New Job/What do you do!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ASmitty

New Job/What do you do!!!

Post by ASmitty »

About two months ago, I started a new job and I'm finally in the career field that I want for the long term. Before this, I was working as a team supervisor in the fraud department of a credit card call center for a large retail company. I recently transitioned to working as a Software Quality Assurance Analyst for a banking/financial services company. I'm very excited about this; my long term goal is to become a computer programmer. I didn't study computer science in college so it's taken some extra work to get here but I'm finally in the realm I want to be in.

So, since I haven't seen one of these in awhile, I thought I'd use this to start a thread on occupations. So what does everyone here do??
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I just started last week on the floor of a food manufacturing plant. I'm currently general utility, though I will be moving up to a cook in all likelyhood within two weeks. They are also asking me about becoming a palletizer operator, label operator, or a case packer operator

My goal is to get into the maintenance department. I will be going to MEPS in a few months for the Air Force reserve as well.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i have been enjoying my winter lay off till this am-when a company i worked for out of the union hall last year called to ruin my day- :(

looks like im back to tile setting next week :mad:

what really stinks is its in Ithaca at the college -driving too and from that place in the winter SUCKS-been there done that-

and working at that college always sucks because of how the university runs jobs-most times your parking area is 2-3 miles from the job-some times you cant start till after 9am because they dont want us waking up any students who may be in the next building-ect ect

done enough work down there to not be a happy camper right now

oh well at least i know ive got work
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a 4 year degree for Electrical Engineering. I am an electrical designer for a consulting engineering firm. I know a little about the National Electric Code. :o

In english, I have a desk job and I make drawings so that people can get permits and build things.

This forum sometimes makes me wish I had more of a mechanical background, but I think that normally your hobbies/interests and work do not overlap.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I am retired now. I serve no purpose to the human race and am a burden to society. I think my dog loves me though.

Jack
Shredder

Jobs

Post by Shredder »

I'm a student at SDSU, full time. Financial Aid is a wonderful thing! I'm working towards a BA in Communication and have 4 semesters, or 2 academic years, to go. Finally, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Oh, I also do landscaping on the side for cash in hand. Which is a polite way of saying I cut down trees and mow lawns for under-the-table $$.
No one here works for the IRS...right? ;)
I'm new to the forum and quasi-new to Spyderco. I started with a Delica and have since bought a UK penknife, leaf blade, maroon (although it looks brown to me). A Ladybug, VG-10, purple. I have a Sage 3 on the way and have pre-ordered the Manix Lightweight Translucent. By the way, anyone have an idea when the Manix will be on the market?
Shredder

Post by Shredder »

Nevermind, I just saw on another thread "2011 Shot Show", that the Manix will be out late this year *sigh*. :(
But, on the brighter side, I have something to look forward to! :)
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

I own a couple of restaurants.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

BBQ BOY wrote:I own a couple of restaurants.
mmmmm, we want recipes :D

as for me i break things for a living ;) , i am a fireman on a truck in Chicago. Getting this job was liking hitting the lotto and anyone who says different is a liar.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I am a Cat Herder, sometimes also described as a (computer) System Administrator.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

jackknifeh wrote:I am retired now. I serve no purpose to the human race and am a burden to society. I think my dog loves me though.

Jack
too funny :D
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Freelance filmmaker, usually doing something in the camera department, but have worked pretty much every position there is on set. Being freelance, sometimes there's lots of work and sometimes hardly any, but I make enough to pay the bills and I love what I do, so I really can't complain. I'd like to move up to making feature films, but right now mostly shoot commercials, short films, and live events.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I'm a full time student, studying civil engineering.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Self employed for the most part. I piece together many different sources of revenue. None of them are full time but they all add up to way more than 40 hrs/week. The combined income also adds up to more than just working a typical 40 hr/week job.

Real Estate Appraiser 65% of my time
Realtor 5% of my time
SCUBA Instructor 5% of my time
Bookkeeper 25% of my time
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I get to do my hobby for my job....and get paid to do it.

I am the Network Administrator for the Cleveland Browns. :)

MCSE, MCP+I, and Linux+ Certified. I work on Microsoft/Linux servers, Cisco equipment, IP phones, PC's, VMware, backups, etc...
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Mechanical designer, currently for alkaline battery manufacturing machinery, doubling as documentation technician. A lot of layouts, assemblies, and detail drawings in Acad, soon more parametric modeling with Solidworks and a new document magement system. It's not lucrative, but it keeps me learning and reaching for more :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Congrats!

I'm an insurance agent that does commercial marine insurance. My wife is an artist at a local video game company. I work my 40 hours a week and then envy her job for all remaining hours. :D
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

I am a commercial lobsterman. Pretty much my entire life's savings is invested in the business so it doesn't leave much room for the knives. I am getting intimately acquainted with the ones that I do have though, as i use them a lot and get to use them for an extended period of time. all in all it is a a good job for a knife guy.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

tonydahose wrote:mmmmm, we want recipes :D
Incorrect! We want free food! BBQ Boy, would your name have anything to do with the restaurants??

As for my job, Im in marketing with a small, small medical device company. We are working on a treatment for people with emphysema. Hopefully, we will start selling in Europe this year and in the US in 2015...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Started a new job 01 Nov, as the Syncrude Client Services Manager for Harris Canada Systems Inc, on site at Mildred Lake north of Fort McMurray... the fun of being young and single, I had nothing to lose by dropping everything and moving 1000 km away for a better job.

Pretty much I make sure my techs have enough work to do, and follow the red tape.

Beats the **** out of my last job... Quality Assurance Reliability Tech for Vecima Networks, with ~30 of 1000 employees above me in the corporate scheme after 4.5yrs of climbing. Usually worked on 6-15 things at once, and it wasn't uncommon to have 3-4 reports on the go any given time.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.