Spyderco Zulu

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ouchyfoot

Spyderco Zulu

Post by ouchyfoot »

I just got my new Spyderco Zulu. Boy, was I ever excited....but...not for long.
I love the design of the blade, the scaled handle, the strange beauty of it.
When I started to play with it I discovered it didn't feel at all comfortable in my hand. It felt like I was a half inch too far away from the blade. My fingers weren't comfortable...my pinkie had no where to go.
The beautiful scaled handle is just eye candy because your fingers never really touch it. When gripping the Zulu in the normal manner, your fingers only touch the liner lock and the very edge of the grip. The back...well it's the back...the back of your fingers touch the back scales and nothing more... A flat grip on the back would have been fine...even without the clip. The edge is so dull I could run my tongue along it and not cut myself. I will either remove the clip or change it to tip down because the tip up factory position leaves the knife sticking a fill inch out of your pocket.
One handed opening???....like a switch blade!!!
I know this sounds like I'm really giving the Zulu a hard time, but these are my impressions right out of the box.
I love it for it's unique and versatile looking beauty. The blade shape is hard to resist. Unfortunately beauty and functionality do not always co exist.
burningpit

Post by burningpit »

To each their own! I have average sized hands and the Zulu fits my hand nicely and very comfortable. The blade opening and closing is very smooth indeed. In fact, you really have to be careful that it doesn't bite you when closing the blade. It would have be nice to have jimping on top of the blade but I know Anso doesn't incorporate jimping into his designs (much like Schempp) so I can live with that. Overall, I think it's a well executed design.
:spyder: Collector Club #092 :spyder:
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Keep using it. When I got mine, I was initially offput by the thick odd handle, but now I feel like it's very comfortable in hand.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

show us photos to see how the handle sit in your hand
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

It's often said that Jens' designs aren't for everyone.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I would agree with that last statement. Absolutley loved the look of the rock lobster but could not get a comfortable grip on it no matter how much I tried. Others on this forum found the grip on that knife to be excellent.

Glad Spyderco offers such a diverse range of knives cause you can always find one that works for you.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I don't really understand how you hold a knife and not touch the scales??

Anyway, I've been carrying the Zulu for the last couple of weeks, and really like it so far.
:bug-red-white
ouchyfoot

Post by ouchyfoot »

Well, I've been carrying my Zulu for a couple of weeks.
I saw it, I bought it. It looked like everything I loved. The blade shape...so cool.. the blade plus this neat handle scaling ...I couldn't resist.
I still don't like it. It feels uncomfortable and awkward in my hand. The Anso scaled handle really turned me on...had to have it...but...I personally don't feel that it is very good except for visualizing.
I paid good money for this knife and regret it...it let me down.
The blade shape is cool...the innovative handle is beautiful to look at...but dosnt really work in reality.
I just ordered the Phoenix. I'm hoping it will be my new EDC.
I am looking forward to the new Jason Breeden Rescue. The Breeden Captain is my favorite Spyderco...it was designed by god to fit my hand perfectly.

Don't get pissed off at me. I love everything about the look of the Zulu. It just doesn't physically work for me.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

My hand type is much broader stronger fingers relative to my finger length, but other than that my fingers are a normal length. I think it fits my hands quite well, but I wouldn't want it any smaller. My fingertips rest on the scale. I guess everyone is a bit different, but I'm thoroughly pleased.
The edge is so dull I could run my tongue along it and not cut myself.
I'm not so sure about this. Mine came pretty sharp and hasn't shown any signs of losing that edge yet. I've never received a dull spydie before.
What surprised me about the model was just how light it is, and how thin the liner lock is. It seems plenty stiff and strong, but I just expected thicker I suppose. I might also add that I can pretty easily flick the blade which I love and do endlessly. I'd give this one a ten out of ten in my book. To each their own I suppose.
ouchyfoot

Post by ouchyfoot »

The flick is great. I love to do it myself...like switchblade.
The sharpness...mine is not so good...not bad...not good.
This was my first Spyderco blade fom Taiwan and it was not a good introduction.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I would dearly like to know how exactly you are holding the knife such that your fingers don't rest on the scales. Also just for the sake of knowing how wide and long is your hand? My hand is over 4.25" across the knuckles and 7.25" from the base of my hand to the fingertips. (rough measurements)
Part of the reason I am so concerned is because new spydercos never come dull that I've seen (and I've been at this for years) so I'd worry you either got a used or fake knife.
Morris

Post by Morris »

I have a Zulu on the way - can't wait to try it out. I'm a big fan of Jens' work.

There's no reason for you to apologise for your observations - that's why Spyderco makes
a bunch of different models. I'm sure you could sell your Zulu, bit of a pain sure, but it's
an option.

My made in Taiwan CF Sage is an amazing knife. It's FF is faultless. Much better than the
Seki-City CF Lum i have.