China Syndrome

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gunnut35

China Syndrome

Post by gunnut35 »

Today i finally had the chance to carry the Resilience and Persistence and i am really impressed, (i also had a kiwi on me). The fit and finish on these China made Spydercos are up there with all the Spydies, no mater where they are made. I always have liked the Tenacious but I have had 3 of them because it is always the one everyone wants so i have given them away as gifts. I know this has been covered alot about "China Made" but these knives are the best bargain of any knife on the market.
Let me know what you all think of these "Bargain" knives......
Top to Bottom
Resilience, Persistence, and Kiwi
marknett

Post by marknett »

There on my "gonna get" list.
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The tenacious and persistence are in my "have" list. :D

Awesome knives, especially for the money.
araneae

Post by araneae »

They are pretty unbeatable dollar for dollar. The Tenacious is a great design and apparently one of Spyderco's best sellers. I would like to grab a Resilience in the future.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

gunnut35 wrote:Let me know what you all think of these "Bargain" knives......
I think this series of knives is great and a tremendous value. I also think it's peoples prejudices moreso than it is a "syndrome".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Ha... I wonder how many forumites here are old enough to get the movie reference in the thread title??? :)

I have a Tenacious and a Persistence. Amazing quality for the price. Can't say how the steel will hold up. But, I'm very impressed with the fit and finish.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

racer88 wrote:Ha... I wonder how many forumites here are old enough to get the movie reference in the thread title??? :)
I, for one. :D
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Jay_Ev wrote: I also think it's peoples prejudices moreso than it is a "syndrome".
And for others, like me, there is the completely rational (though perhaps mistaken) belief that my country cannot be economically healthy without large numbers of domestic manufacturing jobs, and that the planet cannot be healthy when my country exports pollution (by buying goods produced in countries without significant environmental regulation).
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

First of all Racer88, I am old enought. Thanks for the reminder. :)

I don't have the knives mentioned but I have a Byrd Wings that was made in China. I really like this knife. It is very durable. I use it as a "work" knife because of the cost value. I can beat it to death and not worry about loosing a lot of $. Even with the lower cost it holds up to everything I've put it through so far. I haven't come close to abusing it yet but I believe it could take at least a little abuse (by definition). Go China.

Jack
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I have the tenacious and a few Byrd knives and they are very good indeed - incredible value for money.

I think any company that doesn't acknowledge the Chinese industrial juggernaut heading towards them is just going to get run over in the process. Chinese knives aren't for everyone but we can't stick our heads in the sand and hope that China will go away. The way for any manufacturing business to stay strong and compete with China is to retain it's distinctive identity and to manufacture high-end products at home but also to use the bits of China that will help it reach the lower, mass-retail end of the market too. This seems to be Spydercos strategy and I think they are spot on. :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've already put in my order for an Ambitious (the "baby" of the series). $23 for a knife of this quality is fantastic.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Morris

Post by Morris »

Spyderco just needs to admit that the Tenacious is just their "gateway drug"

to bigger and better offerings! :D

First time i saw the price for one i was sure it was a typo!
marknett

Post by marknett »

Why are so many people down on china imports . 90 percent of the stuff in your house is imported . So to complain about it here , you need to dump your t.v.'s, washer and dryer's , dishwashers , and oh no your computers and cell phones :eek: wait now you can't complain because you can't post ... :rolleyes:
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
THG

Post by THG »

marknett wrote:Why are so many people down on china imports . 90 percent of the stuff in your house is imported . So to complain about it here , you need to dump your t.v.'s, washer and dryer's , dishwashers , and oh no your computers and cell phones :eek: wait now you can't complain because you can't post ... :rolleyes:
Once again... There isn't a single computer component that is made in America. We don't have a choice. On the other hand, there are many knives still made here in the USA.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

THG wrote:Once again... There isn't a single computer component that is made in America. We don't have a choice. On the other hand, there are many knives still made here in the USA.
But... there are no Spyderco Tenacious' made in the United States!
THG

Post by THG »

captnvegtble wrote:But... there are no Spyderco Tenacious' made in the United States!
Well of course in that case, we're talking about one model, not "knives" in general. In the case of computers and computer components, every last model is made in china.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

marknett wrote:Why are so many people down on china imports . 90 percent of the stuff in your house is imported
Compare how many people I know I real life complains about it, and how many people online complains about it, I suspect it's a case of "squeaky wheel".
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Agreed...We live in an era of economic globalism. There is such thing as economic reality which is inherently based on human nature. Those businesses that fail to take this into account will be eaten up by those that do.
ChrisR wrote:I have the tenacious and a few Byrd knives and they are very good indeed - incredible value for money.

I think any company that doesn't acknowledge the Chinese industrial juggernaut heading towards them is just going to get run over in the process. Chinese knives aren't for everyone but we can't stick our heads in the sand and hope that China will go away. The way for any manufacturing business to stay strong and compete with China is to retain it's distinctive identity and to manufacture high-end products at home but also to use the bits of China that will help it reach the lower, mass-retail end of the market too. This seems to be Spydercos strategy and I think they are spot on. :)
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

This I agree with too. For me, it all started with a Tenacious. Spending $100+ on a knife seemed crazy...now it seems like a good value.
Morris wrote:Spyderco just needs to admit that the Tenacious is just their "gateway drug"

to bigger and better offerings! :D

First time i saw the price for one i was sure it was a typo!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

Just got the Resilience and I have to say it's one heck of a knife. It's the biggest folder I've ever owned and worth every penny.

I've been EDCing the Tenacious for about a year now and have put it through some really heavy use. So far it's held up fantastically. It's my work horse.