Checking in, first post, first day 2011

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

A fillet knife is what got me into custom knives in the beginning. As a salt water fisherman there just was nothing out there at the time that had good flex and would hold a decent edge. I still enjoy making them. The fillet knife project with Sal taught me a lot about what it takes to get a design into production. The final prototype we did is now my Shelter Cove. If we ever get back into the fillet knife discussion we would start with a proven concept.
Joe you are right on with the general idea. The final blade shape is evolving and I have a prototype ready to send to Sal. Phil
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Man Phil that's even better: a collaborative effort on a beautiful all around camping field dressing tool. NOW IM REALLY REALLY Excited!!! Esp. If its above 4.75" a lil stout and mean in its multiple personality disorder. aggressive towards getting many a job done however necessary. Thx again a this is sure to get more exciting in the near future; im sure. !
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Welcome Phil! I'll admit I too was not familiar with your work and googled your site. I like what I see!

I do hope this collaboration with Spyderco goes very well, so that perhaps the filet knife idea can come to fruition. I do have quite a few filet knives (and am not really that great at catching the fish in the first place :) ) but I don't think any of the ones I have are really top notch. I do plan to purchase the Catcherman if the USN sprint run version of it does come about.