Now that I have the Paramilitary 2 in my hand, what was all that hype about?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Post by araneae »

SnowCrash wrote:Hey, almost 7 pages. Great troll or greatest troll?
We've had much better. I'd say mediocre.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SnowCrash wrote: Just because I don't like the paramilitary 2 and believe that the FFG endura and benchmade 940 are a better bang for the buck, you really don't have to rage all over the pages here
Nope, you didn't say you like those knives better. You said:
SnowCrash wrote:I'm merely saying that the knife does not live up to its hype/pricetag. In all honesty I think the Endura ffg beats it in every way possible with half the cost, but that's my opinion.
You mean that your opinion is right and everybody else and some guys who have forgotten more about knives than you will ever know, are all wrong? What makes you special?

And are you proud of that? I guess in your book, that that's something to be proud of.
kawr

Post by kawr »

Not even close. You're just a clown rolling your face on the keyboard and screaming about how upset you are. Guess what you're the only one that's mad and frankly its pretty hilarious how desperate you are trying to get rid of BOTH the para 2 and 940 on the exchange for a spyderco military. Oh the irony and hilarity :D .
FissionMailed

Post by FissionMailed »

Snow, I'm assuming your atleast 17 years old so please, act mature. You could have gone about stating your opinion in a more mature and thought out way instead of clearly trying to cause problems. Also, is the "ITT: Butthurt" image really necessary? Unless you don't have an operating brain, you could clearly see how bashing one of Spyderco's most valued products could potentially piss people off, especially since you went about it in the way that you did. Could you do everyone a favor and stop causing useless drama? Thank you for your time.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

He will then rant and rage about how the millie is not up to his standards. :D
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

Yeah I think I'm done here. Thanks for the laughs, everyone- cheers :p
MCM

Post by MCM »

What a sad little person........ :(

Hope things get better for you! :)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Wow... I leave for a few hours to watch the movie "Inception" and this thread accelerates its implosion. Inception was a great movie by the way... I highly recommend it. But, I guess that comment should be in the off-topic discussion section. But at this point, who really cares?
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

captnvegtble wrote:Wow... I leave for a few hours to watch the movie "Inception" and this thread accelerates its implosion. Inception was a great movie by the way... I highly recommend it. But, I guess that comment should be in the off-topic discussion section. But at this point, who really cares?
Inception was a great movie.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Today I had a peanut butter and peach jam sandwich for lunch. Nothing exotic, but it sure was tasty.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/90Qr7n5fcT8?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/90Qr7n5fcT8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
slagg

Post by slagg »

Hmm, I don't usually post because everyone else seems to say everything imaginable.

But... I was EDC'ing the 940 for a couple years at least before it got lost.

That said, I replaced it with a millie. I'm still waiting for my para 2.

Since I usually only carry one knife in a dedicated way, why would I switch?

The 940 started to bother me after a while. I loved the axis lock. So nice to use. Doesn't cause calluses on the fingies. It's slick looking, but the handle is a bit too narrow to really bear down on. There's no choil on the blade either to keep you from sliding up on it. Plus, it looked so nice that I didn't use it hard cause I didn't want to scratch it all up. That said, the reinforced tip still broke off. That was a disappointment. It wasn't much good for fine work before that, and it was less good after.

That's one of the things I really liked about the millie. Such an acute point. Good for tiny craft knife type work, yet still strong enough for rough stuff. The handle really inspires confidence too. The blade is sturdy enough to pry with.. Oops, did I say that? We don't pry with knives. Hey, and the back of the blade is a straightedge.

The only thing I don't like about the millie, is that it's kind of ... large. Makes me feel like a bit of a freak around normals. Pull it out, and everyone jumps back.

So, I have high hopes for the Para2 being all that, but a bit smaller.

Anyway, that's my story about my beefs with the 940: so cool, not real useful.

That's why I converted.
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

It makes me a little sad to see this thread eh? I have watched snowcrash post for a few months and he asked some good questions and had some good interactions with people (including myself).

Then I saw this thread....and it smells as bad as 4chan. It makes me feel a bit ill to see someone I thought was good turn into a troll faster than a werewolf eating moon pie.

What a crappy way to end the week.
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

I don t want to reflame this but Snowcrash you need to change your attitude man! :spyder: Para2 is a great knife and all that praising for bm won t get you anywere here.... on spyderco forum because Para is better than 940 imho....
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

SnowCrash wrote:I mean sure it's a good small sized folder, but the lock doesn't make for easy one handed closing, as well as being tough to press in to disengage, and the blade locks itself into place two clicks (weird). Aside from that, it looks nice and the g10 is grippy...yet another knife I can't understand the price tag justifying itself. Is it all because it's made in Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth?
Give it some time. I can just about guarantee that if you keep using the Para 2, and compare it to other knives as your collection grows, you will continually be more impressed with it.

Every locking mechanism in existence that uses a ball detent closes with "two clicks" (excluding the venerable Umnumzaan). Other knives have less tension on the lock-bar, so it is more subtle, but it is there.
Complaints about the Compression Lock are not uncommon. Many people share your opinion on the operation of the lock. People such as myself love the lock because it does what it is designed to do incredibly well. The Compression Lock is one of the most reliable out there.
Please note the difference between "tough" and "reliable". Nothing is invincible, but this lock will keep the blade open under normal use better than virtually any other.

All the hype surrounding the Para 2 is based on the cult following that the original Para had for the last five or six years. Over that time virtually everyone has been asking for an update to change several things that suit many peoples preferences. Such as the four way clip and a subtle change to the shape of the grip where your pinky finger sits. I never bought the Para 1 because I already have and love the Military, and see little need for a smaller version. However, given that this model was the result of half a decade of refinement on one of Spyderco's most popular models, I figured it was worth a try.
Out of the box my Para 2 required less "tinkering to my preferences" than any other folder I've ever bought. It is indeed extremely well made. If you never warm up to the form of the knife, that's ok. We are human beings and everyone is different.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Not that it matters, and this probably isn't the right place, but I too am not a huge fan of the Compression Lock. I just find it awkward to actuate. I am also not a huge fan of G10. I like it in the hand, I despise what it does to my jean pockets.

Other than those two griefs, I am interested in getting a Para2 in my hand, and my Spyderpak.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

You know what else is a total let-down after all the build-up I got from other people? Puppies. God, don't get me started.

Anyway, if any of you dopes like puppies, get over yourselves.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

I find the compression lock very easy to use i just put my thumb on the g10 lock side and with my index finger i push the lock while i hold the knife using my other fingers....pretty easy if you re a righty...... :)
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

RedRunner wrote:I too found the Para 2 to have double click on opening, especially when I open it slowly.
Thought about PM'ing you, and didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just drop it in here and maybe others can correct me if I'm wrong about the comp lock part.

The Gayle Bradley does the same thing--double click on opening. You should see something similar upon inspection of the comp lock, though I've not seen one:
All locks have a mechanism to keep closure bias on the blade so it won't fall open with gravity;
The same feature applies pressure to the blade tang during travel until open;
The Gayle Bradley liner lock mechanism has a small nub that protrudes from the lock bar to bias the blade closed, and the lock bar spring pressure keeps the nub in contact with the blade tang during travel;
In that last few degrees before full open, that nub falls off the tang as the tang rotates out from under it, and the lock bar slaps the tang (click one) and rides it for a few more degrees of rotation, then falls in and wedges behind the tang (click two).
All of the above causes a double click. I suspect the comp lock does something similar.
p3pe

Sorry, my camera did not capture it

Post by p3pe »

p3pe wrote:I will do, just have to get home from work (in 3hours). Im planning on sharpening it today, but I can take some pictures first and post here :)
I tried several times, but couldnt get a decent picture of it. it was the smallest thing, and it looked like I had stabbed something with the tip.

I spent about 1.5 hours restoring and making it a polished edge. Still not satisfied by the pointiness of the tip. s90v is some work sharpening, but takes a great edge. I believe after a coupple sharpenings the tip will be as I want it again.
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i could really care less of whos **** list im on. but honestly i feel the same way about the Paramilitary (for my personal reasons and hand size)

the handle is way too big for the blade size and its huge in my pocket.

the lock im not a fan of even though i know its the best lock ever.

this being said i simply dont carry one and thats all. no harm. just not for me.

and yes i would carry and Endura over a Para. im old fashioned i guess