Bladesports school in Tx.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dphillips

Bladesports school in Tx.

Post by dphillips »

Just wanted to keep you guys updated. Bladesports had a school and cut this past weekend. Here is a link to the second video.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=LuFKCnzrwNQ

Sorry I don't know how to embed it.
This was my fourth cut of the season and I have won 3 of them. Hope ya'll enjoy it.
Thanks for the support,
Donavon
unit

Post by unit »

Donavon,

Congratulations on all your success this year!

This BSI stuff is some really fun stuff to watch, I urge anyone who thinks they might be even REMOTELY interested to try and check out an event in person...you may be surprised at how engaged you will become. They are truly exciting to watch!

I won't spoil it by giving away the overall winner ;)

Here is an embedded version of the video...worth watching!
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LuFKCnzrwNQ?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LuFKCnzrwNQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Ed Schempp

Congratulations Donavon

Post by Ed Schempp »

Great performance Donavon. You do a tremendous job representing Spyderco...Take Care....Ed
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Nicely done, Donovan. Congrats!

Please tell me more about how these comps work? I see everyone using an identical appearing knife--do you each have to make one according to some specs set down for the competition? Or does the sponsor provide a set of knives for all to use, so that you are testing YOU skill, not the blade quality?
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
unit

Post by unit »

There are specs available on the website:
http://www.bladesports.org/index.html

There are cutters of both types (purchased and user built). Many of the very skilled cutters you see use the Benchmade cutter that you can buy, others make their own (and they would make one for you for a price in many cases).

While the blades are highly specialized, and very sharp, I will tell you that a VERY strong man with the GREATEST cutter blade ever made would not do very well in these competitions without a HIGH level of SKILL. I am not a cutter, but I am a big fan and have talked to many cutters (both champions and those who come in well short of victory)...and they all say the same thing, "it is not the knife that made me lose/win". While I cannot say for sure...I assume it is like the bats in the hands of major league baseball players...you need decent equipment, but that is not going to make near the difference that skill (accuracy and form) plays.

The competitions are timed, and you must proceed through the course in order. Your time in seconds is taken as a starting point, and penalties are added, and bonuses (for successful cuts) are subtracted from that total. Lowest adjusted total wins.

White cutters are generally newer guys that have been cutting less than a year and not won any competitions. Red level cutters are the guys with a bit more experience. However t is not unheard of for a White cutter to score above a Red cutter.

There is a lot more info on the website. Check it out!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

dphillips

Post by dphillips »

Monkeywrangler wrote:Nicely done, Donovan. Congrats!

Please tell me more about how these comps work? I see everyone using an identical appearing knife--do you each have to make one according to some specs set down for the competition? Or does the sponsor provide a set of knives for all to use, so that you are testing YOU skill, not the blade quality?
As far as the knives go, the max. specs are 10" blade, 15" overall and 2" wide. Thickness and weight are up the user. We all have similar bladeshapes because the cleaver style lets us balance the knives with a more weight forward bias. The main difference between the knives is weight. There are guys using 1lb 5oz knives up to 1lb 15oz. Personally my current one weighs 1lb 10oz. I do make my own knives. The knives used in competition have to be made by a BladeSports certified knifemaker or a manufacturer that has submitted 2 blanks and 1 complete knife for approval by BladeSports. Most of the blades are handmade at this time. Hope this answers some questions. Feel free to keep them coming.

Donavon
Jose Diaz

Post by Jose Diaz »

Late post, but, here it is anyway.
Congratulation Donavon, you ROCK!

respectfully,
Jose Diaz
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

The SFO has a few of these types of blades in a museum type display and they look wicked. Pure function, and watching them in the hands of a competitor is awesome. I wish there were more competitions, I'd love to see one here in Colorado.
STWesterner

suzi_q3579@yahoo.com

Post by STWesterner »

does anyone know how to find out which steel each guy used
unit

Post by unit »

M4 is very popular in these events.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Awesome!
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
Jose Diaz

Post by Jose Diaz »

STWesterner wrote:does anyone know how to find out which steel each guy used
Unit is right. The majority of the steel is CPM M4. I sometimes use 52100.

At this competition everyone used CPM M4.
Jose Diaz

Post by Jose Diaz »

SQSAR wrote:The SFO has a few of these types of blades in a museum type display and they look wicked. Pure function, and watching them in the hands of a competitor is awesome. I wish there were more competitions, I'd love to see one here in Colorado.
With Spyderco's help, we'll hopefully have a competition in the next year or two in Colorado.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Man I hope one comes to Colorado. That will be awesome to see in person.
Jbgecko13

Post by Jbgecko13 »

I know its that time of the year again with another competition coming up, but does Spyderco make a knife for its team members?
Jose Diaz

Post by Jose Diaz »

Jbgecko13 wrote:I know its that time of the year again with another competition coming up, but does Spyderco make a knife for its team members?
Spyderco does not yet make a competition knife, but they are working with their sponsored cutters to develop a design.
respectfully,
Jose Diaz
http://www.diaztools.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice work Donovan! Just saw the Facebook newsflash :)