Somethings Missing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Dialex Jr.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think there's only one carbon steel blade in there and the Hossoms are gone, so there aren't many full tang fixed blades.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

For me a revised Barong would have been nice....but they normally release details of more during the year so theres still hope.

Its not so much what they produce but how. Holding up regular production just so 700 people can have grey G10 or somesuch seems to be a bit flawed to me.

Not ragging on special runs - but if it delays production of regular models its not good business practice IMO.
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

bh49 wrote:I do not see much of gentlemen knives, something classy with bolsters and handle with natural materials. Navaja is nice, I really hope to see it in the first half of 2011, but it is little too big for gents knife and CF is not natural material.
+1 on the first sentence.
Although I think CF works well for a gentleman's knife. Navaja is the only one I'll be buying.

EDIT: Just noticed Taiwan on the Navaja. I probably won't be buying any Spydercos this year (well, not new ones).
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Teeth. Lack of a SE Para 2 was a disappointment for me. This is one knife that I would love to have. Also I was hoping to see a Jester sprint in the catalog. But there is always next summer.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

If there is, a Military 2, with bigger screws and the bushing system.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

monsterdog wrote:dialex jr.
+1k
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
araneae

Post by araneae »

marlinspike wrote:+1 on the first sentence.
Although I think CF works well for a gentleman's knife. Navaja is the only one I'll be buying.

EDIT: Just noticed Taiwan on the Navaja. I probably won't be buying any Spydercos this year (well, not new ones).
If you avoid Taiwan made Spydies you may be missing out on some of the best built pieces. By all accounts the maker is producing pretty impeccable work.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Frapiscide wrote:If there is, a Military 2, with bigger screws and the bushing system.
Just the screws if possible, I hope no
bushing system on the millie 2.
scout

Post by scout »

' ..... :)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

scout wrote:' ..... :)
What?

LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Scout was taking me literally when I posted somethings missing...LOL...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Rambo241

Post by Rambo241 »

More fixed blades!
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

araneae wrote:If you avoid Taiwan made Spydies you may be missing out on some of the best built pieces. By all accounts the maker is producing pretty impeccable work.
See, that's why I said probably. The thing that made it "probably" and not simply "won't be buying" is I needed to look into it more. I can see outsourcing to Japan and a move in the direction of simply looking for a different type of knife (be it steel or production numbers or handwork), but my worry was outsourcing to Taiwan was purely a cost consideration. This is what I need to look into more. Generally I don't buy products made in countries that don't have comparable labor and environmental laws as the US (de facto if not de jure).
phaust

Post by phaust »

marlinspike wrote:See, that's why I said probably. The thing that made it "probably" and not simply "won't be buying" is I needed to look into it more. I can see outsourcing to Japan and a move in the direction of simply looking for a different type of knife (be it steel or production numbers or handwork), but my worry was outsourcing to Taiwan was purely a cost consideration. This is what I need to look into more. Generally I don't buy products made in countries that don't have comparable labor and environmental laws as the US (de facto if not de jure).
It seems like Taiwan has better labors laws than the US: http://www.ehow.com/list_6082101_labor-laws-taiwan.html. It's illegal to work more than 84 hours within two weeks! BRB gotta go book a flight :p . Seriously though, do you know of anything specific they lack in terms of labor laws? I know nothing beyond what I just googled, besides what I saw on vacation there a couple years ago. It seems quite comparable, though--no child labor, they have minimum wage, etc.

If their EPA site is accurate, it seems like they have quite a few environmental laws, also http://law.epa.gov.tw/en/.

Taiwan is a beautiful county that is quite Westernized, but in the West it is often characterized by how it was decades ago.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

marlinspike wrote:See, that's why I said probably. The thing that made it "probably" and not simply "won't be buying" is I needed to look into it more. I can see outsourcing to Japan and a move in the direction of simply looking for a different type of knife (be it steel or production numbers or handwork), but my worry was outsourcing to Taiwan was purely a cost consideration. This is what I need to look into more. Generally I don't buy products made in countries that don't have comparable labor and environmental laws as the US (de facto if not de jure).

+1....in total agreement.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

marlinspike wrote:+1 on the first sentence.

To tell the truth CF is only OK in my book, with Taiwanese CF been the best. Still prefer wood, bone, stag or micarta (like on old Vieles or Hossom).

araneae wrote:If you avoid Taiwan made Spydies you may be missing out on some of the best built pieces. By all accounts the maker is producing pretty impeccable work.
+1
I owned most of Taiwanese made Spydies and found F&F outstanding, the same quality as Japanese made or better. Also it looks like more and more models made in Taiwan and less in Japan. I hope that current maker will be able to keep up with quantities. Grows of the company can be dangerous thing for quality. It looks like that with yen going up, Japanese made knives will have really hard competition. I miss nice bolstered knives made by Moki.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

phaust wrote: Seriously though, do you know of anything specific they lack in terms of labor laws?
Enforcement. Generally, this turns out to be the actual deciding factor. China has some environmental laws too, but nobody cares to enforce them. What I've read says there is a lot of child labor going on behind the scenes in Taiwan.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Oh good Lord, not this crap again! :rolleyes:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The Deacon wrote:Oh good Lord, not this crap again! :rolleyes:
Yeah I don't like Take Out either Paul...the food gets too cold by the time you get it home :p ...Doc :D