Frn????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
henhen14

Frn????

Post by henhen14 »

Hi,
I'm getting my first Spyderco, a Delica FFG. It's shipping and it's gonna be here soon. I was just wondering what FRN felt like, hard plastic or more of a rubbery texture? Thx
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Short answer - hard plastic :) definitely not rubbery. Very hard wearing and easy to keep clean
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Hard but textured for a good grip. I like it better than CF bacause of the grip. I have a knife with kraton scales (like rubber). Best grip I've ever seen. Not real good on knives with pocket clips because it doesn't slide out of the pocket easy I've been told and believe. I think you will be happy.

Jack
PS
Holds up well to pouring power steering fluid all over it. lol
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

As above, a hard material which is nicely textured and very comfortable. I am developing a renewed respect for just how good a material it is.

Congrats on the new Delica, I'm sure you'll love it.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Welcome to the forums!

You will enjoy your Delica.

Many more :spyder: 's to come after that.
setldown

Post by setldown »

Image henhen14

The Delica you ordered is a fine choice. FFG Vg10 is right at the top of my favorite all around steels. Enjoy!
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

If this is your first Spyderco, congratulations, and I'd bet you'll be looking for your second by the end of the year. They are very addictive. Especially to those of us with poor impulse control. As a former psychotherapist, if I was working for Spyderco's marketing department, my tag-line would be this: "Spyderco addiction, , at least it's better than meth."
marknett

Post by marknett »

If this is your first Spyderco, congratulations, and I'd bet you'll be looking for your second by the end of the year. They are very addictive. Especially to those of us with poor impulse control. As a former psychotherapist, if I was working for Spyderco's marketing department, my tag-line would be this: "Spyderco addiction, , at least it's better than meth."

:eek: but probably just as expensive !!! :p That's funny SQSAR :D
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
henhen14

Post by henhen14 »

Thanks for all the comments! I can't wait, it'll be here in about 2 days. :) Is there anything else I should know?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

+ 1 on all previous positive comments on FRN. But for your future purchases make sure you add models with handles made with G-10 and Carbon fiber. They're in a different class.

Welcome to the forums.

I like this tag-line: "Spyderco...feed the addiction" :D
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

henhen14 wrote:Is there anything else I should know?
Hmm ... don't try to cut steel bars with it ... avoid temperatures over 1000C ... and only ever grip the FRN part :D Other than that you shouldn't go far wrong with a Delica ;) If the edge does loose its keen-ness then get hold of a Spyderco SharpMaker and that'll get it up to razor sharp with no trouble ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've always thought FRN to be softer than most "hard plastics". It always feels warmer to the touch and more receptive/secure in the hand.

When I think about "hard plastic" I think about action figures from my youth. Cold and slippery.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I agree with ChrisR, a Spyderco Sharpmaker is probably some of the best money you will ever spend. Easy to use is an understatement. Use the **** out of your Delica during the day, and in less than a minute on the Sharpmaker that evening and your blade is hair slicing sharp again.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Looks cheep, but it isn't. Never had FRN disappoint me.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

gull wing wrote:Looks cheep, but it isn't. Never had FRN disappoint me.
Boom! Right on. I've gotten to the point where I LOVE FRN. I like it more than G10, carbon fiber, and any other handle material.

I used to think it was just cheap plastic. It has turned out to be the most durable, wear resistant, awesome handle material ever.

FRN is awesome. About like handle of a Glock. Freakin' just about indestructible.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Although FRN is not a soft plastic, it's not without a tiny touch of give. I find Spyderdo's diamond checkered FRN to be pretty much ideal for EDC. I actually prefer it to the G-10 I've got.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
syphen

Post by syphen »

FRN is a great material. I've never had a problem with it breaking or damaging it. My keychain ladybug salt gets a little dirty but a quick wipe with a damp cloth cleans it right up.

Spyderco knives are great... I started the year with 2... both gifts (Dragonfly's actually). They sparked my interest enough to further investigate the lineup. I now have 18 spydies and 2 Byrds in my collection as the year comes to a close and more to come - there is a few in the new 2011 catalogue that i've ear marked pages and plan on ordering.
Too many Spydies to list!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:I've always thought FRN to be softer than most "hard plastics". It always feels warmer to the touch and more receptive/secure in the hand.

When I think about "hard plastic" I think about action figures from my youth. Cold and slippery.
Very true. FRN is basically Nylon which is an extremely firm plastic, but not "hard" in the same sense styrene, Bakelite, plexiglass, or lexan are hard.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
henhen14

Post by henhen14 »

sweet. I thought it would feel really cheap, but i guess not :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

henhen14 wrote:sweet. I thought it would feel really cheap, but i guess not :D
No but it will look cheap. :p

For a working knife it's hard to beat properly checkered/textured FRN. Most the Spyderco naysayers have never held one but poo-poo the strange hole and funny colorful handles.

A Stretch FRN in hand is like the car seat of a 911. :D