The Rookie modification

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mako109

The Rookie modification

Post by Mako109 »

I could have posted this under the thread about modifications, but I thought the Rookie deserves a little attention of its own considering I haven't seen much discussion about it lately. This is a modified Rookie Sprint: Tom Krien regrind and low rider clip. It is now my favorite small pocket knife because it's thinner and lighter than its peers due to the single liner, and it sports a cutting edge just a smidge longer than a Delica or Caly 3. The light weight and low riding clip makes it easy to forget I'm carrying a pocket knife.

[img]<a%20href="http://s543.photobucket.com/albums/gg47 ... ucket"></a>[/img]
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Very nice, Mako. I need to think about doing that to mine. I like the cleaner FFG looking blade. Thanks for posting.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

Who did the clip? Did the lanyard tube get in the way of the clip installation? My lanyard tube sticks out a bit.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Clip is from USAKnifemaker.com. It's a simple swap, no modifications necessary. The lanyard hole is partially obstructed, less than 50%. I don't care for lanyards so the obstruction is of no concern to me. However, it clearly looks like there's enough space to fit a descent lanyard.
feed_the_animals

Post by feed_the_animals »

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

I've always been attracted to the Rookie because it traditional looking and conservative in its design theme. I love lots of the really radical looking spyders but I like the less immediately eye-catching one's too. And the Police is just too big and militant looking for many of my purposes.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I absolutely love the blade now - I'm not much for dagger-like swedges. Gorgeous! You just made me want the Rookie. Thanks for sharing.

- best wishes, Jazz.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Mako,
Very nice, and thanks for sharing.

Does anyone else think the Rookie is badly in need of jimping?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I like the clip. Shame about what happened to the blade, though. ;)

It's a great small/midsize knife, slim and small but with a lot of blade for the size. I'd love to see a micarta or even CF version... be a nice knife for dress up/suit carry.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

flash900 wrote:
does anyone else think the rookie is badly in need of jimping?
yes!

BTW: Is this http://www.usaknifemaker.com/ti-pocket- ... -1943.html the clip you used?

Thanks.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

cosmo7809 wrote: BTW: Is this http://www.usaknifemaker.com/ti-pocket- ... -1943.html the clip you used?
Yes that's the one!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Thank you sir!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Very nice mod. May I ask what the stamp is?
arty

Post by arty »

I would like to see one in CF. I'd buy it in an instant.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Freediver wrote:Very nice mod. May I ask what the stamp is?
Ahh, that's a hand carved Chinese seal bearing my name. I collect these both antique and new. Good ones, those made by master carvers, are becoming harder and harder to find, even in China. Thanks for asking.
NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic »

Very nice! I was considering a G10 Rookie last year but didn't like how much the handle tip protruded out of my pocket. I recently purchased some low rider clips from USA Knifemaker for my BM Mini Grips and Delica but think I may get one of these and do the mod. Mako, you mention that it was a straight swap? Does the Rookie have the same screw spacing as the Delica? I ask because I was told that the clips require minor drilling to make the holes closer together to fit the Delica.
KNIVES & POCKET TOOLS: Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556, 556SBK, Ritter Mini Grip. Spyderco 2x Caly3 G10, 1x Caly 3.5, 1 PM2, Delica1 SE, Delica4 PE, Salt1, Ladybug1, Ladybug2, 2x Ladybug H1, Pacific Salt, Dragonfly FRN, Dragonfly2 FRN, Dragonfly G10, Jester, Bug, Honeybee, 2x Grasshoppers, G10 154CM Manix2, Jerry Hossom Forester.
Others: RAT Cutlery ZT0350, ZT0560, ZT0566, Izula, Izula II, Rat Pack RC-3, RC-4, RC-6,Lite Machete Fallkniven F1, U2, Wenger too many Victorinox too many Beretta, BHK Sml Tiger Knapp, Leatherman Wave, Wave II, Squirt P4[/size]
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Hi NaturalMystic - correct it is a straight swap.

The G10 Rookie has a wider screw spacing than the G10 Delica. The Rookie uses the older "straight" style clip, while the Delica uses the newer "hour-glass" shaped clip which has a narrower screw spacing.

I think you'll like the way the narrow USAKnifemaker clip will ride in your pocket.

Enjoy!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Mako109 wrote:Ahh, that's a hand carved Chinese seal bearing my name. I collect these both antique and new. Good ones, those made by master carvers, are becoming harder and harder to find, even in China. Thanks for asking.
Mako, that is a really nice piece.
NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic »

Mako109 wrote:Hi NaturalMystic - correct it is a straight swap.

The G10 Rookie has a wider screw spacing than the G10 Delica. The Rookie uses the older "straight" style clip, while the Delica uses the newer "hour-glass" shaped clip which has a narrower screw spacing.

I think you'll like the way the narrow USAKnifemaker clip will ride in your pocket.

Enjoy!
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. Correction: I'm using an STR low rider clip on my Ritter Mini Grip and a USA Knifemaker clip on my regular Mini Grip and while the latter is not as nice (finished) as STR's it does the job well. I think I bought 3 or so from USA Knifemaker for my Delica and any other knives I wanted to put a low rider clip on so hopefully I do get a Rookie sometime soon and can do the mod. I've got several other knives on the To Buy list first though!
KNIVES & POCKET TOOLS: Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556, 556SBK, Ritter Mini Grip. Spyderco 2x Caly3 G10, 1x Caly 3.5, 1 PM2, Delica1 SE, Delica4 PE, Salt1, Ladybug1, Ladybug2, 2x Ladybug H1, Pacific Salt, Dragonfly FRN, Dragonfly2 FRN, Dragonfly G10, Jester, Bug, Honeybee, 2x Grasshoppers, G10 154CM Manix2, Jerry Hossom Forester.
Others: RAT Cutlery ZT0350, ZT0560, ZT0566, Izula, Izula II, Rat Pack RC-3, RC-4, RC-6,Lite Machete Fallkniven F1, U2, Wenger too many Victorinox too many Beretta, BHK Sml Tiger Knapp, Leatherman Wave, Wave II, Squirt P4[/size]
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Hey Mako, after you confirmed that the link I posted as the correct clips I purchased two.

One for my Rookie because while I love the knife, the clip never did it for me.

And the other for well... Who knows... I dont know what else it will fit on. But it is nice to have a backup just in case I want to experiment with the first.
DM11

Post by DM11 »

:cool: Rookie!
Hold Fast

David