom drove.

I get to the hospital and of course they act like i have a cold and blow me off until i get to see the doc finally and i'm like look doc, how can i explain this so you won't think i'm 1) trying to get pills from you and 2) crying wolf to get out of work? I'm in SERIOUS PAIN. I tell him, i've had my butt kicked in fights, i've been in bad bicycle crashes, car crashes, i've been sore from everything from work to lifting weights to riding bikes 30 miles a day, you name it, but i've never in my life felt this much pain over this much of my body at one time. I was almost in tears because i just couldn't focus on anything but the pain.

Anyways, sorry i'm rambling i'm a bit buzzed on percocet at the moment. I guess the fact that a 31 year old man had to have his mother drive him to the ER was enough to convince this doctor that i wasn't BS'ing him and when he looked at my throat he kinda stepped back and said yeah you're sick. He said there's some kind of serious throat virus going around that's 10x worse than strep throat. He also said everything else was showing signs i might have the flu but because my lungs sounded clean and i don't have a cough he would treat me with penicillin as a viral infection, and he put me on percocet for the pain.

Guys let me tell ya, i don't drink or do any recreational drugs. I won't take pain killers and stuff like that unless it's absolutely necessary, and right now i feel like i'm a step away from death. I feel like i've had my butt kicked by 10 MMA guys all at the same time. I can't do ANYTHING without hurting...standing, sitting, laying, nothing feels good. The percs do take the edge off though. The doc was saying the reason i hurt so bad is the throat virus is spreading to my other organs and muscles in my torso because of how many times you swallow throughout the day and it's spreading fast. I went from feeling fine to feeling like death in about 10 hours time. He went on to say this isn't one of those things you're going to be able to tough it out, so if you guys start getting a sore throat, you may wanna go right ahead and see your doc because this stuff had me fearing that something serious was happening to me because of all the pain.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Same for me a few months ago---I went to the ER in November for the first time since the handle broke off my gas hedge trimmer and my fingers went into the blade!!! I had some kind of respiratory virus that hurt so bad i thought I must be having a heart attack--got a vague "pleurisy" diagnosis. Like you said--I know what pain feels like, and this was it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My mother says they blow me off because of how i look. She says i'm a big strong mean looking man and people expect me to be invincible. I have a really high threshold for pain so by the time i'm to the point that i break down and go to a doctor or ER it's usually pretty serious. Once i'm to the point that i'll take pain pills.....well, if you knew me you'd know it's pretty serious by that point.
~David
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Ouch sounds terrible. Hope you feel better soon. I usually catch a cold around fall every year and this year because of important matters, I've been loading up on vitamin C and staying away from sick people. (super germophobe at the moment, funny I'm usually pretty careless about this) I still haven't caught a cold or anything until now and I certainly hope I don't catch this. I kinda have a feeling I'm going to be hit hard somewhere in the next few months.. :)

Thanks for sharing.
-Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm prone to getting sinus infections at least few times a year. I got a broken nose when i was younger and i've had sinus issues ever since. This body pain thing blew me away...i thought something major was wrong with me.
~David
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Good luck and hope you feel better. My wife just got overca 5 day run of sickness. Sucks big!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Please do let us know how this turns out. As a fellow Ohioan I'm curious.

I wish you well and hope you get better soon.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well the good news is i feel effin fantastic now. I've laid around pretty much all day, and it seems the penicillin/percocet combo are just what i needed. My throat is still really sore and swollen so i'm far from healed, but some Cloroseptic spray is helping a lot with that. The great news is that the torso pain is all but gone, thank God. I feel a little sore but nothing like it was yesterday. Also i had my diagnosis wrong...it's not a virus it's a bacterial infection.
~David
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

That was a quick recovery! Happy for ya.

Now I don't feel as bad getting it.. but then again I'm not as fit and tough as you. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's like i told my mother...when you feel that terrible, just "feeling like crap" is an improvement lol. I can tolerate a sore throat but that body pain stuff was craaaazy. I wouldn't wish that on my enemies.
~David
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

You haven't had fun till you tried pnuemonia... Had that fun a year ago .

As long as I stayed upright it was workable, but I had the same pain you describe (everything hurt, and because I wasn't sleeping I was drained). Just hoping it doesn't happen this year now.

Just remember, when you're sick sleep is your friend... The rest of the time it's overrated ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

My friend's entire family is going through some crazy virus infection. His 3 year old has pneumonia since last week, his wife has bronchitis, and he told me he has a sore throat and feeling dizzy. If their two other kids get sick, he's in a world of pain.

Take care of yourself. The only thing that helps me is if I start to get that feeling in my throat is to take 2 motrins about every 8 hours. They keep the swelling down and seems to keep things localized until it goes away. I have no clue why it helps, but it's the only thing that's ever worked for me. Perhaps the daily multi-vitamin helps too.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

glad you are on the mend, dont over do anything, just chill out and relax for a few days.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Man I've had many many many sinus infections in my time. The thing I've found that help me more than anything is the Neil Med sinus rinse. If you haven't tried it...then do...you can thank me later.
Evil D wrote:I'm prone to getting sinus infections at least few times a year. I got a broken nose when i was younger and i've had sinus issues ever since. This body pain thing blew me away...i thought something major was wrong with me.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

(cough)
It's going around (cough) here in FL also. I've (cough) been coughing and had a sore th(cough)roat for about a week. (cough) Seriously, it is painful.

Get (cough) well soon,
Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wsdavies wrote:Man I've had many many many sinus infections in my time. The thing I've found that help me more than anything is the Neil Med sinus rinse. If you haven't tried it...then do...you can thank me later.
Yep...i have the pot/gravity style and the squeeze bottle style. I'm not the greatest at keeping a routine so i end up only doing it when i'm congested but they do help a lot. I'm looking into one of those battery powered versions too. I'm also thinking about moving, because i think a lot of this has to do with my apartment because i've never been as sick as often as i have the last 4 years i've lived here...there has to be mold or more dust than usual in this place.
~David
4077th

Post by 4077th »

Guys, seriously... You need to look at a vitamin D supplement. Go to your local health food store (or even Walmart) and look into a liquid form of D, or gelcaps. Liquid is better. Eyedropper form. Each drop contains 100 IU so you can control your dosage. During the winter months a lot of us are vitD deficient due to lack of sun exposure. Try and get some iodine also. Kelp caps are your friend. Or (if you're so inclined) get natural dehydrated seaweed from your local health store or Korean market. Get healthy. These viruses are usually beatable with some preventative dieting measures. Best wishes. Don't be sick for the Superbowl. Packer nation is DEPENDING on a healthy fan base. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Man i am ALL EARS on supplement advice. I get bacterial infections and just common colds way too **** much and i'm sick of it. My diet isn't the greatest but i don't live off fast food or anything and i'm generally a pretty healthy guy but my immune system is a sissy.
~David
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I'll have to make a list of the suppliiments I take when I get home. Other than allergies and injuries I'm fairly health. Only problem is when a few of get low at the same time, you get a few odd looks at the till.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.