Delica FFG vs Saber Grind

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MyNameIsJoe

Delica FFG vs Saber Grind

Post by MyNameIsJoe »

I want to buy a delica but I'm unsure if I should get an FFG or saber type. I will use this knife for mainly for edc tasks, but is may see some heavy duty use.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I say Saber if it will ever see heavier use.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

I currently don't own any saber grind spydies, but I bought my gf a limited run endura w/ pink frn scales and have used it quite a bit. I can undoubtably say that either one would serve you great and it really depends on how you are with your knives. If you want a superior slicer, ffg is the way to go and I feel it is plenty strong for most edc chores. If you plan on prying, doing a lot of heavy work with the tip and like a heftier feel, then I'd opt for the saber grind. Hope that helps some.. peace
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Saber since the FFG Delicas aren't waved :p
I have a few Delicas but none of them flat grind. I also have other knives similar blade length and stock thickness, flat ground and hollow ground. All of them work fine for everyday tasks. Pick a color.
MyNameIsJoe

Post by MyNameIsJoe »

ChrisM wrote:Saber since the FFG Delicas aren't waved :p
I have a few Delicas but none of them flat grind. I also have other knives similar blade length and stock thickness, flat ground and hollow ground. All of them work fine for everyday tasks. Pick a color.
So, would the saber grind wok for batoning even?
organ

Post by organ »

MyNameIsJoe wrote:So, would the saber grind wok for batoning even?
What do you plan on batoning with a 2 7/8" blade?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I prefer the saber grind for two reasons....one, because the tip is MUCH thicker and stronger, and if i break something on a knife it's usually the tip, and two because i use a Lansky and it clamps onto saber grinds better so sharpening is a little easier. Some of those FFG blades just get so thin at the tip...they feel fragile in my gorilla hands and the last thing i want is a broken knife. I rarely carry my Caly 3 for this reason, and i've fallen in love with my Para because despite the FFG blade it still has a strong tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

95% of all my knives are saber ground. I have 2 FFG blades. 1 gets carried to church, and other is a old stockman I carry in my pocket almost always.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The Delica already uses thinner blade stock than most of the line-up. So I think the saber ground version is a good choice. For me, I like the FFG version because I value slicing and piercing ability over toughness.
bowarrow2000

Post by bowarrow2000 »

If you plan on batoning don't get a folder. Batoning is knife abuse. Use the right tool for the job. Either the flat grind or the sabre grind will make a great EDC knife.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I agree. Batoning is knife abuse. The only time I would consider doing this is if I was in a survival situation and my life depended on it...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
kawr

Post by kawr »

I'm going to go against the majority here and say get the FFG. My FFG Delica is one of the best slicing and cutting tools I have ever used and I wouldnt trade that for a thicker blade stock and tip. If I need to do some really hard work I'll get a bigger knife. I would rather have my Delica be amazing at cutting things up rather than be semi decent at it just so it can be minimally better at "hard use". Besides the FFG Delica holds up to any edc task like a champ. If you absolutely need a sub 3 inch blade that can baton then you need to look into neck knives like the Izula because batoning with a 3 inch folder is pretty ridiculous ;) .
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Although the edge isn't perfect this SG Delica is one of the sharpest :spyder: 's I own. It'll outcut my FFG now.

Batoning????? I'll grab a hatchet.
Attachments
delica.jpg
delica.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My solution for this debate was to get the ZDP version and take the back bevel waaaay down to like 10ish degrees per side and then micro bevel the primary edge to 40. This knife gets used to cut cardboard more than anything, but also things like nylon bundling straps, tons of tape, shrink wrap, zip ties and anything else i run across so the 40 micro bevel works awesome because it isn't as thin as the back bevel, but the back bevel makes it a lot thinner behind the edge so it slices very nice. I won't go so far as to say it slices as good or better than an FFG, but when i'm cutting through double wall corrugated it sure feels a lot more sturdy. I tend to cut with the first 1/4 inch of the tip 90% of the time so having that thick tip is very reassuring.

I'd love to get my hands on an FFG Delica and a mic and measure the thickness behind the edge of it and compare it to mine. Although mine looks extreme, i really don't think it's any thinner behind the edge than the FFG knives are...it's nowhere near as thin as my Caly 3 so i don't have any worries about it being too thin or weak.

By the way this pic was taken before the micro bevel was put on. Someone on here called this a secondary saber grind...that's not far from the truth really. Once the primary edge bevel starts to get more pronounced that's basically what it looks like.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yeh, I do like an FFG but I don't believe that it's the answer to all cutting needs.
araneae

Post by araneae »

That's a pretty edge there Evil D. Wanna do mine too? :D

I anticipate reprofiling the ZDP D4 I am waiting for the mailman to bring. Hope it turns out that well. I am also toying with the idea of attempting a regrind, but frankly the thought makes my palms sweat.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't be opposed to it....? Regrinds are way out of my league though.
~David
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

I'd go with FFG. These knives are tougher than people think. The Delica is a small knife (batoning with a 2.5" blade? not gonna happen) so I want it to be designed for cutting. Also, I think the FFG is more aesthetically pleasing.

Saber - http://faq.customtacticals.com/geometry/grind_sabre.php

FFG - http://www.jayfisher.com/Blades.htm#The_Flat_grind
angusW

Post by angusW »

I don't have a Delica yet but reading this thread makes me want to get one in ZDP and then do a regrind. I've got a couple days off so I think I'm going to hit up S&R. That's a very nice regrind Evil D.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

That's an great looking knife there evil. I thinking of just leaving mine grind alone and just touch up the factory edge and put a polish on it. Almost all my blades are savor grind and the factory edge on them ( after I sharpen it) suits me just fine.