MT08P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Aogami Super Blue Steel

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
xc6w

Post by xc6w »

Thank you Sal.

benh, I agree. Caly3 in CF/Super Blue would be perfect!
First Spyderco - Delica 4
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I just received my next (3rd) super blue mule and it really looks like someone at Spyderco buffed it out a bit. That, or it was finished to a different, higher grit finish and buff than the first two I bought. This steel really gets a beautiful color, and a nice gloss. It really is a very nice all around steel to work with.

It sharpens like a dream. Slices like a demon, and, if you read the test results Jim Ankerson got from this steel it shows wear resistance and edge stability that puts it in the category of the best of the best in the production class.

I've heard people talk about it's lack of corrosion resistance. While true, I say it's an order of magnitude better than Hitachi's "white" steel.

So, it needs maintenance. That's really not an issue with me, but it might be with some. IMO, it has the potential to be the highest performing, meanest slicing folding knife ever put out by a production company.

Kept at RC 62, thin, flat ground and no more than .010 behind the bevel it'll outcut anything on the market. It'll never be a Salt, or a folding prybar, but it'll hang with any slicing machine made. With a high grit finish it will be one of the prettiest too, IMO.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:I just received my next (3rd) super blue mule and it really looks like someone at Spyderco buffed it out a bit. That, or it was finished to a different, higher grit finish and buff than the first two I bought. This steel really gets a beautiful color, and a nice gloss. It really is a very nice all around steel to work with.

It sharpens like a dream. Slices like a demon, and, if you read the test results Jim Ankerson got from this steel it shows wear resistance and edge stability that puts it in the category of the best of the best in the production class.

I've heard people talk about it's lack of corrosion resistance. While true, I say it's an order of magnitude better than Hitachi's "white" steel.

So, it needs maintenance. That's really not an issue with me, but it might be with some. IMO, it has the potential to be the highest performing, meanest slicing folding knife ever put out by a production company.

Kept at RC 62, thin, flat ground and no more than .010 behind the bevel it'll outcut anything on the market. It'll never be a Salt, or a folding prybar, but it'll hang with any slicing machine made. With a high grit finish it will be one of the prettiest too, IMO.

I would love to see one that thin, .010 behind the edge then put a nice 30 degree inclusive edge on it, Oh yeah it would really be something. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

So, what do we use to patina this thing blue?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

Donut wrote:So, what do we use to patina this thing blue?
Apples will do it - check out my post on the previous page.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

gun blueing solution would surely darken that.
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

I want the gray titanium scales from halpern for my Mule, with the needed pins and pivots. I can not find it on there site. Is it still available? anyone know the price?

There is no buy option on site either, do I really need to call Halpern?
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

p3pe wrote:I want the gray titanium scales from halpern for my Mule, with the needed pins and pivots. I can not find it on there site. Is it still available? anyone know the price?

There is no buy option on site either, do I really need to call Halpern?
I don't think they are making scales in materials other than G10 at this time, although I might have missed it. Phone works well, but you can also email Melanie or join the Usual Suspects Network and post an inquiry in their subforum there. They don't have a storefront set up on their corporate webpage.
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

Another question... if I decide to get out the wetsand and put a better finish on my Mule, will it take the spyderco logo and the stuff where the blade meets the handle (name and make etc) off as well? I don't want to take that off but I would like a better finish on it!
‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.":spyder:Robert Heinlein
bladefan

Post by bladefan »

Here is my red handled M4...

Morris

Post by Morris »

I am constantly amazed at the kick *** (ha ha!) work done by you Mule Teamers!!!

What a great looking red with very nice refinements!

-keep up the good work- and post your pics if you haven't before. love it!
MCM

Post by MCM »

So how does the Super Blue Mule perform?

Whats it remind you of? M4? Something else?

Thanks!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

MCM wrote:So how does the Super Blue Mule perform?

Whats it remind you of? M4? Something else?

Thanks!
Jim's thread in the Knife Testing section at BF puts it in his top category, with M4.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

dang now i got two mules on order. :eek:
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

I just put together my Aogami Mule and used it in the kitchen to cut some cucumbers, tomatoes and an apple. It sliced very well and as mentioned before the apple did put a patina on it. I'm very happy with this knife and look forward to putting it to use.

I think Sal should look at using this type of steel if they plan on making kitchen knives in the future or maybe a Stretch or Delica version along with the Caly 3.5 it's a great slicer.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

bladefan wrote:Here is my red handled M4...

i see you did some mods to the lower part of the blade, ground off part of the tang. looks cool.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
MCM

Post by MCM »

Picked up (2) yesterday when they were showing (27) in stock.
Today (20) are showing up as available.

Thought I missed the boat last week when they were listed as "out of stock".
Then another batch mysteriously showed up.
Not really sure how many are actually left?
(20) for sure. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The web inventory is uploaded manually by SFO and doesn't reflect total inventory. :)
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

Is it supposed to be sharpened, mine came really sharp out of the box. Im making scales for a handle to it now :)
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

Anyone?