unbreakable boot laces?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
VashHash

unbreakable boot laces?

Post by VashHash »

So I have a pair of blackhawk block ops boots and within 3-4 months they ate the laces up so I went on the search for abrasion resistant laces and found many options mostly kevlar laces. Then. Stumbled upon a canadian company called Armorlace. They tout that they make an unbreakable lace backed by a lifetime warranty. Well I made the call and purchased them last week. They arrved today. Set me back about $20 USD with shipping. They seem very stiff and well made but I'm curious. Has anyone else used these or heard of these? They say you can hang from them and they won't break some kind of kevlar mixed with other fabrics or something. I just laced up my boots and these feel a lot better than the cheap laces I bought that kept slipping and making my boots feel loose. Any input would be appreciated.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Personally i've never understood how people break laces. There's a guy at work who complains about it too. I've got some 10 year old Redwings on the original laces.

You may wanna try paracord.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

+1 on the paracord, that is what i have been replacing my laces when they do break.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Evil D wrote:Personally i've never understood how people break laces. There's a guy at work who complains about it too. I've got some 10 year old Redwings on the original laces.

+1

Paracord or leather works for me. Use them in 4 different workboots-no problems in years.

OldHoosier
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I am liking paracord, but it doesn't stay tied up without an extra knot.

- best wishes, Jazz.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'll have to try some of those for my skate shoes. Typically skateboards go through laces really quickly (grip-tape against laces is necessary for almost all tricks). Usually the shoes come with 2 extra pairs of laces, but I go through those in a few months. This product might be perfect for me.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'll be checking these out.

I generally wear out a pair of boots in about 2 years and I will often go through 3-4 sets of laces over the life of a pair. Paracord is OK, but like Jazz said it doesn't stay tied real well. Once I get my boots on in the morning, it's often 14-16 hours before they come off and I do everything from desk work to outdoors to welding (this is tough on boots and laces). I'm a little hard on my boots and the laces often get burned from weld spatter and grinding or just wear out from sliding through the grommets when tying them on day after day.

Thanks for the heads up.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
RyanA

Post by RyanA »

Another +1 on the paracord

A lot of it can be bought for cheap. It is very strong. It's also great for lanyards, cord wrap handles, etc. I usually just wear out the laces (if the boots last long enough) then go to paracord. As for the tying, I usually just use the quick lace hooks on my boots, so a very tight knot works well.
siamo il rumore
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

If you work around sharp rocks, gunite concrete or metal cutting/welding, you are going to have broken laces. Good leather laces worked the best for me.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Evil D wrote:Personally i've never understood how people break laces. There's a guy at work who complains about it too. I've got some 10 year old Redwings on the original laces.

I think it's not that much about the laces but about those rivets or hooks in the boots where the laces go through. Some of them are very well made, with smooth surfaces and rounded edges (which I bet it's the case of your Redwings).
I had a similar problem with a pair of shoes which were munching at my laces faster than I can eat ice cream. Once I removed the rivets and left the bare holes in the leather, the problem dissapeared.
Of course, this isn't an universal solution.Some boots or shoes really need those rivets.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
JLS

Post by JLS »

That's a very good point, Dialex. Well made boots help a lot with the laces lasting longer.

But I will have to say that doing any amount of welding and grinding will shorten the life of the laces and the boots as well. Something about hot metal tends to do bad things to leather and worse things to nylon and other plastics.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Another option you may wanna try are those hard military spec laces that brands like Altima use on their GI boots. They're a nylon weave like a lot of laces but they're either coated or just slightly melted or something to make them hard and stiff. I've owned so many pairs of GI boots i've lost count and i can't remember ever breaking a lace on those, and the eyelets are the speed lace style so the strings are subjected to a good amount of friction every time they're put on.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
LDB

Post by LDB »

Wear your shoelaces on your wrist or elsewhere, http://www.survivalstraps.com
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I've always just used military-grade parachute cord. Never broken or worn through a set yet. Never had a problem with knots coming undone either, but you can always just tie a nasty knot in them and then just cut the cord later, I suppose.

With a 550 pound breaking strength, the boots are more likely to come apart than the 'laces'.
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The military-grade nylon laces are what I use, although those are the only ones authorized for use when in uniform. Although they hold up well, they do tend to slip and loosen up, unless you do the double knot technique, and when in the field, these laces (along with cotton-based laces, that don't loosen up and slip) pick up a lot of burrs that are a pain to remove later.

Leather laces (once broken in and well oiled with a preservative, like mink oil) have proven to be the best performers to me for "civilian use." They don't slip or loosen, they don't pick up burrs, and they last for quite a while until they wear out with use, age, and/or lack of maintenance (i.e., forgetting to treat them with a preservative).
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've been using paracord in my combat boots for years. I wear my boots done up tight, and within 3-4 months the eyelets are eating the 550. I'd have to check how many eyelets I've removed from this pair, but the last pair had most of em gone.
Probably doesn't help that I'm usually on my feet for 14hrs a day, if not more.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
El Gato

Re: unbreakable boot laces?

Post by El Gato »

johnsarnik wrote:If you don’t want to make them yourself check out http://www.maddoglaces.com for the finest paracord laces on the planet.
I just added this MDL website to my Favorites listing. The Marine Corps Veteran Owned Business did it for me.
I am going to give these laces a try. They look like a high quality product to me, and what's not to like about a lifetime guarantee?
Especially because I am old, (so the laces won't have to last all that long ..... :D ).

Thanks for the tip johnsarnik. :)

Dave
El Gato

Re: unbreakable boot laces?

Post by El Gato »

I just placed my order with MDL for 3 pairs of laces, scheduled to arrive the first of the week. John's website is easy to use, with several options to choose from, making it quick and easy to place an order. Within minutes of placing the order I received shipping notification. Outstanding!!

Feels good to support the business of a fellow vet. :)

Dave
LDB

Re:

Post by LDB »

LDB wrote:Wear your shoelaces on your wrist or elsewhere, http://www.survivalstraps.com
Wow, almost 7 years since I posted that. Where does the time go?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re:

Post by Doc Dan »

dialex wrote:

I think it's not that much about the laces but about those rivets or hooks in the boots where the laces go through. Some of them are very well made, with smooth surfaces and rounded edges (which I bet it's the case of your Redwings).
I had a similar problem with a pair of shoes which were munching at my laces faster than I can eat ice cream. Once I removed the rivets and left the bare holes in the leather, the problem dissapeared.
Of course, this isn't an universal solution.Some boots or shoes really need those rivets.
Dialex, I have not seen you around for a while. Glad to see you back.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050