Cold Steel getting in on the compact/lightweight bandwagon.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
HotSoup

Cold Steel getting in on the compact/lightweight bandwagon.

Post by HotSoup »

New for 2011! It even has a 'Spyderhole'.

http://dealerscorner.coldsteel.com/Products/20MT/

Ugly as sin IMO, but, it'll probably sell well due to its low price.

What do you think?
Personally, I'd rather have a Persistence :p
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

That's closer to a "Scagel-hole."
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I like the finger choil. Personally, I really prefer small blade, long handle; much like the yojimbo. (This sorta fits that category..) I wonder what the non-lite version will look like. Perhaps they'll use san mai III instead? And yes, I'm with you hotsoup on the Persistence.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hey, looks good for the price!
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Don't like Grivory, feels hard and no traction.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Hey, looks good for the price!
get what you pay for...

spaced jimping for the whole spine almost-

i agree it is pretty ugly/cheap looking. i dislike cs products. i dont mind the hole in the blade. a bajillion people have ripped off spy with impunity so THAT doesnt bother me.

copying = flatterly
LDB

Post by LDB »

If it ever grows up into a real knife it might be ok but if a blade isn't at least 3" it's a knife wannabe.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Looks like a Native III and a Leafstorm screwed.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

LDB wrote:If it ever grows up into a real knife it might be ok but if a blade isn't at least 3" it's a knife wannabe.
Delica-2 7/8", Persistence-2 3/4', Yojimbo-2 7/8.

Not knives? ;)
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

LDB wrote:If it ever grows up into a real knife it might be ok but if a blade isn't at least 3" it's a knife wannabe.
Actually a pretty offensive comment to make on the Spyderco Forums.
After all Spyderco pretty much specializes in "Little Big Knives".
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Bluntrauma wrote:Looks like a Native III and a Leafstorm screwed.
hmmm. the first thing i thought of was it looks like a poliwog, kinda.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Native/Poliwog hybrid. I'll pass. I do like the deep double choil though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David

Post by 224477 »

Dunno whos the designer of this, but I recall some early designs of Chad Los Banos to look very close to that.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Morris

Post by Morris »

Looks like it wants to be a Poliwog...
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

SmoothOne25 wrote: i dont mind the hole in the blade. a bajillion people have ripped off spy with impunity so THAT doesnt bother me.
Just for clarity, Spyderco has IP protection on a few hole shapes, but I don't believe that particular oval shape is one of them. Not everyone who puts a hole of some sort in the blade is ripping off Spyderco in any way -- not saying anyone has said that on this thread, but some of the comments can be construed that way. There are companies who have actually ripped off Spyderco's IP, we shouldn't get distracted by a knife which does not.

That aside, I like the overall design of this knife... CS's execution of it does give it a bit of a cheap-ish look, though I'm interested in seeing it in person.
LDB

Post by LDB »

Didn't intend to ruffle any feathers, just don't care for short little knives that have twice as much handle as knife. Didn't realize it was so easy to do. And I don't care for the Delica but like the Endura and don't care for the Persistence but like the Resilience. Now, I don't want any of those tiny knives used on me but for a knife to carry etc. I want one full grown.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Joe Talmadge wrote:Just for clarity, Spyderco has IP protection on a few hole shapes, but I don't believe that particular oval shape is one of them. Not everyone who puts a hole of some sort in the blade is ripping off Spyderco in any way -- not saying anyone has said that on this thread, but some of the comments can be construed that way. There are companies who have actually ripped off Spyderco's IP, we shouldn't get distracted by a knife which does not.

That aside, I like the overall design of this knife... CS's execution of it does give it a bit of a cheap-ish look, though I'm interested in seeing it in person.
First of all Joe, what does IP mean. I assume you don't mean Internet Protocol. :) I also think this looks like a useful knife but would want to see one in person as well. The price isn't mortgage threatening but I'd rather pay more for quality than $35 for lower quality (not that this knife is lower quality). I have two lower priced Cold Steel products (no folders) and have been happy with both.

Jack
PS, If $35 is Cold Steel's price it is probably available for around $25.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:First of all Joe, what does IP mean. I assume you don't mean Internet Protocol. :) I also think this looks like a useful knife but would want to see one in person as well. The price isn't mortgage threatening but I'd rather pay more for quality than $35 for lower quality (not that this knife is lower quality). I have two lower priced Cold Steel products (no folders) and have been happy with both.

Jack
PS, If $35 is Cold Steel's price it is probably available for around $25.
IP is also the acronym for Intellectual Property, which encompasses patents, copyrights, and trademarks. Spyderco at one point had a patent on "a depression in the blade of a folding knife that allows one handed opening". That encompassed both "holes", regardless of shape, and things like the trapezoidal depressions in the blade of a C27 Jess Horn. That patent has since expired, but Spyderco claimed the round hole opener as a trademark since, aside from the above mentioned Jess Horn, it's been used on every folder they've put their name on since they started making knives. When they started making the Byrd line they trademarked its unique hole shape as well.

As stated, the Cold Steel knife in question does not infringe that trademark, it looks more like the "capsule" shape Strider and at least a couple other companies use. Definitely has some points I like, deep choil Image no Boye Dent Image Image
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

IP = Intellectual Property
Teddy Thompson

Post by Teddy Thompson »

Joe Talmadge wrote:IP = Intellectual Property
Yes.

FWIW, I've never had any trouble confusing the two uses of IP. With the possible exception of some technical literature regarding the protocol itself, where the meaning would be obvious, I can't recall IP ever being used to mean Internet Protocol without being directly followed by the word address.
Support your right to keep and arm bears!